Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash Light'g on/off on it's own...

jbr927 Guest

Dash Light'g on/off on it's own...

I've noticed over the last couple weeks that the dash lights (during the day) come on and off on their own? I run w/ the lights on all the time now. However, when I first got the car I had the "auto" on.

I read the wiper/lights threads and they go on/off when it's cloudy or raining, but the headlamps are on all the time? I did search at length for other threads on this and had no luck. So any leads on this would be great.

Thanks

Jacki

Happy Holidays - be safe out there - people are a little testy...

The only oddity I've noticed wiyh dash light is the backlighting on the console gauges appears to flicker-not occasionally, but consistently. Can't notice it in the rest of the dash backlighting-just the oil and volts.
    Mike aka "RedMM" 2004 MERCURY MARAUDER aka"Raudey"(born on 09/30/03 came home on 10/23/03)Dark Toreador Red

2004 MERCURY MONTEREY PREMIER aka"MONTY"(born on 05/26/04 came home on 06/30/04)Norcea

There is a TSB on "auto lamps" but I don't know the issue. I drive with my lights on full time, and haven't noticed any complications, maybe this is why.

Can anyone here research this TSB for us? I may need a repair and not know it.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Are your wipers on?

Also, I think there was an issue with over-sensitive light sensors as well.

jbr927 Guest
    Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    Are your wipers on?
    They were - as needed, I will pay more attention to if that's when it was go'g on/off.

Thx - J

jbr927 Guest
    Would the dash lights still turn on/off w/ the wipers even when the head lamps are turned to "on"? Shouldn't the dash light just be on and stay on? Or is the light sensor still in effect when it daylight?

Thx - J

If you are using the wipers, the lights will come on, all lights, after a short delay. They will stay on as long as the wipers are on, either full on, or set on interval. After the wipers are off, again, after a short delay they will turn off hen the wiper switch is in the off position. This is a pet peve of mine, I think all cars should be equipped this way. There are so many dummies running around with no lights in bad weather. Likewise with DRL's! You may have the headlights burning, but there are no tail lights burning. People seem to think all there lights are on when the drl's on are. Nada, Nada!

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

jbr927 Guest
    Originally posted by Murader03
    If you are using the wipers, the lights will come on, all lights, after a short delay. They will stay on as long as the wipers are on, either full on, or set on interval.(

Ok, I'm still a bit confused on this. My lights are on all the time. Not on auto or DRL. Shouldn't the dash lights just be "on" if the lamplights are on?

Thanks for your imput

J

Dunno what could be causing your symptoms, jbr. But here's a few things I've learned about lights in this car...

1. The dash backlighting WILL flicker slightly at normal operation. My grandmother's '92 TownCar does this too, always has, so evidently FMC ain't fixed much in the intervening time. It's the distributor. At the low rpms at idle, the dist gets loaded (particularly if you're like me, and your typical "night" profile is park/heads/fogs/heater and maybe defrost/radio/sat. radio and cranked to the rafters!), and you'll notice some mild flicker. Shouldn't be that bad tho, and oughta go away at normal cruise.

2. I think this car's got a failsafe in its electrical system to prevent overloads in the lighting circuit. Just discovered it the other night cruising home---had my typical "night" lighting profile on (see above), and got some dumbnuts in front of me that insisted on doing 35 in a 65 zone. Went to flash the brights at him, and just happened to notice that the green indicator for the fogs went out when I flashed the brights at him. Apparently the lighting circuit can't handle the additional load, so if you've got the fogs on and pull the brights, the fogs will shut off and the brights will come on, and I'm guessing (emphasis on the guessing) that that's normal, so that the electrical system won't blow a fuse from the load.

Guess those brights are pretty bright...
    Traveling the world on PONTIAC power!

Originally posted by jbr927

Ok, I'm still a bit confused on this. My lights are on all the time. Not on auto or DRL. Shouldn't the dash lights just be "on" if the lamplights are on?

Thanks for your imput

J
    DRL - Daytime running lights - turn the high beams on to 75% brightness whenever the motor is running. They will not turn any other (dash/marker/tail) lights on. Only the highs at 75% brightness.

So, no, if your DRL's are on, the dash lights will not be on. If your lights are on whenever the motor is running, you have DRL's. DRL's cannot be turned off.

My company GMC truck you can start the truck with the parking brake off, and the DRL's will not come on until you release the parking brake. There is no way to do this on the MM according to the manual.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

1.DRL's can be turned off. Pull the fuse.
    2.Driving lights go off automatically when you activate the brights
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

1. DRL's save lives. Leave them on.
    2. TripleTransAm was looking at an alternate wiring setup to allow fogs and brights or fogs only. Any luck TTA?
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Arrow

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marauder307

2. I think this car's got a failsafe in its electrical system to prevent overloads in the lighting circuit. Just discovered it the other night cruising home---had my typical "night" lighting profile on (see above), and got some dumbnuts in front of me that insisted on doing 35 in a 65 zone. Went to flash the brights at him, and just happened to notice that the green indicator for the fogs went out when I flashed the brights at him. Apparently the lighting circuit can't handle the additional load, so if you've got the fogs on and pull the brights, the fogs will shut off and the brights will come on, and I'm guessing (emphasis on the guessing) that that's normal, so that the electrical system won't blow a fuse from the load.
    06 300C SRT8
    03 MM Gone

Sgt. Mac..
    Isn't there some law that limits the number of "headlight / fog lights" that can be turned on at a time?

Would this be the reason that the fogs and the brights can't be turned on at the same time? (Assuming that the brights follow the traditional trend of having two filaments turned on at the same time.)

Just a thought...

ap

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by Dr Caleb
    1. DRL's save lives. Leave them on.
    2. TripleTransAm was looking at an alternate wiring setup to allow fogs and brights or fogs only. Any luck TTA?

1. DRLs piss off Drive-In patrons immediately in front of you, on hot humid evenings.

2. Yes, it works. But before I post anything, I wanted to run the results by my favorite technician, to make sure I wouldn't be overdriving anything or risking burning any module.

No wiring involved, although there are several ways to do it, from the mechanically inept ("snip!") to the more creative methods, involving bending one pin out of the way using a big pair of plyers. All methods are completely reversible within 30 seconds... provided I'm not stressing out any other component.

(And I don't believe I am stressing out anything, but since reading a particular Sarge post a while back, I'm going to do a lot of double-checking first...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information