Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cool rare car factor of Marauders....

The cool rare car factor of Marauders....

Got to thinking from the GNX thread....

I currently have a 86 GN and am looking to purchase a black MM as my semi-daily driver. I like both for their mix of performance, rarity and cool factor....or Not?? When I pull the GN into the gas station I usually get the thumbs up and the occasional "you don't see them anymore" or "my dream car"...yada yada. Just wondering....Do you get the same 'cool' factor with your MM? I honestly didn't know a MM from a hole in the ground before I got into the recent muscle era (I was always a '60s muscle fiend). So do you get the nod or the approach or the thumbs up, or does everyone just think its a run of the mill marquis or CV 'till you blow them off the line

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    So do you get the nod or the approach or the thumbs up, or does everyone just think its a run of the mill marquis or CV 'till you blow them off the line
    I get the "thumbs up" frequently out on the road or at traffic lights. At the gas station, shopping center, or parking lots I occasionally get someone to walk up and ask about the car. However, there is an entire segment of the population who couldn't tell a CV or GM from a Marauder .... or a Accord or Altima for that matter.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

My experience since buying my MM in mid-'09 is that most people think I'm a cop. I get lots of looks. Most people, I've found so far, don't know what to think when they see it, unless they know what it is. The "fear factor" is high...and that works for me because I'm not big on racing. I like to have the power and have people leave me alone

Oh, and I always give GN's a thumbs-up when I see them! Awesome cars.

'03 Marauder - "The Backup" -----> SOLD! Now Marauderless
    Adopted June '09
    K&N FIPK, Magnaflows, SCT Tune, Steeda Underdrive pulley, EMP/Stewart high volume water pump, intake spacer, Autolite XP104's
    4/9/11 Remanufactured Marauder engine installed @ 64,400 miles by GNB Auto Repair, Astoria, NY
    Learn from my ignorance....CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - "The Hulk"...gone to the great junkyard in the sky
    '70 Oldsmobile 442 - "The Keeper"...now alive and kicking

Definitely get head turns as people pass me on the street. I am always getting compliments and people striking up conversation about the car. There will be those people who know nothing and will say it is a cop car or a grand marquis. You will also get people asking what size motor it has and if it is supercharged. I get a lot of people surprised that it has such a "small" motor. They expect it to be supercharged and be a 5.4 or a 5.8L.
    Marauderless....

I get more comments in this car than any other car I've ever owned, and I've had many different cars.
    I've had a few people offer to buy it from me too, which has never happened to me before.
    Belle River, Ontario, Canada
    2003 Marauder - Black
    Car #5636 of 7839
    Lidio Tune, K&N CAI

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Got to thinking from the GNX thread....

I currently have a 86 GN and am looking to purchase a black MM as my semi-daily driver. I like both for their mix of performance, rarity and cool factor....or Not?? When I pull the GN into the gas station I usually get the thumbs up and the occasional "you don't see them anymore" or "my dream car"...yada yada. Just wondering....Do you get the same 'cool' factor with your MM? I honestly didn't know a MM from a hole in the ground before I got into the recent muscle era (I was always a '60s muscle fiend). So do you get the nod or the approach or the thumbs up, or does everyone just think its a run of the mill marquis or CV 'till you blow them off the line
    In my small town, there aren't many who know what the car is. However, for the few people who have asked me about it, their questions will be one of two things "Is that thing supercharged?" or "Do you know Dennis Reinhart?" I guess a number of his relatives are from the area.

If you put it in shows, get ready for a lot of hurr durr-isms from mouth-breathers or people who think they know what they're talking about. You'll also get a fair amount of compliments. Some gems from my experiences:

-(pointing to my JLT intake) "Gaww damn, that sum'b***h supercharged?"

-"How much poop she got?"

-A younger guy to his wife: "It's just a highly modified cougar."

-"Why would anyone want this when they could get a mustang?"

-"They put a 460 in this, right?"

-"Why would anyone put a crown victoria in a car show? I'm glad I didn't have to pay to get in."

...and my favorite one:

-An older guy to me about my marauder: "Boy, they don't make 'em like that any more." Points to the red '99 Camaro RS next to my marauder and gets a gravely concerned look on his face. "You see that thing? It's f***** plastic. You f***** flick it and it'll f***** break!" He then stormed off. The very existence of that car bothered him on a personal level. You could see it on his face.
    Last edited by PurdueRifleman; 12-14-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: clarity
    Criticism is easy; writing is hard.
    ====
    Rides:
    Marauder 300A 4767/7838 "Black Feather" 87,000mi
    Oem Spoiler, Bob White Chrome Vinyl inserts, JLT RAI, Steeda UDPs, Rear Cat Delete, 91 Octane Tune, Cooper RS3-A's (stock sizes), FRPP 4.10s

1996 F150 XL shortbed- 4x4, 4.9 straight six, ZF 5spd transmission- 180000K mi

Quote Originally Posted by PurdueRifleman View Post
    -A younger guy to his wife: "It's just a highly modified cougar."
    I didn't know that ^^^^^. Something else to add to my showboard.

Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328

(365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478

since April '04

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I get impromptu car shows around my car wherever I park. Its the attitude of the car prevents me from ever thinking about parting with it.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

I rarely get recognized. I think most people either could care less or think it is just a Mercury. Whatever.

With almost 4 years behind the wheel of a MM, I remember 1 or 2 times someone said something. And I always had them looking ready for the show.
    Matt
    03' Blue/Charcoal, Gone
    04' DTR, Gone

Bluerauder has a beauty! My first up close with a blue at Carlisle last year. Charlie gets my vote as Ambassador to represent Marauders everywhere.
    Excess in Moderation.

Sprinkles are for winners.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    most people just dont know what it is, and just assume its the police
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by POPPAJ View Post
    Bluerauder has a beauty! My first up close with a blue at Carlisle last year. Charlie gets my vote as Ambassador to represent Marauders everywhere.
    Wow ... thanks for the vote of confidence.

Now I feel embarrassed 'cause the Bluerauder is shall we say a little dirty. If it wasn't 20 degrees outside ... I'd run right home and wash it.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328

(365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478

since April '04

My owner of the company I work for, he"s car crazy, a hellva car museum as matter of fact he has 1 of 6 cars made. Can't think of the name all I no that him and jay Leno has one. He always giving me all type of nice car, to sounds good young man, who wash that car, u keep it clean, and the lates they stop making mercury u better keep that car . Now go get urs and get the same props as on the gn if not more.. Respect..

I still get a lot of attention and compliments. The valets on the Vegas Strip love it. Car guys know what it is and admire it, who cares what the auto-ignorant think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information