Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Mustang GT

1989 Mustang GT

Hello all,

Well, I am finally a Mustang owner again. And this one was my Dads. Last weekend I drove my 89 Ford F250 to my parents home in NY and picked up his 89 Mustang GT. When Dad bought the car in 1996, it had 31k miles. It was strictly a cruzer, used on weekends or a quick trip to the store. Over the years Dads numerous projects increased as his health declined, nothing major, but the Mustang has done more sitting and more sitting as his "to-do" list got longer. So much so that since 2006, he only put about 1K miles on her for a total of 56,210 original miles. It has pretty much just.... sat.

And we all know what happens when a car just sits. Things just dont work right anymore. Not quite a barn find, but close. It wasn't running, the passenger door is stuck - can not unlock it, the drivers door can not be locked, drivers seat is bent some how, paint is flaking, minor rust on hatch, cracked spoiler, fog light missing a lens, non working alarm system from the early 90s, tint turning purple, the list goes on.

When Dad offered the car up to me, I, of course snapped it up! There has not been a Mustang in my garage in many years, so to have one that was my Dads was a fantastic opportunity! This is not a new Mustang that I'd buy new and throw a bunch of money at to customize and make fast - like the Marauder. This is a project. Something my boys and I can work on and have fun with.

There is some nostalgia that goes along with this project also. After all, it was Dad who, way back when bought a brand new black 67 Mustang GT 390 4sp, fastback and modded the hell out of it. I spent my formitive years traveling in that car. Probably explains the reason I enjoy Mustangs (and Marauders).

Anyway, back to the present. So the 89 GT was dead. Stone cold DEAD. Turn the key nothing. Charge the battery - nuthin! Lights, bells and everything else - 'cept no start. We jumped the starter solenoid and she cranked over very slowly. Looking over the battery, it was old. Terminals were crap. Figured, hell with it, get a new battery. Quick trip to Auto Zone and that did it. Though we had to jump the solenoid to do it, she was alive - barely.

I took her for a spin around the block. This car needs love! The tires have very low miles, but were almost like squares! The brake pedal was hard like a board and the car stopped very slowly. Frozen calipers probably.

But she is alive!.

I drover her up onto the U-Haul car hauler and dragged her home Saturday night. Sunday came and the work began. So far I have done the following:

- Removed the POS alarm - cause of the no start issue.
    - Oil change
    - Fixed vacuum line
    - cleaned MAF and air box
    - Repaired various wires, mostly due to the alarm
    - Began work on the doors issue.

Turns out the drivers power door lock actuator is forzen. Once removed, the latch worked fine. I am assuming that is the problem on the passenger side. Tricky part will be removing the door panel with the door closed!

Pics to follow soon.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

What is it?

Coupe
    Hatch back
    Convertible

My second Mustang was a 88 blue GT convertible with Blue convertible top. I remember removing the Helmholz resonator, clipping off the screws on the throttle butterfly, Loc-tite-ing them in, and advancing the timing about 5 degrees (last time I used a dwell / tach and a timing light), as well as adding a K&N filter and an aftermarket alarm.

Did you end up with my old one??

Scott
    SeaBreeze

Member # 319

2004 MM 300A (2nd Marauder!)
    Dark Toreador Red / Light Flint Interior
    Acceleration Therapy: TRILOGY #191 (Eaton M-112)

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    Coupe
    Hatch back
    Convertible

My second Mustang was a 88 blue GT convertible with Blue convertible top. I remember removing the Helmholz resonator, clipping off the screws on the throttle butterfly, Loc-tite-ing them in, and advancing the timing about 5 degrees (last time I used a dwell / tach and a timing light), as well as adding a K&N filter and an aftermarket alarm.

Did you end up with my old one??

Scott
    It is a hatchback. Forgot that somehow.

11.98 @ 115 mph

Sweet Mustang Charlie!

'89 were the first 50 state MAF Mustangs.
    (49 state '88s were speed density, except for California cars which were MAF in 1988)
    Easy to mod them and make them run very quick yet still have them be completely driveable with good mpg.

5 speed or auto?

Driver's seat probably has a cracked frame...or possibly the floor board sheet metal under the seat mounts might be cracked.
    Mid 80s Fox Mustangs are known to have the floor board problem...a good set of subframes will tie all that together.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Dads 67 FB

Dad and I in 2004

The 89 GT the day I got it

11.98 @ 115 mph

11.98 @ 115 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
    Sweet Mustang Charlie!

'89 were the first 50 state MAF Mustangs.
    (49 state '88s were speed density, except for California cars which were MAF in 1988)
    Easy to mod them and make them run very quick yet still have them be completely driveable with good mpg.

5 speed or auto?

Driver's seat probably has a cracked frame...or possibly the floor board sheet metal under the seat mounts might be cracked.
    Mid 80s Fox Mustangs are known to have the floor board problem...a good set of subframes will tie all that together.
    Thanks for the info Joe. I need to re-up my mustang knowledge. Since the MM, I've focused only on it. Dad says the seat has a cracked frame. The under side looks good.

It will need sub frames.....

11.98 @ 115 mph

A nice pair (of '89s)

11.98 @ 115 mph

Sweet deal. I'm a mustang guy as well. I've owned a few. Sold my Supercharged '93 Coupe a few years back(regret). I now own a '93 LX Hatch. It was a 4 cyl car. We swapped everything from a '92 GT into it. I love it.

2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

I bought my Mustang (see sig below) in spring of '92 with 32000 kms on the clock. It now has 120000kms on it. I'm the second owner.
    TLC - OH YAH, but I've still got it, and love it. It still has the original top with not a rip!! I has now become a garage queen due to having a daily driver and the MM, but have fun with it. And it looks great.

It will be a great time for you to spend with the kids, and they will love it when they get their licenses!
    "Barry's" the name;
    Drums and Cars are my game

"I smash the pedal; air and fuel go in; witchcraft happens; I go fast!"

"No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer!"

2004 / Black / 1981 of 3214.
    #184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

Swap out those GT lights for some LX lights.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Another mustang guy chiming in! and im local to ya...

I have a 90 GT Convertible project that ive lost interst in and have plenty of aftermarket parts on it if your looking for a project... Maximum motorsport suspension, fresh brakes, rebuilt t5 (if your looking to convert), pony wheels, etc... let me know if your interested in shooting the breeze sometime...

My baby is my 93GT thats my track (road race) whore... it gets driven about 1k miles a year lately with work but it still gets a workout from time to time...

Congrats!!

You know I love my Mustangs!!!!

Latemodel Restoration Supply will help you with fixing up that GT.

I believe the door lock actuators are preventing you from locking and opening the doors.

There were 3 versions of 1989 5.0 Mustangs:

Early ones till November: 85 MPH speedo
    November till 4/16/89: 140 MPH speedo
    4/17/89 till end of Job 1: 140 MPH speedo and 25 years emblem on dash.

Where does yours fit in?
    Last edited by RoyLPita; 12-21-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Oops
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    Latemodel Restoration Supply will help you with fixing up that GT.

I believe the door lock actuators are preventing you from locking and opening the doors.

There were 3 versions of 1989 5.0 Mustangs:

Early ones till November: 85 MPH speedo
    November till 4/16/89: 140 MPH speedo
    4/16/89 till end of Job 1: 140 MPH speedo and 25 years emblem on dash.

Where does yours fit in?
    Funny you should ask.

The guy who bought my 98 Cobra was born on 9/17
    Defyant Marauder was built on 9/17/03
    And this 89 GT was built on 9/17/88

11.98 @ 115 mph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information