Thread: Wheel Stud Replacement

Wheel Stud Replacement

One front passenger side wheel stud broke off. Don't know how, but it needs to be replaced. Any tips from the pros on the easiest way to DIY?

In order to repair this, the caliper and rotor will have to be removed. What's left of the stud can be punched out. Then the new stud can be pushed through and tightened with an uncovered lug nut. I would recommend using air tools for this.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    In order to repair this, the caliper and rotor will have to be removed. What's left of the stud can be punched out. Then the new stud can be pushed through and tightened with an uncovered lug nut. I would recommend using air tools for this.
    What Brian said.

Or..........

You can take the rotor to an auto parts store that still does machine shop type work and have them press the new stud in. I believe most NAPA stores still do work.

Or...........

You can use a large punch and a BFH to "press" the new stud in.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

A small clarification: The hub and bearing has the stud, not the rotor.
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    A small clarification: The hub and bearing has the stud, not the rotor.
    Yep, forgot about that.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I have no air tools. Can't I lubricate the stud and pull it through with a breaker bar, socket, and "helper" pipe on the breaker bar using some washers as a sandwich between the hub and lug nut?

Quote Originally Posted by derik View Post
    I have no air tools. Can't I lubricate the stud and pull it through with a breaker bar, socket, and "helper" pipe on the breaker bar using some washers as a sandwich between the hub and lug nut?
    You can certainly try...

Don't use any lube.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    You can certainly try...

Don't use any lube.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    You can certainly try...

Don't use any lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    Yep...

No lube when you pound or screw them in.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by derik View Post
    By using air tools, this alleviates the hub from spinning when installing the new stud and lug nut.

Do you have a workbench with a vice?

Rest In Peace:
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

Do you have a big C-clamp and a deep socket? You can press them in that way.

If you pull it through with a lug nut get a few washers and a new standard style lug nut. Put a dab of antisieze or grease between the washers. That prevents damage to the hub because the washer against it won't spin.

I appreciate the responses. I was going to help my son with this project since he now has my Marauder (I've got the 2011 5.0 Mustang). But he has to get it done quick so he priced around his area. He first called Firestone and was told that it would be under 1 hour - about $65 out the door. Called Firestone again 2 days later got another guy who said that the studs can't be replaced on the Marauder and that he needs a new hub - about $300 out the door. Called Ford dealer with a price of $100 labor and about $12/stud (they made of some precious mineral?). So he'll decide and let me know. But it doesn't look like it will be done in-house.

There has GOT to be another member here local to you..... I could do that in about 15 minutes in my driveway. A new stud should only be about $8, unless you need a new nut also.

Hammer and drift to punch out the old one, place the new one in lining up the locking groves, impact an open nut with washers until fully seated. Remove nut and washers and button things back up.

A six pack of Pilsner Urquell and you're done.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Thread Information