Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr Man's musings

Mr Man's musings

I'm going to do my reviews of new and maybe used cars here in this thread instead of the Makeshift shoutbox.

Let start off by saying I am not a professional reviewer and this is my opinion.

So.. as some of you know from the Makeshift Shoutbox that I occasionally transfer cars for my local Ford dealer. They also have a Chrysler,Jeep, Dodge,Ram dealership but as of today I have only swapped for Ford.

Today they needed a 2011 Focus to go to Pa and in return I brought back a 2001 Fiesta.

My thoughts are as follows in no particular order.

2011 Ford Focus SE 2.0l engine, 4 sp auto.

Wasn't expecting much here as it was your basic commuter car but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised with the Focus. I had forgotten how much fun a front wheel drive car could be in the snow (we had snow today 2-3 in). The engine was plenty peppy and I needed to remind myself that this was not my car and mashing the gas to pull out of a slush induced drift could result in damages. The 4sp auto was adequate but if optioned I'd have gone for a 5-sp manual.
    The car started out a suede white color and was handed over to the Pa dealer a slush brown. Hope they have lots of soap.
    The general appearance of the car is pleasing if not a bit nondescript. It's a commuter car.
    The interior was roomier than I expected. Let me also preface here that I am not a small person 6'2" in the morning and over 300#. I found there to be more than enough head room and getting in and out was uneventful. Leg room to the pedals was short for me but if you are under 6' and of a more normal body size I think it would be acceptable for commuting. Room for 5 is a pipe dream and I want what ever the advertising team for Ford is smoking. Realistically 2 adults in the front and 2 pre-teens in the back for anything over a 10 minute ride.
    All the controls were easy to get to and all the buttons, knobs and levers that I played with all worked. Materials seemed to be of a good quality for the Focus' price point. Sirius radio was installed and made the ride though the Pa Dutch country enjoyable. The ambient noise with the radio off was also quite acceptable.
    Car handled quite well and I found myself thinking that with a beefier engine and a manual I could imagine naming the car "Ripper".

Gas mileage was climbing as I drove (mid 20's) and if I remember the sticker said mid-thirties Hwy. Empty snow covered roads, figure less

Out of 5 thumbs up I'd give it 4 faulting the lack of adequate leg room and more to the point thigh spread, typical gearbox console interference. For another 2 inches I might have given it 5

Now for the disappointment. 2011 Fiesta 1.6l ( if memory serves) 4 sp auto.

Color was a steel blue metallic grey and about the only thing I liked about this car.
    Engine was nondescript and ran fine though I believe there was a loose heat shield under there somewhere. 4 sp auto shifted so quickly I was in 3rd gear at 15mph. Must be a gas mileage thing (which by the by was good) I was getting over 32mpg when I got back and it was still climbing. On the hwy I was doing about 70mph in both cars.
    The Fiesta is ugly, weird little triangular windows all over the place and I kept thinking it would fit nicely next to the Pontiac Aztec someday in the Ugly Car Museum.
    The interior was extra tight and the gas and brake pedals were so close I seriously thought I might need to take my sneaker off so I wouldn't ride the brake all the way back to NJ. Leg room is non-existent for anyone over 5' 8". Head room was barely there and ingress and egress was bothersome with my 6'2" frame, wanna count the bumps on my head? The ride was harsh and noisy. It did come with Sirius but the speakers were so tinny it just sounded horrible. Seats were unsupportive and uncomfortable but for all of the shortest of trips. The materials used on the interior were cheap and looked it. Mind you this is a fairly inexpensive car and it shows. My advice is unless you are less than 5'8" tall and weigh under 150# save your money and upgrade to the Focus. My score for the 2011 Fiesta 1.6l 2 and that is primarily for the exceptional fuel economy

Good reporting of your impressions Mr. Man. Keep them coming as you transport models cause our family members or friends may be interested in such cars. They could benefit because of your driving experiences.

Regards,

Good info.

Agree on the Focus. The couple I've driven or ridden in were nice cars, quite roomy for their class.

Also agree on the Fiesta. I don't one in either of our futures, bubba.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    Good info.

Agree on the Focus. The couple I've driven or ridden in were nice cars, quite roomy for their class.

Also agree on the Fiesta. I don't one in either of our futures, bubba.
    Actually Rex it might not be to bad for you as your a little shorter than me. I would venture with the side window down there would be plenty of room. I had the same issue with the 2011 Mustang GT I moved this past fall. So far the roomiest was the 2011 King Ranch F250 SuperDuty but it was also the most costly, over 50,000 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Actually Rex it might not be to bad for you as your a little shorter than me. I would venture with the side window down there would be plenty of room. I had the same issue with the 2011 Mustang GT I moved this past fall. So far the roomiest was the 2011 King Ranch F250 SuperDuty but it was also the most costly, over 50,000 dollars.
    I love 'em! Buddy has one a couple years old, and it's definitely got room.

2003 300B DBP

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Any pictures of you in the Fiesta?

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    Any pictures of you in the Fiesta?
    Kinda felt like Bubba Smith in the Mini. I also forgot in my Fiesta review and one of the really annoying things was no center arm rest. Just two cup holders and an E-brake handle.

Any pictures of the tow truck getting you out of the Fiesta?
    Fixed it for ya...

When Ford built the Fiesta last time, it got the nickname "Fiasco"...wonder if this one is any different?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Kinda felt like Bubba Smith in the Mini. I also forgot in my Fiesta review and one of the really annoying things was no center arm rest. Just two cup holders and an E-brake handle.

2003 300B DBP

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Well not quite that bad.

Don't take it personal Eric - Paul used that same picture for me some time back!
    You and I may have to thump a few people the next time we see them! LOL
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

That's just so WRONG! (I like it)

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin View Post
    Don't take it personal Eric - Paul used that same picture for me some time back!
    You and I may have to thump a few people the next time we see them! LOL
    You remember that huh? lol

Mr Man's musings reminds me of "You know what grinds my gears?"

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

You remember that huh? lol

Mr Man's musings reminds me of "You know what grinds my gears?"
    Yes and Yes!!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Eric's beard isn't that long...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information