Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Works For Me

Works For Me

AS I have yet to modify my MM, I have found a few tricks to help when those " just gotta see what you got, guys are around. I lock up my brakes, put the trans in 2nd, with o.drive out, get the rear wheels smokin' ( not too much) and let er rip ! This way, I am already about half way to H.P range, and although it gets second gear rubber, its not too much as to loose time. I have no trouble with the Pony cars or Camaros that I am giving away 70 C.I. to anyway. Its very frustrating to have this " bad" drive shaft in the car. I personally think that ALL MM owners make Mercury put in a new shaft abd chip at THIER cost. Hell, the advertise the MM as the muscle car of the future, yet its limited from the factory with negitive performance parts.
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth,Tx

Umm... damn. Not to easy on your car their are ya? Well, better to let it all out while she's still under warranty I guess...

It IS a muscle car , right ? No, I don't baby it, other than in the apperance department. I could have bought a Gran Marque if I just wanted to tool around town. I have shut down 5.o Mustangs, Corvettes, and most every other car that wants to see what a MM will do. Even giving away allot in C.Is, the hi-revin 281 will push the big black, but you gotta get it into it's " zone. "

mungce
    My thoughts also! I am having fun with the honeybee's and a few local officers with there CV Police cars. The Merc is a real sleeper! I have had locals that think it a chief's car! Going to the drag strip on Dec. 7th and have some "fun". Right noe I have a a friend with a 5.0 and another with '69 Mustang that want to come along! Going to hold off on mods till the spring.
    Enjoy the car that what its for!
    Big Dog Jim
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I'm not saying I baby my car, but I don't think I'd ever lock up my brakes just to show off. Hell, my 1979 Lincoln can lock 'em up just cause of the fact it has an old brake system and it's like a 5000lb+ car... Not too impressive to me. I do like the second gear scratches that can ekk out of those fat ass tires back there. I'm trying to get one of my "friends" to race me with his 1986 Monte Carlo. It's got the 289 with a decent intake, dual exhaust, a low 3.?? (don't know chevy's) rear and a shift kit in the tranny. It's a piece... but he THINKS he can take me, so I'll give him the pleasure of checking out the rear of my car on our local 1/4 strip here. Got another guy in a 1971 El Camino that wants me, maybe tonight... Oh, BTW, anyone know how a 1994 Mustang GT does with just a cat-back system?

Hey ! It's a fun car....why not have some fun with it ? As I said, the reason I lock up my brakes is that it gets me off the line, with out bogging out. When giving up over 70 C.I.s to most of the other guys, it's a good way to keep the hi-revvin' 281 up into the H.P. range. Untill I get a " kit " from Rienhart, its working just fine for me.
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth,Tx
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth, Republic of Texas

RancorKeeper Guest
    Originally posted by LincMercLover
    I'm trying to get one of my "friends" to race me with his 1986 Monte Carlo. It's got the 289 with a decent intake, dual exhaust, a low 3.?? (don't know chevy's) rear and a shift kit in the tranny.
    Unless he put an old Ford motor under the hood - the 302 was what the 289 became in 1968 - he's got a 305 in there, which does displace five liters. The only rear gear available in '86 was a 3.73, which IMO is the only reason that anemic 180bhp engine was able to do anything off the line.

Oh, BTW, anyone know how a 1994 Mustang GT does with just a cat-back system?
    Not much, low 15's probably. The Mustang had 215hp/285tq in 1994 & weighed 3550lbs. I've never been very impressed with the 94-98 Stangs; too little power in too porky a car.

SSMOKEM Guest
    I have no trouble with the Pony cars or Camaros
    I have shut down 5.o Mustangs, Corvettes, and most every other car that wants to see what a MM will do.
    Those are very interesting observations..............

No no, it's the small Chevy V8. I don't know why I put 289, der, I shoulda saw that. It's like a 27? maybe... And no, the gears are MUCH "higher"... This is an 80's Carlo, a Grande he's building up.

RancorKeeper Guest
    No no, it's the small Chevy V8. I don't know why I put 289, der, I shoulda saw that. It's like a 27? maybe... And no, the gears are MUCH "higher"... This is an 80's Carlo, a Grande he's building up.
    I suppose it could be the 4.4L 267cid, but I've heard that was rarely ordered. Nearly all V8's in the Monte from 82-88 were the 305. When you consider how popular the G-body was/is, it's funny to think it was powered by the measly 305.
    Last edited by RancorKeeper; 11-25-2002 at 07:05 PM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LincMercLover
    [ Hell, my 1979 Lincoln can lock 'em up just cause of the fact it has an old brake system and it's like a 5000lb+ car...

Nice Town Coupe. I haven't seen one of those on the road in years. I almost had a 79 Mark V, but my father talked me out of it because it didn't quite fit in the garage. Got a 79 T-Bird instead
    JohnnyB

2004 Mach 1 - Torch Red 5 Speed

2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A, RPC Chip, 4.10's, K&N Aircharger

2002 Ford Focus ZX5

Thanks. And yah, that's it, the 267. He wouldn't race me tonight because I beat the Camino and he runs WAY slower than it. Hehehe...

big dog jim...what track on the 7th? cecil,md.?? it should be a good time out there and great weather, i don't know if i'll be able to make it up there or not but i'm still trying. should be quite a few SS's and caprices to line up with if you're intrerested.

mungce..c'mon on over to the SS forum, we have quite a few texas members who would love to see how your technique works. i don't think you'll have any problems finding someone to line up with. i didn't think anyone elses MM would hang with the LS1 f bodies besides mensrea's but the proof is at the track. and if you're racing the 6 cyl.s...that's just sad.

rock on, rus

SSee SSpot Run
    Hi guy! Yes the invite was to Cecil, Md. Looking to have a good time! Hope some other MM can join in. I just need to find out what time they are getting together!
    Hope to meet Ya!
    Big Dog Jim
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I bought the 1st 5.o Mustang in 83,, and it was a screamer fer sure. Thing is that it just woulnt stick to the road. As far as the Impala SS, I am giving up 70 C.I.s to you all, so you already have a hude advantage. My MM is pure stock....for now. As soon as I get a Rienhart package, I will let you know. I would think Logan has a set up that works for the MM, and can help make up for the 70 C.I.s that a LT1 brings with it. Time will tell, either way, I'm happy with my MM and it wont be long before more Hi-Perf parts are available for it.
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth, Republic of Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information