Thread: Check fuel cap/check engine light

Check fuel cap/check engine light

Before i stored the MM for winter, I got a Check Engine Light, dont remember the exact number, but the description was large EVAP leak. I reset it (well, took out the battery for winter, reseated the gas cap and figured if it comes back, I'll check it out...

Now that I have it back on the road, with fresh gas in it, I got a check fuel cap light on the dash, but no Check Engine. I'm guessing it's the same issue... Found a few threads on here on dropping the tray under the trunk and checking the hoses... how do you drop that tray? Any bolts or anything in the trunk under the organizer? I couldn't see/feel any bolts by reaching underneath I haven't looked b/c my car came with a nitrous bottle installed, and removing the brackets and all of that would be somewhat of a pain to do in the work parking lot (I just got the check fuel cap light on this morning).

Also, when I bought the car and loaded it on the trailer, I noticed 2 hoses on the passenger side, one of them was loose and needed a collar... I had them fix it, that was no issue... I'm wondering if there's any way to check the whole evap system for any more of these types of stuff, loose hose or something? I read something about fogging in another thread but no more details. If I don't see anything in that tray, should I just have a shop look at it, or get a gas cap?
    3 mod motor vehicles
    2 32v
    1 marauder.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosters View Post
    Before i stored the MM for winter, I got a Check Engine Light, dont remember the exact number, but the description was large EVAP leak. I reset it (well, took out the battery for winter, reseated the gas cap and figured if it comes back, I'll check it out...

Now that I have it back on the road, with fresh gas in it, I got a check fuel cap light on the dash, but no Check Engine. I'm guessing it's the same issue... Found a few threads on here on dropping the tray under the trunk and checking the hoses... how do you drop that tray? Any bolts or anything in the trunk under the organizer? I couldn't see/feel any bolts by reaching underneath I haven't looked b/c my car came with a nitrous bottle installed, and removing the brackets and all of that would be somewhat of a pain to do in the work parking lot (I just got the check fuel cap light on this morning).

Also, when I bought the car and loaded it on the trailer, I noticed 2 hoses on the passenger side, one of them was loose and needed a collar... I had them fix it, that was no issue... I'm wondering if there's any way to check the whole evap system for any more of these types of stuff, loose hose or something? I read something about fogging in another thread but no more details. If I don't see anything in that tray, should I just have a shop look at it, or get a gas cap?
    First... don't guess. Get the actual code.

Check the gasket on the gas cap.

Check the tray under the car. There is nothing to take off in the trunk.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Found it, it wasn't in the tray, but it was one of those 2 hoses; on the passenger side one goes into the frame rail, and one goes into a plastic piece with a fitting that disconnects somewhere above the rear passenger wheel. Pushed that back in as it was completely off, and cleared the codes; hopefully it's all fixed. The code was P0457
    3 mod motor vehicles
    2 32v
    1 marauder.

Here's the disconnected part, hope it helps others diagnose this if they run into it; just outta curiosity, anyone know what that does, or what its purpose is?

3 mod motor vehicles
    2 32v
    1 marauder.

That looks like the return hose for the evaporative emissions system.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Changed my oil filter and fuel filter now the engine light is on..what caused this and how can I get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by kingace View Post
    Changed my oil filter and fuel filter now the engine light is on..what caused this and how can I get rid of it
    CEL after fuel filter change is fairly common. It will clear itself after a couple of drive cycles. Next time, cycle the fuel pump by turning the key to on (not start) and off again 3-4 times before starting the car.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Fosters View Post
    Here's the disconnected part, hope it helps others diagnose this if they run into it; just outta curiosity, anyone know what that does, or what its purpose is?

is this the rear wheel well?
    Daily Driver
    300A born 8/07/02
    achieved 2/1/03

Quote Originally Posted by tbore007 View Post
    is this the rear wheel well?
    Yes..............
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Yes..............
    sorry, passenger side? Got to figure this out. inspection is up...
    Daily Driver
    300A born 8/07/02
    achieved 2/1/03

Thread Information