Thread: Replacing axle seals/bearings

Replacing axle seals/bearings

Driver side axle seal is leaking. So now is a good time to replace both seals, rear brakes, and diff fluid. Should I replace the bearings as well or are they ok as long as the axle looks good? (I've read about the axle problems on 03's) Any special tools needed for this job other than a 12-pack?
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

It's a crap-shoot. You really don't want to have to do the job twice, and new bearings are inexpensive, so I would say it makes sense while you're in there. You'll need a bearing puller and a bearing installation tool. DON'T try it without them. Most FLAPS have a loan-a-tool program...I borrowed mine from AutoZone...very easy transaction.

If not doing the bearings, then no special tools are needed.

75W-140 synthetic is the recommended fluid now. I know for sure Valvoline's has the friction modifier already in it...I believe most of the others do as well, but if you get Motorcraft, it does not. You'll need one bottle of XL-3.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Replace the bearings. This is something you don't want to do twice like I did.

2003 MARAUDER
    Lidio Tune
    JLT Intake
    Aero Turbine 2525 mufflers
    No 2nd cats
    Resonator Delete Tips
    NGK TR6 Plugs
    180* T-stat

Get the TSB complete kit (minus Friction modifier) and just be done with it.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information