Thread: Threw 4 codes, what could it be?

Question Threw 4 codes, what could it be?

I've had a couple symptoms.

1. When I start the car in the morning before work or anytime it sits for 4+ hours it bogs until it has idled for a little while and/or I give it gas and it smooths out for the entire duration of the drive and runs completely normal lacking no power at all when under load.

2. In the 35-45 MPH range under no load (before OD kicks in) there is a very slight bucking (not something most people would notice) and the level/intensity of the bucking increases if the A/C is on.

3. MPG sucks ass. Been getting like 14-16 MPG on tanks of gas that are mostly highway.

I've been trying to isolate it for a while now but could not figure it out due to no light and many possibilities.

Threw 4 codes all at one time yesterday after not having a check engine light for many months.

P0171 - System Too Lean, Bank No. 1

P0174 - System Too Lean, Bank No. 2

P0102 - MAF Circuit Low Input

P0113 - IAT Circuit High Input

I'm like 80% sure it is not the following issues due to testing

- Vacuum leak
    - Fuel pressure
    - Dirty MAF
    - Dirty IAC
    - 100% sure its not the plugs

Do our MAFS just plain go bad after a while beyond cleaning?

Don't really know much about the IAT, that one troubles me as I know its somewhat of an uncommon code to see which could be a good thing or a bad thing...

Help
    Last edited by Vostok; 07-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Build date:10/9/02
    5441 of 7839 Black
    Z-Tune
    JLT CAI
    J-Mod

IAT is part of the maf sensor. Outer two wires on the harness. All those codes can be caused by a bad MAF sensor. Can you pull the harness and make sure all the contacts are clean?
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    IAT is part of the maf sensor. Outer two wires on the harness. All those codes can be caused by a bad MAF sensor. Can you pull the harness and make sure all the contacts are clean?
    Used the torx drill bit and removed the MAF from the intake and cleaned every nook and cranny of it very thoroughly with CRC MAF cleaner about 15 minutes ago. Took it for a drive, light bucking is still present. Will not know if it has any effect on the cold start bogging / MPG until tomorrow.
    5441 of 7839 Black
    Z-Tune
    JLT CAI
    J-Mod

Did you unplug the harness connector from the sensor? Leave the sensor in the maf housing and check the male and female side of the harness connector for any sign of corrosion, etc. The connector looks like the one on the right in the pic. Look for any broken wires too.

11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Did you unplug the harness connector from the sensor? Leave the sensor in the maf housing and check the male and female side of the harness connector for any sign of corrosion, etc. The connector looks like the one on the right in the pic. Look for any broken wires too.

Of course I unplugged it Did not see any broken wires or obvious corrosion.

MAF sprayed the harness connector as well.
    Last edited by Vostok; 07-07-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    5441 of 7839 Black
    Z-Tune
    JLT CAI
    J-Mod

I have an extra you can try out. Contact someone, anyone, whoever for my number I'll be home around 4:30 and all weekend.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information