Thread: New BFG's at 23,000 miles

schuvwj Guest

Post New BFG's at 23,000 miles

I had severe cupping on the inside front tires at 23,000 miles and the rear tires were bald on the center tread but the rest of the tread was only worn about 40%.

So I put all new BFG’s from Tirerack.com on her yesterday at the F/M dealer. Bought the same size as the stock rear so I can rotate front to back. No problems with codes or clearance on the front! However they told me the front tire clearance was close but ok. Has anyone tried this with shorter or modified front springs?

The Dealer charged me $60.00 to mount and balance all four and Tirerack.com charged me $83.00 per tire without shipping.

I promised the person who was going to physically mount and balance my tires and rims that I would pay him $10 a rim if he did not scratch them. They looked perfect after he finished so I paid him! He did not want the money and said it was his job but I made him take it. I told him to take is wife out to dinner.

It will be interesting how many miles these tires will last now I can rotate every 5,000 miles.

Got any pics?
    2002 Lincoln LSE
    3.9 V8 5-speed automatic
    Born 4-12-02
    Purchased 2-20-05

2000 Lincoln LS Sport
    3.0 V6 5-speed manual
    Born 8-30-99
    Purchased 10-2-03

"Imports are like tampons, every ****y has one"

jettle Guest
    schuvwj

I have heard in the past that is your tires are wearing in the middle...they are over-inflated. Something you may want to watch for.

Regards,
    Jeff

schuvwj Guest

Post New BFG's at 23,000 Miles

Originally posted by jettle
    schuvwj

I have heard in the past that is your tires are wearing in the middle...they are over-inflated. Something you may want to watch for.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Jeff over inflation has been one of my concerns since I've seen the rear tires wear like this. When I first bought her I ran 32 psi in front and rear. When I noticed the center tread wear at about 10,000 miles I deflated the rears to 28 psi and they still continued to wear down the center.???

Right now with the new tires I am running 28 psi in the rear and 32 psi in the front.

I did notice on the new tire labels it said not to spin tires over 35 mph. Maybe this wear was caused by too many high rpm burn-outs?

schuvwj Guest

Question Pics

Originally posted by Stephen Soulsby
    Got any pics?
    Steve did you want to see pics of the newly mount tires or the worn old tires?

I would be happy to take a picture of her with the new tires but I left the old tires at the dealer.

Re: New BFG's at 23,000 miles

Originally posted by schuvwj

So I put all new BFG’s from Tirerack.com on her yesterday at the F/M dealer. Bought the same size as the stock rear so I can rotate front to back. No problems with codes or clearance on the front! However they told me the front tire clearance was close but ok. Has anyone tried this with shorter or modified front springs? The Dealer charged me $60.00 to mount and balance all four and Tirerack.com charged me $83.00 per tire without shipping. I promised the person who was going to physically mount and balance my tires and rims that I would pay him $10 a rim if he did not scratch them. They looked perfect after he finished so I paid him! He did not want the money and said it was his job but I made him take it. I told him to take is wife out to dinner.
    Good tips!
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Black/DCharcoal
    Reinhart Stage I w/SCT Custom Tuner & 4:30's (install in progress!)
    FlowMaster Deltaflow 40's; K & N Filter
    McGard Wheel Locks; SS Inserts
    Smoked rear Liscense Plate; No front LP Bracket.
    Born: 10.08.02; Dlvrd From Windy City
    Adopted 8.10.03 12:15 AM
    Goals: Stage II, III . . .

LL 1969 AMX - 390, Doug's Headers, Al Edolbrock Highrise, Shelby Cam/Kit, Crager, ET Bars, Accel, Holley Dual Line 780, Hurst, SW gages, cus clutch, T10. elect fuel pump, 11" RT's.

jettle Guest
    Did you check the pressure hot? When tires heat up they increase in pressure. Drive her around a bit and check em. Tire pressure is inaccurate if the car has sat overnight. If you already did this sorry, just a thought.

Jeff

Pics

I wanted to see some pics of the car with the newly mounted tires. I have been thinking about doing the same thing, but want to make sure they don't look goofy.
    2002 Lincoln LSE
    3.9 V8 5-speed automatic
    Born 4-12-02
    Purchased 2-20-05

2000 Lincoln LS Sport
    3.0 V6 5-speed manual
    Born 8-30-99
    Purchased 10-2-03

"Imports are like tampons, every ****y has one"

Originally posted by jettle
    Did you check the pressure hot? When tires heat up they increase in pressure. Drive her around a bit and check em. Tire pressure is inaccurate if the car has sat overnight. If you already did this sorry, just a thought.

Jeff
    IIRC, you're supposed to check tires when cold. Look at your VIN Sticker in the Door Jamb, Gas Cap, or Right Rear Door Jamb (wherever they list the Reccomended Pressure), they always list pressure as "COLD PSI/kPa"

Here is an article from the DOT about checking tire pressure.......

DOT Tire Pressure
    Checking Tire Pressure

Because tires may naturally lose air over time, it is important to check your tire pressure at least once a month. For convenience, purchase a tire pressure gauge to keep in your vehicle. Gauges can be purchased at tire dealerships, auto supply stores, and other retail outlets. Remember, the tire inflation number that vehicle manufacturers provide reflects the proper pounds per square inch (psi) when a tire is cold. To get an accurate tire pressure reading, measure tire pressure when the car has been unused for at least three hours.

Step 1: Locate the correct tire pressure on the tire information placard or in the owner’s manual.

Step 2: Record the tire pressure of all tires.

Step 3: If the tire pressure is too high in any of the tires, slowly release air by gently pressing on the tire valve with the edge of your tire gauge until you get to the correct pressure.

Step 4: If the tire pressure is too low, note the difference between the measured tire pressure and the correct tire pressure. These “missing” pounds of pressure are what you will need to add.

Step 5: At a service station, add the missing pounds of air pressure to each tire that is underinflated.

Step 6: Check all the tires to make sure they have the same air pressure (except in cases in which the front and rear tires are supposed to have different amounts of pressure).
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I have been taught that tires are always to be checked when cold. Specified pressure is always with the tire cold
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

jettle Guest
    Yes, that is true about the listed Cold rating.

I have been riding motorcycles for years and you are supposed to check those after they warm up. Maybe I have been doing this wrong in my cars since I have always just done it the same for both types of rides. Although, it is more crucial to get an accurate reading on a bike than it is in your car.

Anyways, keep an eye on your pressure. If you are wearing out the centers on your tires they most likely are over-inflated.

Regards,
    Jeff

I had the same problem with my rear tires @ 22k miles - centers worn out. I also went the Tirerack route (went with stock rear size). My L&M dealer also mounted/balanced for $15 a piece (that's wierd). I'm down to 27 psi cold and the contact looks good - road dirt/dust sticks to clean tire only up to the corner off the tread - side walls not showing any wear/contact with road. Wear on my front tires is not bad - very slight wear on inside edges and no cupping.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

jettle Guest
    So do these cars have too much negitive camber or is the wear from the car being so heavy? I bet this is going to make this even more of a problem when I install my Eibachs.

Tires are always checked cold. I always check one tire (cold) before I go to the service station and note the tire pressure. The pressure usually goes up several pounds after just a few miles. Then inflate all tires as recommended.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17