Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperature Gauge

Temperature Gauge

I've noticed for a while and never bothered to ask, but why does the temperature gauge spike all of the way to the top before settling down to a normal level? I once had a 1987 Mercury Topaz, the only other Mercury I've ever owned, and it did the same thing.

Also, this morning after the car warmed up on the way into the office, I encountered some heavy traffic and was at a standstill for a while. During that time, it seemed like the car got cold and the process started over again. Granted, it was cold this morning (high teens) but I've never had that happen before.

Any thoughts from anyone? And yes, I'm still embarrassed about once having owned a Mercury Topaz.

I used to have an 87 Mercury Topaz, too!! Except I used to call it the "Topa-Z," made it sound sportier...

Your symptoms seem to indicate a malfunctioning thermostat. It may be getting stuck closed (thus the temp spike), and then opening all the way, then closing back up again.

I put a new thermostat in the Topa-Z every winter I had that car...
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300a
    Spoiler
    6 Disc CD Changer
    Trunk Organizer
    SS Inserts
    Weatherflectors
    WeatherTech Floormats
    ZAINO...need I say more?
    Dyno-Tuned by fordchips.com
    Sway Bar
    REAL Oil Pressure Gauge
    KB Dead Pedal

1986 Mustang GT - Stock

1976 Thunderbird - Stock

2003 F-150

I use to call mine the No-Paz.

So I'm assuming that your Marauder doesn't do the same thing?

No, my Marauder warms up normally, and then stays that way, I haven't seen any wild fluctuations in temperature once it warms up...
    Spoiler
    6 Disc CD Changer
    Trunk Organizer
    SS Inserts
    Weatherflectors
    WeatherTech Floormats
    ZAINO...need I say more?
    Sway Bar
    REAL Oil Pressure Gauge
    KB Dead Pedal

1986 Mustang GT - Stock

1976 Thunderbird - Stock

2003 F-150

Sounds like an air pocket in the system. Try bleeding it first.

Good suggestion, LML!!
    Spoiler
    6 Disc CD Changer
    Trunk Organizer
    SS Inserts
    Weatherflectors
    WeatherTech Floormats
    ZAINO...need I say more?
    Sway Bar
    REAL Oil Pressure Gauge
    KB Dead Pedal

1986 Mustang GT - Stock

1976 Thunderbird - Stock

2003 F-150

^^^what LML said^^^

BTW, Rick, congrats on your new employment status...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Also, this morning after the car warmed up on the way into the office, I encountered some heavy traffic and was at a standstill for a while. During that time, it seemed like the car got cold and the process started over again. Granted, it was cold this morning (high teens) but I've never had that happen before.
    Mine does this too. I also know that a few other members who have MMs here in the colder climate complain of teh same thing. I know the problem is not caused by an air pocket in my cooling system. What is weird is that the gage needle doesn't move much but the air temperatire gets considerably cooler. I assumed that this was to keep the motor temperature constant as the motor is far more important than the occupants of the car.

Highland, Michigan (40 miles NW of Detroit)

I have an answer

I just picked up my maruader 3 weeks ago and had the same problem. Took it to the dealer to check the thermostat. It had aluminum metal chips stuck in it - presumably left from the factory. They changed the thermostat and it works fine now. I kept the aluminum chips for any possible warranty work that may be need. I would really like to know how your situation turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    I've noticed for a while and never bothered to ask, but why does the temperature gauge spike all of the way to the top before settling down to a normal level? I once had a 1987 Mercury Topaz, the only other Mercury I've ever owned, and it did the same thing.

Any thoughts from anyone? And yes, I'm still embarrassed about once having owned a Mercury Topaz.
    2004 Marauder - Dark Toreador Red
    Removed "Warning" stickers on sun visors
    - Looks Great without those stupid stickers!
    69,000 miles
    1/4 mile: 15.3 @93.2mph
    - (7/8 tank fuel, two passengers, full trunk)
    All stock (so far)

I have never seen a temperature spike or reduction in heater output and it is COLD here in the winter.

jta

2003 Marauder 300A
    --76 of 7838 208 of 7839
    --Born on 5/27/02
    --4:10 gears
    --SCT9100 Tuner (Lidio's Tune)
    --BFG KDW2 Tires (235/50 front; 255/55 rear)
    --12C spark plugs
    --Granatelli Connectors
    --Pro-Guard
    1976 Eldorado Convertible For Sale
    In line for a 2023 F-150 Lightning XLT

Okay...Okay...

Okay...I'm like "wtf" are we talking about here?

Outside temps? Engine temps? Cabin temps?

'Round here, outside temps have ducked down to -3 and I drove my MM through them. My engine reached "normal operating temp = 20 MPH" no problem. My cabin temp kindastalled, and it got "cool" inside.

Once I opened a window (to allow my cigarette smoke to escape) it got real warm inside my MM.

What/which temps are we comparing here, eh?

jpatricktaylor Guest
    This kinda sounds like my problem. Driving around town Saturday (outside temp about 20 degrees) after about 15 minutes the temp gauge was at a normal setting, but I realized the air from the vents was ice cold. I played with the temp settings up and down, turned auto on and off, no change. Then the temp gauge rose all the way to the top in about a minute, so I pulled over and popped the hood - anti-freeze was seeping from around the reservoir cap! Luckily, the LM dealer was only about a mile away, so I headed on down there. By the time I got there (maybe 3 minutes) the temp gauge reading had gone back to normal and hot air was coming out of the vents.
    Talked to the service guy yesterday, and he said I had a bad thermostat and a leak in the radiator, both of which they're replacing. I haven't gotten the car back yet because of the freakin' weather - they can't really test drive it effectively in the snow and ice (and I don't want them to!). So I'm sitting here waiting....

This is too weird. Mine does the EXACT same thing. And I thought it was the only one! It doesn't get very cold here, but a few mornings have been in the 20's.

A similar thing happened last year and I bled the cooling system per recommendations here. It got better. Saturday I bled the system again and there was air in there. Again, it's a little better, but still does it.

I've toyed with the idea of pulling the 'stat and going back to the stock one just to see what happens. But if it's happening to stock Marauders, maybe it's time for a dreaded trip to the dealer...
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

Well, it looks like a dreaded trip to the dealer then. I took my wife's car into work today (Jeep Grand Cherokee) due to the weather and have rediscovered how a car is supposed to warm up and keep the occupants comfortable in cold weather. But I wouldn't give my Marauder back for anything, in spite of this minor glitch.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences.

I never had that problem until I changed the thermostat. Same situation as described here. What it turned out to be was the infamous air bubble deal. It took a few days to effectively burp my baby. All that for about a little more htan a quart of coolant.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information