Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexplate

Flexplate

This has both TC bolt patterns, is SFI approved and is for 8 bolt cranks. Am I missing something or is this a good replacement for an 8 bolt crank and our stock convertors?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PMA-PAX28111/

I'm shopping for myself and that's why I ask. I would rather not drill out a FRPP M-6375-H46 if I don't need to. Thanks for any input.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    great find modular performance says it will work
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Good to know! If JT says it's good, it's good! I'll be buying one in a bit and keep this updated.

Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Got it! $115 shipped BNIB because I'm freakin cool like dat!
    PAX28111

Drag racers prayer:

Exclamation Wtf flex plate?

I just ordered the PMA-PAX28111 from Summit and it doesn't fit the 8-bolt crank on an 04 Cobra engine. AND it doesn't fit the Marauder TC. Whut gives?

Here's how it comes:

Needed to drill out two of the center holes to make it fit the crank. Needed to drill 4 new holes to fit our TC.

Here's the two side by side:

Who has successfully used these flex plates without issues? Or is everyone drilling holes to make them fit?
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 08-09-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: no need to quote pix

I have one on my Aluminator with a Circle D converter , it fits perfectly.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

JOE! I never updated this thread properly. I posted here after I found out something else about this: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ight=flexplate

Post #38

Drag racers prayer:

Joe, from my searching, it looks like the cobra guys going from manual to auto are using this flexplate without probs. I know there's a little lateral play in the TC. Not positive though. I ended up using TripleThreat's 8 bolt MM one.

Drag racers prayer:

I think you can use a ford truck one from a windsor motor. I think its the windsor that had the 8 bolt crank. They used to have it listed in the ford racing catalog.

Did you spin the flexplate around the crank to get those bolts to line up? You definatly shouldn't have had to drill the crank holes out. I have had to drill new converter holes in a couple flex plates tho.
    Last edited by Blown3.8; 08-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    ~Chris

Spun it around makes no difference unfortunately. Two of the bolts (exact opposite sides of the crank) are off by 1/8 of an inch. If that. Less than a mm for us Canadians.

My motor is arriving sometime early next week so we have a second one to compare to. It's possible that the crank was changed in the one dad got and we don't know it.

Thumbs up

This thread needs an update in case someone gets stuck like I did with this flexplate:

I emailed PRW directly late SATURDAY NIGHT. I advised them that we had two of their flex plates, purchased a year apart from different vendors, neither of which fit on two separate 04 Cobra motors.

On SUNDAY MORNING I had a reply in my inbox from PRW, asking for some photos of the plates, including their stamps and stickers. I replied and by SUNDAY AFTERNOON I had the following email back from them:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sending the photos. The stamping mould used to produce this part is a “compound” mould that is also used for the 6 bolt Ford application. One of the flexplates that you have are 2011 production and the other 2012. Very strange.

The QC Team identified a short run of crankshaft bore holes that were not concentric and were impounded and later destroyed. Some of those were Production Date Code (PDC): QDF1111. It appears that you received one that slipped through the system.

The other flexplate PDC: QDI1712 is unique to my knowledge. Murphy’s Law was really working overtime for you to get two of these from different distributors produced over a year apart!

I will instruct our QC Manager to complete a random sampling tomorrow to check the most recent production.

1.What is the timetable for your other Cobra build and flexplate installation?
    2.Do you need the same torque convertor bolt pattern for the other flexplate?
    3.Let us know and we will find a resolution for you without any additional shipping or machining costs.

Thanks for taking the time to advise us. I am very sorry for any inconvenience. Have a great weekend and will contact you again later this week as details unfold.

I am blown away by the terrific response from PRW. It's rare to see a company so honestly take accountability like this these days

Man go figure! luck of the draw!
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity, did you try rotating it to see if at one point they do line up? My 8 bolt flexplate and new Eagle 8 bolt crank were just like that until I rotated it to the right spot where all 8 lined up.

Drag racers prayer:

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Out of curiosity, did you try rotating it to see if at one point they do line up? My 8 bolt flexplate and new Eagle 8 bolt crank were just like that until I rotated it to the right spot where all 8 lined up.
    Same here for my flywheel.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information