Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Timing chain

indyridgerunner Guest

Broken Timing chain

Ok. I just purchased an 03 Black MM with 125K. One of my best friends bought the car brand new, and she decided to finally sell it to me. Unfortunately it has a broken timing chain on the driver side as a result of the tensioner going bad, and she doesn't have the funds to get it repaired. So It is now sitting in my garage. I have not started taking the engine out or appart yet, but her mechanic said that one of the cams will not rotate and that he suspects there are some bent valves. Here is my question. What to do? If just the valves are damaged? what to do if the pistons are as well? I have a budget of $5,000 for the rebuild, and want to go as quick as possible. The car has 4.10's, a chip(unknown manufacturer), Cat delete pipes, flowmasters, and a Zex 75hp dry nitrous kit. It went 12.89 on drag radials. Otherwise stock. I am most likely going to remove the Zex kit to sell it and apply it to a bigger wet kit. I am a nitrous guy. I had a 97 Cobra that i Put a ATI Procharger with intercooler on and just wasn't happy with it, so I'm going to stick with Nitrous which Ive been using since I was a teenager, and am very confident in tuning. So I would like opinions on what mods and upgrades are out there and what really works coming from the folks who use them not what the company says they do to sell them. Thanks in advance for all of your advice.

Hi, sailor!

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    Hi, sailor!
    Damn, Casey...you answered all his questions.
    Semper fi

"Those that refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by dakslim View Post
    Damn, Casey...you answered all his questions.
    Lmao!!!!!! Good one.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone
    Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Great quotes!!
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

If there is any binding, just pull the engine and replace it with a used one. Its probably the cheapest and most sensible route.

.....Lmao ^^^^

I thought our engines weren't interference fit. If true, there is no way valves, or pistons would be damaged by a timing chain failure.
    "A street walking cheetah, with a heart full of napalm."

"If You can keep Your Head About You, While Others are Losing Theirs and Blaming It on You..."

"Sometimes it is wiser to remain silent, and seem a fool, than to speak, and remove all doubt."

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."[5]

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Mamba View Post
    I thought our engines weren't interference fit. If true, there is no way valves, or pistons would be damaged by a timing chain failure.
    Wrong, PTV will occur if the chains break.

I have a marauder engine in my Mach 1 and I may be getting rid of it in the next month or so. It's stock except for the 96-98 cobra itnake cams that are installed at Marauder friendly LCs of 107/112.
    Last edited by na svt; 09-30-2011 at 08:30 AM.

ALUMINATOR $6700 for a brand new long block with forged crank pistons and rods, the Terminator engine with the WAP aluminum block instead of the Iron block used in the 03-04 cobra

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford%20Racing/...0002/-1?CT=999

The High compression one is direct fit for a Marauder.

Trying to rebuild the existing engine can exceed your budget pretty quick if you are paying for the work.
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

Casey you are Da Man.

There are many options and having to spend almost 7k isn't a good one. JDM has a forged stroker shortblock w/aluminum block block for $2999 and you can get your heads done for less than $1k. Add gaskets, bolts and oil pump and your still less than $5k. The stroker will add a good amount of torque which is just what the Marauder needs.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...pecial-178754/
    Last edited by na svt; 09-30-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by na svt View Post
    There are many options and having to spend almost 7k isn't a good one. JDM has a forged stroker shortblock w/aluminum block block for $2999 and you can get your heads done for less than $1k. Add gaskets, bolts and oil pump and your still less than $5k. The stroker will add a good amount of torque which is just what the Marauder needs.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...pecial-178754/
    That is a damm good deal there pretty hard to beat that HOWEVER.....

If you are paying for the work IMHO the complete engine will end up costing less.

The Aluminator is still a "Production" engine while the JDM unit is custom assembled so it should be a tougher piece by a long shot...
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

I fixed this problem for about $500 but if the timing chain broke there is more then likly an oil preasher problem that locked up one of the cams. Meaning there's more damadge you are going to find a little later (5000 to 10000 miles later). Ask me how I know!

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

indyridgerunner Guest
    Dang. That JDM stroker short block is very tempting. Anybody know of any real world numbers on HP and Torque increase with the rest of the stock components? Has anybody played around with afermarket cam shafts? "NA SVT" could you please PM me about your engine that may be coming up for sale? I will have mine removed and disassembled well before a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information