Thread: parking brake

parking brake

Has anyone changed the parking brake shoes on their MM ? Seen a thread on here where the guy said he was getting a shudder out of rear when in reverse - mine was doing the same and for sure thought the worst but the linings had slipped on the parking brake shoes. When I pulled the rear rotors off the linings fell out in pieces! Now sitting here with new shoes thinking how in the....do they change these, surely you dont have to pull the axles? And no Im not calling anyone Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by DCW View Post
    Has anyone changed the parking brake shoes on their MM ? Seen a thread on here where the guy said he was getting a shudder out of rear when in reverse - mine was doing the same and for sure thought the worst but the linings had slipped on the parking brake shoes. When I pulled the rear rotors off the linings fell out in pieces! Now sitting here with new shoes thinking how in the....do they change these, surely you dont have to pull the axles? And no Im not calling anyone Shirley
    Can be done without pulling the axles.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

i think you have to take off the hub to do these :-/
    2003 SB Marauder
    production sequence number 6913 of 7839
    color sequence number 3 of 417

Born date: 3/25/03
    Adopted date: 2/25/06

Lidio's tune, SS Inserts, Machined Marauder Pedals and Footrest, Aero2525, Custom H-Pipe, Deleted 2nd set of cats, 2.5in piping over axle, Megs 4'' RES Delete tips, aftermarket deck lid spoiler , Custom god's head grille emblem, S-55 tail light treatment (thanks silversurfer03), 265/50 rear, 235/50 front nitto 555's, 4.10's , K&N CAI, GMS coil packs

-If you're not first, you're last-

Quote Originally Posted by DCW View Post
    I have replaced them before do not have to pull axles.
    Russ, Monroe NC.

Hmmm... Anyone ever hear loud banging in the drivetrain because of the ebrake falling apart?
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Hmmm... Anyone ever hear loud banging in the drivetrain because of the ebrake falling apart?
    nope. I use mine on the regular, tho. probably won't get a chance to get rusty and fall apart.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

When I took one last ride before I pulled her in to remove the engine, I heard a loud BANG! Then three bangs in a row, pause, three more, pause, three more... It will slow down and speed up relational to speed. Coming from rear, trans works, all gears there. Haven't jacked up the rear yet cause I'm on the engine at the moment...
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

As stated above, no need to pull the axles. Just do one side at a time so you have a reference.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    As stated above, no need to pull the axles. Just do one side at a time so you have a reference.

IF you are close to needing a axle fluid change do pull them!!

Sure you CAN get the shoes back on, but on my 96 Lincoln I clearly wasted enough time fighting the hold down clips and the springs to have drained and filled the axle TWICE.
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

anybody in the southern part of SC of near Savannah GA want to help me put this back together, recently replaced rotors and my left shoe pretty much fall apart, the springs came out and everything, i have all the pieces in a bag just need to have it put back together, but im lost

I thought my transmission was coming apart! I did the parking brake delete after that incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Just another clown on a bike...

As good as any man, better than none.

Former owner of a highly modified and very fast Marauder.

"You CAN fit a square peg into a round hole, all you need is a big enough hammer." -Original

Still have my original parking brake shoes on. When I changed my rear rotors last year I still had a fair amount of shoe left and I lubed things up.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Thread Information