Thread: Steering wheel badge replacement

Steering wheel badge replacement

As the title says I replaced the steering wheel badge in Ms. Denmark's SB today and it is pretty easy to do.

First thing I did was see if it would just glue on to the existing one and that is a no go. Badges are the same size.

So then I said to self there is an airbag in there and I don't feel like losing teeth if it goes off so I disconnected the battery and went to have a beer. I'm not sure if there are capacitors or anything like that so I figured I'd let any power bleed down before I started poking around. Keeps the horn quite too while you putter.

I found the badge easy to remove and one of the most important aspects of this task is to make sure you do it when the interior of the car is very warm. I wouldn't do this mod in cold weather as the vinyl will not be pliable.

First I used a thin screwdriver to carefully pry up the badge. Once it's up about and 1/8 of and inch I used an old putty knife that had rounded edges as to not rip into the vinyl of the wheel. Since the vinyl was very warm and pliable it lifted easily. There are thin aluminum tabs that fold under the vinyl of the wheel to hold it on and they straighten with a minimum amount of effort. Once 3-4 of the tabs were straight and out of their locating holes the rest of the badge just fell out.

Pretty easy so far .... unfortunately Ford decided to make the OEM badge kind of hollow on the back and it fits over a raised asteric looking thing made of the steering wheels vinyl. I was able to carefully and slowly whittle away at this asteric looking thing with a utility knife but if you have a Dremel or some other type of device you may be able to do this part more quickly. Just take your time as the vinyl is not very thick. The fact that the inside of the car was very warm made cutting the vinyl a piece of cake, just time consuming.

Once I was satisfied with my cutting job and the surface was relatively flat all that needs to be done is a quick cleaning with some alcohol wipes to remove any grease and loose particles.

Line up the new badge with the steering wheel using the lettering on the top of the badge not the Mercury man. Ours says Marauder across the top and 154 of 997 across the bottom but yours may say something different as Danial from Colex can make them semi-custom for you. Danial was very amenable to what Ms. D wanted and the final product is a piece of artwork.

I then connected the battery back up and didn't hear any explosions so not sitting in the car I reached in from behind the steering wheel started the car up. No explosion so all seemed good to go.

Badge looks like what the car should have had from the start from Mercury instead of the waterfall.

I would like to post pics but the camera and computer are having a tiff with each other and will not communicate. I will however post some pics when I get my computer buddy over here to work out the problem. That'll cost me a six pack but he usually asks me to help him drink it so it's all good.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest this is like a 3. Just make sure you do it on a warm day and the inside of the car has had a few hours to bake in the Sun to warm up the vinyl to make it pliable. Take your time and you will get positive results too.
    Last edited by Mr. Man; 04-16-2012 at 01:47 PM.

I have a CARmotorsports one and just put it right over my factory emblem.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    I have a CARmotorsports one and just put it right over my factory emblem.
    The Colex badge is the same size as the OEM and really would look stupid if you just glued it on.

Pictures or it did not happen
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

[QUOTE=Mr. Man;1171859]Line up the new badge with the steering wheel using the lettering on the top of the badge not the Mercury man. Ours says Marauder across the top and 154 of 997 across the bottom but yours may say something different as Danial from Colex can make them semi-custom for you. Danial was very amenable to what Ms. D wanted and the final product is a piece of artwork.[QUOTE]

So your new steering badge that you got from "Daniel" has adhesive/two way stick tape to adhere it to the steering wheel?

As you stated the stock one has pins holding it in.

BTW thanks for posting this thread as I was verying interested in doing this mod but wasn't sure on removing the old badge and the dreaded air bag.....blowing up in my face. I also thought that the whole steering wheel cover with the air bag had to be removed to get to the pins which are on the inside.

I will definetly plan on ordering one from "Daniel" but just need to know if his has adhesive/two way stick tape and how will this hold up in the blazing hot summer day. I don't want it to just fall off......
    Last edited by screamn; 04-16-2012 at 02:20 PM.

I did mine several years ago with one of Daniel's badges and siliconed it in place after removing the "asterisk"!!

I filled the gap around it with black acrylic caulk......so far so good but I bet it will take your head off if the airbag deploys!!

Nice write up!!
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdogjim View Post
    Pictures or it did not happen
    I'm working on it! Took the pics but my computer has decided not to recognize my camera since we installed Firefox.

[QUOTE=screamn;1171873][QUOTE=Mr. Man;1171859]Line up the new badge with the steering wheel using the lettering on the top of the badge not the Mercury man. Ours says Marauder across the top and 154 of 997 across the bottom but yours may say something different as Danial from Colex can make them semi-custom for you. Danial was very amenable to what Ms. D wanted and the final product is a piece of artwork.

So your new steering badge that you got from "Daniel" has adhesive/two way stick tape to adhere it to the steering wheel?

As you stated the stock one has pins holding it in.

BTW thanks for posting this thread as I was verying interested in doing this mod but wasn't sure on removing the old badge and the dreaded air bag.....blowing up in my face. I also thought that the whole steering wheel cover with the air bag had to be removed to get to the pins which are on the inside.

I will definetly plan on ordering one from "Daniel" but just need to know if his has adhesive/two way stick tape and how will this hold up in the blazing hot summer day. I don't want it to just fall off......
    Yes it comes with double sided tape. We'll let you know if there are any issues with it coming loose. Right now it is perfectly secure and looks more OEM than the real OEM. The fit on this is PERFECT! as is the craftsmanship! Highly recommended!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    I did mine several years ago with one of Daniel's badges and siliconed it in place after removing the "asterisk"!!

I filled the gap around it with black acrylic caulk......so far so good but I bet it will take your head off if the airbag deploys!! Lets hope not...

Nice write up!!
    I agree! Mr. Man did a great job on both the install and the tutorial! BTW my badge is a different design and shape than yours so no caulking required.
    OOPS!!! Above was posted by Ms. D!
    Last edited by Mr. Man; 04-16-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Thread Information