Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proper way to service your transmission

Got the "u-haul" pan from Tasca. New fluid and filter going in on Tuesday. Letting a local dealer, Scarsdale Ford do the fluid flush and swap in the new pan. Then I can add an easy partial fluid change to the yearly maintenance list.
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Jay, you could have spent $3 and had a plug put in your original pan. 10mm bolts for the tranny pan, easy peezy, do it yourself! For the amount of money you are going to pay someone to install the pan and do a tranny fluid flush, you could buy an oil drain pan, 10mm socket, ratchet, 5 qts merconV, and filter and enjoy it with a 6 pack of beer, and a sense of accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Jay, you could have spent $3 and had a plug put in your original pan. 10mm bolts for the tranny pan, easy peezy, do it yourself! For the amount of money you are going to pay someone to install the pan and do a tranny fluid flush, you could buy an oil drain pan, 10mm socket, ratchet, 5 qts merconV, and filter and enjoy it with a 6 pack of beer, and a sense of accomplishment

Have a photos of this drain plug ?
    2003 MM 300A
    #738 of 7,838 BLK
    Build date: 6/6/2002
    Adopted: 2/05/2013

MODS:

Metco control arms, Addco sway bars, TCE brake lines, Gatorback belt, remote start, underbody lights, custom doorsills. Black with custom silver hood stripes (S-55 theme)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT
    Adopted on12/09/18 from chief455

COMING SOON-Trilogy #005 THANKS CWright-
    I am afraid you have awakened a sleeping Giant

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...=view&id=14156

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN MARAUDER View Post
    Im happy for you bro! Let the mods begin! I hear the mod bug broke his stinger when he heard you pulled the trigger!

BIG BIG thanks to the GOD of marauder parts ( Darren) I am the 1st winner of Darren bag of fun give-away

I have 54,000 miles on my 2004 Silver Birch. I have replaced the fluid and filter three times already. 15K and out has always been my motto.

The first time I had the trans fluid and filter done, I also replaced the pan with a drain plug, deep dish, extra capacity unit. I like fluids clean and cool.

Even though I use Mobile 1 in the Marauder, I change the oil every 3,000 miles. Again, clean and cool. Yes..... I have an oil cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Guittard22 View Post
    Have a photos of this drain plug ?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00029...&robot_redir=1

Its exactly like this, without the b&m name. They a literally like $3 at a flaps. Just walk in, and say "hi, my name is sue, and id like to know if you have a universal drain plug. Im trying to add a plug to my transmission pan"

Yup could have bought a plug but thought this welded in unit would be nice. Also I can't easily do a complete flush of all the fluid. That is why I am having that work done. It sure would have been nice if ford had continued to include a drain plug on the torque converter.

I know I could have gone back and changed the pan and filter myself after having the initial flush done but for the extra $70 (less the cost of a filter & 5 quarts of fluid it would have cost me to do it myself) it saves me some time which right at the moment I am short of.

Either way I am glad to get nice fresh fluid in there and a plug for regular 5 quart freshening.

I have been hemming and hawing over adding a tranny cooler. I know they are great, particularly with fords. I added the factory coolers to my old 93, which was the predecessor to my marauder, and the 89 wagon. I wonder if I can add a cooler without cutting the existing lines as mods are a slippery slope which I have mostly avoided on the Marauder so far.
    03 MM, DBP, Charcoal, 6disk, HS, organizer, spoiler Mods: Z&M arms, Beamtech Led headlight bulbs, LED turns, ditch, tails, reverse & interior(blue), oil deflector, U-Hall Tranny pan. running stock size Cooper Zeon RS3-G1

02 SL500 Silver Arrow - first aid kit delete, maybe for sale

08 Town Car Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Yup could have bought a plug but thought this welded in unit would be nice. Also I can't easily do a complete flush of all the fluid. That is why I am having that work done. It sure would have been nice if ford had continued to include a drain plug on the torque converter.

I know I could have gone back and changed the pan and filter myself after having the initial flush done but for the extra $70 (less the cost of a filter & 5 quarts of fluid it would have cost me to do it myself) it saves me some time which right at the moment I am short of.

Either way I am glad to get nice fresh fluid in there and a plug for regular 5 quart freshening.

I have been hemming and hawing over adding a tranny cooler. I know they are great, particularly with fords. I added the factory coolers to my old 93, which was the predecessor to my marauder, and the 89 wagon. I wonder if I can add a cooler without cutting the existing lines as mods are a slippery slope which I have mostly avoided on the Marauder so far.
    Yes you can add an aftermarket cooler without cutting any existing lines. Add the cooler in series with the OEM cooler. Plumb it so the fluid comes out of the OEM cooler, into the aftermarket cooler then back to the tranny.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Transmission Power Flow Charts for 4R and others: http://www.toolcrib.ca/assets/pdfs/power_flow.pdf

Sonnax parts: http://www.sonnax.com/units/278-4R70W
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Transmission Power Flow Charts for 4R and others: http://www.toolcrib.ca/assets/pdfs/power_flow.pdf

Sonnax parts: http://www.sonnax.com/units/278-4R70W
    It's interesting that the Overdrive Band is applied when shifting manually into 2nd gear.

I've owned my Marauder since June of 2003 and have almost 100,000 miles on it and have been shifting manually from time to time when running Auto Cross events, burnouts and when standing on it from a stop light. So it must not hurt the transmission to shift it manually.

Transmission Slipping and Failing

I have a 2003 MM with 41,000 miles and an SCT Tuner I purchased from DR. I recently started having problems with the transmission going into neutral of failing to shift gears and then the car stalls out.

Transmission Flush was done at Jiffy Lube 2 years ago.

If I restart the engine, it works fine for a few days then does the same thing again.

I removed the DR tune today and it did the same thing again an hour later.

Any idea what the problem is?

have you tried shutting off the overdrive when it happens? my car was going into neutral instead of fourth and when I drove with the od off it was fine. was a fairly inexpensive fix but your car may not have the same problem seeing that yours is shutting down and mine was not. david.

My 2004 MM now has 40000 mi. It had a flush at the dealer 2 years ago at 32000. It's also flinging itself in to neutral in the last week. I did notice that the overdrive lockout makes a difference, but I haven't really qualified it. I'm trying not to drive it until I take it to the dealer this Friday.

In the normal once or twice per week commute 23 miles to and from work (45 minutes), in Drive with the lockout disabled (normal), 2nd gear when the engine rpm reaches 2300-2500, it wants to shift into 3rd. Depending on traffic slowing down in front of me (happens between 35-45mph), the trans tries to go to 3rd, but comes back down to 2nd because of the traffic or an upcoming hill right at that shift point. After that, if it doesn't get into 3rd or 4th by 3000 or 4000 rpm, it goes to neutral (can't say for sure. I'm not fond of driving it this way to qualify it). I have noticed that if I enable the Overdrive Lockout at 2000rpm, it has shifted to 3rd when it gets higher in the rpm (not sure where). I have noticed that when I release the lockout it will either go to 4th or neutral (if the rpm is high enough). When there's no traffic and I've been driving for a while (with lockout disabled) and there's no upcoming hill at my 2-3 shift point, it will go from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th. I think this is because I'm moving on with authority and not just resting my foot on the accelerator pedal or covering the brake waiting to see what the traffic will eventually do.

The car seems to not like the commuting repetitive sequences of starting from a stop, 1st, 2nd, now everybody off the gas for a long distance, now everybody gently on the gas to about 40mph. At that time I'm free wheeling, adding gas because I'm not accellerating, figiting with the lockout, finally getting it to jump into 4th. Now the guys next to me want to race because I've been gunning my engine.

The commute has been like this since 2007 when they tore up the highway and force us off onto the side street to stop at that light. Then we get back on the highway, go for a while, then exit again because there's another light to drive under. 19 traffic lights in all. If there's any cross traffic waiting to cross, I will have to stop when I get to the light.

The transmission failing to engage through the full range of gears has happened on my last 3 commutes.

I thought the fluid might be low. Checked it several times. fluid covering the tip of the dipstick and along one side of the stick. I thought that since the stick is bending down the contortion of the tube, it's scraping off some fluid that hasn't drained back into the transmission. So I added 1.5 quarts of Mercon V at .5 quarts at a time. I checked it each time. Last check showed about a quart over full, maybe 1.5 quarts. The service manual says to lay the stick down on a white or dry (don't remember which word) and see where the fluid comes up to.

Anyway, I'm driving something else until I get it into the shop on Friday.
    The engine has never died through all of this and I don't want it to start now if that's what I have to look forward to. Fluid is clean and does not smell burnt. Smells like almost fresh fluid.
    Last edited by Muddflapp; 10-18-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddflapp View Post
    My 2004 MM now has 40000 mi. It had a flush at the dealer 2 years ago at 32000. It's also flinging itself in to neutral in the last week. I did notice that the overdrive lockout makes a difference, but I haven't really qualified it. I'm trying not to drive it until I take it to the dealer this Friday.

In the normal once or twice per week commute 23 miles to and from work (45 minutes), in Drive with the lockout disabled (normal), 2nd gear when the engine rpm reaches 2300-2500, it wants to shift into 3rd. Depending on traffic slowing down in front of me (happens between 35-45mph), the trans tries to go to 3rd, but comes back down to 2nd because of the traffic or an upcoming hill right at that shift point. After that, if it doesn't get into 3rd or 4th by 3000 or 4000 rpm, it goes to neutral (can't say for sure. I'm not fond of driving it this way to qualify it). I have noticed that if I enable the Overdrive Lockout at 2000rpm, it has shifted to 3rd when it gets higher in the rpm (not sure where). I have noticed that when I release the lockout it will either go to 4th or neutral (if the rpm is high enough). When there's no traffic and I've been driving for a while (with lockout disabled) and there's no upcoming hill at my 2-3 shift point, it will go from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th. I think this is because I'm moving on with authority and not just resting my foot on the accelerator pedal or covering the brake waiting to see what the traffic will eventually do.

The car seems to not like the commuting repetitive sequences of starting from a stop, 1st, 2nd, now everybody off the gas for a long distance, now everybody gently on the gas to about 40mph. At that time I'm free wheeling, adding gas because I'm not accellerating, figiting with the lockout, finally getting it to jump into 4th. Now the guys next to me want to race because I've been gunning my engine.

The commute has been like this since 2007 when they tore up the highway and force us off onto the side street to stop at that light. Then we get back on the highway, go for a while, then exit again because there's another light to drive under. 19 traffic lights in all. If there's any cross traffic waiting to cross, I will have to stop when I get to the light.

The transmission failing to engage through the full range of gears has happened on my last 3 commutes.

I thought the fluid might be low. Checked it several times. fluid covering the tip of the dipstick and along one side of the stick. I thought that since the stick is bending down the contortion of the tube, it's scraping off some fluid that hasn't drained back into the transmission. So I added 1.5 quarts of Mercon V at .5 quarts at a time. I checked it each time. Last check showed about a quart over full, maybe 1.5 quarts. The service manual says to lay the stick down on a white or dry (don't remember which word) and see where the fluid comes up to.

Anyway, I'm driving something else until I get it into the shop on Friday.
    The engine has never died through all of this and I don't want it to start now if that's what I have to look forward to. Fluid is clean and does not smell burnt. Smells like almost fresh fluid.
    Do you have a tune?

The linkage may need adjustment.

Check page 192 - 2004 MM - for the proper way to check trans fluid level, page 204 - 2003 MM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I just put 03 Cobra Mustang motor in my 03 Mercury Marauder and I was hoping that someone knows someone to write a tune for the motor and the transmission. Can anyone help.

Quote Originally Posted by marauder_2 View Post
    I just put 03 Cobra Mustang motor in my 03 Mercury Marauder and I was hoping that someone knows someone to write a tune for the motor and the transmission. Can anyone help.
    We could handle that.

Did you do a six speed swap as well?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information