Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proper way to service your transmission

For anyone looking for a cheaper pan than the U-Haul that has a drain plug, the Dorman 265813 is a nice piece that can be had for $25 shipped if you have Amazon Prime.

There it is on my 08 GMQ. I had the U-Haul pan on my GMQ before, but I swapped it on to the Marauder and used the Dorman pan on the GMQ. it's similar to the U-Haul, only major difference I'd the plug faces the front of the car as opposed to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    For anyone looking for a cheaper pan than the U-Haul that has a drain plug, the Dorman 265813 is a nice piece that can be had for $25 shipped if you have Amazon Prime.

There it is on my 08 GMQ. I had the U-Haul pan on my GMQ before, but I swapped it on to the Marauder and used the Dorman pan on the GMQ. it's similar to the U-Haul, only major difference I'd the plug faces the front of the car as opposed to the rear.

I second this, I bought this cheap pan for the plug. Works fine.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    #2928 of 7838
    Build date: 8/6/02
    Ship date: 5/28/03
    14.33 @ 96.82 with OLD engine
    6R80 swap in progress

1968 Chevelle
    NA/Pump Gas 10.4 @ 128 mph
    416/4L85E LSA Supercharged build underway

I like this write-up. I am living proof that a transmission fluid/filter change AND fluid exchange WORK! My 2006 Taurus started dropping out of overdrive with gentle throttle application and a washboard sensation was felt in the driveline. I immediately took it to a transmission guy I trust (Rod, Lee County Transmissions). He brought along a real-time scope and off we went for a test drive. He showed me the lockup of the torque converter and how it was sporadic. He stated I'd probably need a TC and stated just rebuild the whole AX4N while it was out. He asked if I'd ever done a fluid change because MercV uses a friction modifier that wears out. I had 95K on the odometer.

Reluctantly I bought a case of good MercV, a filter/gasket and got to work. I knew this could be wasted effort but I took the chance. I dropped the pan and it was relatively clean inside, replaced the gasket and torqued everything to spec. Using a 5 gallon bucket graduated in quarts I disconnected the cooler lines and pointed them into the bucket. I started the car and at idle watched the bucket begin to fill. When the fluid got to a few quarts I began pouring the new fluid in to keep up with the fill ratio of the bucket. Four quarts for every gallon of fluid in the bucket. The difference in color was evident when the new fluid began to come out. Reconnected the cooler lines to an auxiliary cooler after the OE cooler and topped the fluid off.

This was 3 years ago and 35K miles. It never acted up again.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Yes you can add an aftermarket cooler without cutting any existing lines. Add the cooler in series with the OEM cooler. Plumb it so the fluid comes out of the OEM cooler, into the aftermarket cooler then back to the tranny.

I did it the other way around, to make sure the aftermarket one ALWAYS works.

So I've bought the Dorman pan; and reluctantly are considering doing the "original pan" drop in my garage (at home. I add reluctantly because it's been YEARS since I dropped a trans-pan, and remember the utter mess it can make down your arm!).

Anyway...if I do the drop at home,
    how many bottles (quarts for you US guys / Litres for us Canadians), should I buy and drop in? (and that includes the filter change this time too).
    Is there a difference in amount that goes in from this point, without the filter change?

I am DEFINATELY going to a full-synthetic fluid - Mercron V compatible of course.
    Last edited by Rockettman; 05-17-2016 at 05:43 AM.
    "Barry's" the name;
    Drums and Cars are my game

"I smash the pedal; air and fuel go in; witchcraft happens; I go fast!"

"No question is stupid, if you don't know the answer!"

2004 / Black / 1981 of 3214.
    #184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockettman View Post
    So I've bought the Dorman pan; and reluctantly are considering doing the "original pan" drop in my garage (at home. I add reluctantly because it's been YEARS since I dropped a trans-pan, and remember the utter mess it can make down your arm!).

Anyway...if I do the drop at home,
    how many bottles (quarts for you US guys / Litres for us Canadians), should I buy and drop in? (and that includes the filter change this time too).
    Is there a difference in amount that goes in from this point, without the filter change?

I am DEFINATELY going to a full-synthetic fluid - Mercron V compatible of course.
    Regular Mercon V is fine. You will need about 5-6 with a pan drop and filter change.
    If you drain the pan every other oil change, your transmission will last forever.

Thank you Zack.

Is there a difference in amount, the next time (only draining, without the filter)?
    "Barry's" the name;

#184 of 509 in black out of 1214 total in all three colors with the moonroof option.

Is the oil pan gasket, re-useable on these transmissions?
    (Is there a need to purchase a new one)?
    "Barry's" the name;

Is the oil pan gasket, re-useable on these transmissions?
    (Is there a need to purchase a new one)?
    The trans pan gasket is reusable, no need to replace.

Also, both my GMQ and Marauder only took 5qts to be dead on full after pan and filter replacement.

The trans pan gasket is reusable, no need to replace.
    This.

Also, both my GMQ and Marauder only took 5qts to be dead on full after pan and filter replacement.
    and this.

Doing a pan drain only (no filter) needs 4 quarts.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Regarding the Dorman pans:

Ok..so maybe a strange question...
    I didn't even realize that the plug was at the front of the pan, as opposed to the back.

If I raise my car up on ramps at home each time I do my change, is there a significant difference in fluid that will drop out, compared to "level" on a hoist?
    (Is the retro-fit of a plug in the original pan, a better idea?)
    "Barry's" the name;

Regarding the Dorman pans:

Ok..so maybe a strange question...
    I didn't even realize that the plug was at the front of the pan, as opposed to the back.

If I raise my car up on ramps at home each time I do my change, is there a significant difference in fluid that will drop out, compared to "level" on a hoist?
    (Is the retro-fit of a plug in the original pan, a better idea?)
    I would assume that there would be less oil in the drain pan since the oil is moving away from the plug. Another reason why I don't use Dorman parts except for their "HELP" parts, clips, specialized nuts, bolt & washers and soft parts like grommets, etc.

Either retrofit a plug in the "correct spot", buy a U-Haul pan or aftermarket deep pan.

Found this quote: "Dorman used to be a great name in "small parts," fasteners, freeze plugs, brass and copper fittings, draincocks, threaded plugs, cotter pins, the like. Parts stores would have a whole wall with chest-high drawer racks in orange and blue labeled "Dorman" on the front. Always top-quality parts.

Today, the name is the only thing left. The real Dorman company no longer exists, it was sold years ago. They are still a source for hard-to-find parts, but quality is hit and miss at best. Mostly chinese-made stuff. Buyer beware, don't trust the name anymore.
    "
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I haven't felt the drain plug placement is an issue at all.

So I have had the swap of my trans-pan to the Dorman one. (Decided to not do it myself afterall).

As I checked the old one (the original) they put in my trunk, I noticed the magnet was still on the old pan!

Did I miss seeing a magnet in the Dorman pan right in the box?
    Or did they just forget, and now probably don't have a magnet in there?

(Just wondering if I need to start something with this shop now).
    Last edited by Rockettman; 06-09-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    "Barry's" the name;

Greetings can anyone advise the WIX # for a transmission Filter for my 2004 MM. Thanks Dale

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information