Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad ride height sensor?

Bad ride height sensor?

I come home from a short drive to find the rear of the car is raised wayyyy too high. I crawled under to take a look at the ride height sensor and the plastic clip on the link popped off the sensor. Other than that, there are no obvios signs of damage.

While moving the sensor so I could re-connect the link, I noticed that the sensor is rather tough to rotate. Is this normal or should it be pretty much free moving? Im worried that somehow its starting to sieze up and this isnt the last time Im going to deal with a disconnected link.
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

First sign of needing a new height sensor. It should move smooth, hit it with some lubricant, but the clips that hold the sensor to the bracket probably failed. The sensor came off and the rear thought it was too low resulting in the over inflation you experienced. New ones are available from Tasca Ford:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FO...ht_2000wt_1320
    2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
    Mods: 21mm rear sway bar, Marauder head unit, Marauder sub/amp, Curless cure, Ford focus fog lamps with Marauder head light switch.

2001 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT: 7.3l nuff said.

2022 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

2017 Ford Edge Titanium

Hg = Mercury (see periodic table of elements).

The clip didnt exactly fail since I was able to clip it back and it stays put when I tug on it but it popped off on its own so I know its damaged to some point and will only get worse.

Gah! The price of that plus the air pump I need to replcace (its getting real loud so its a time bomb) is gonna set me back some coin. That is a crazy price for something that probably costs Ford $12 to make in Mexico.

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

If the height sensor clipped back on then lube it up and let it ride, just know that it can and will probably fall off again.

As for the compressor, if its loud but still functions you may just need some new isolators, which are way cheaper then a new compressor.
    Mods: 21mm rear sway bar, Marauder head unit, Marauder sub/amp, Curless cure, Ford focus fog lamps with Marauder head light switch.

2017 Ford Edge Titanium

You should also improve the drainage for the air compressor by adding holes to the box it sits in.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 05-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Same thing happened to Phoebe a while back, but the car thought it was too high and lowered all the way down. I popped the link back on, but it popped off again soon after. The old sensor was very stiff and jerky...the new one was very easy to move.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thumbs up been there done that 2

If it is not operating smoothly(binds)it is spent.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Quote Originally Posted by Hg M75 View Post
    If the height sensor clipped back on then lube it up and let it ride, just know that it can and will probably fall off again.

As for the compressor, if its loud but still functions you may just need some new isolators, which are way cheaper then a new compressor.
    I dont want to deal with it falling off again especially since I have several road trips and an Eaton swap planned for this summer.

Where can I get new isolators? I'll try those and see what happens. Also gonna drill drain holes in the box as others have stated.

Isabelle has about 65k on her now. Im getting the feeling this is the point where stupid stuff starts going wrong that shouldnt... Next up is diff clutches, EATC o-rings, and window switch lights again.

To do list:

A lot of guys order from Arnott. I have not. But they have isolators for $20.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...d9_gid208.html

I also remember reading a bulletin about excessive air compressor noise associated with the compressor rubbing against the plastic housing. When you open the box for the air compressor look for witness marks in the plastic.

Height sensor, might just have to bite the bullet and get it.

As for the window switch lights, have fun. There is an excellent write up with photos on here. I have attempted to fix my door lock switch lights a half dozen times now. They stay on for a bit but after a few opening and shutting of the doors they go out again. Haven't found a solution for that yet.

2017 Ford Edge Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Hg M75 View Post
    First sign of needing a new height sensor. It should move smooth, hit it with some lubricant, but the clips that hold the sensor to the bracket probably failed. The sensor came off and the rear thought it was too low resulting in the over inflation you experienced. New ones are available from Tasca Ford:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FO...ht_2000wt_1320
    Is this ebay link for the correct kit? It says compatable with cv/gm/towncar 2007-11.

The arm came off mine (it's gone, fell off somewhere, I guess), and now the rear end is jacked up to the top.
    Last edited by yoshahito; 05-05-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Yes, that's the one.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Bit the bullet hard. Part arrived on Friday and is getting installed today. I should have knocked on wood when I talked about stupid stuff going wrong... Now I have some wierd binding/jerking/jumping feeling in my steering wheel, feels like its steering shaft related.

To do list:

Quote Originally Posted by dmjarosz View Post
    Now I have some wierd binding/jerking/jumping feeling in my steering wheel, feels like its steering shaft related.
    Soak the little u-joints on the steering shaft with WD-40 or similar. Phoebe had the same issue a while back and a couple of good blasts fixed it.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

PB blaster ok? How much work is it to replace? I took a quick peek and it looks daunting even though its only a few bolts.

To do list:

Just want to report back that I replaced both the ride height sensor and the Lower Steering Column Shaft. Both were not cheap parts.

All is good, ride height is stable again and my steering stiffness went away. Turns out it was middle of the three u-joints on the steering shaft, the one closest to the exhaust manifold, go figure...

As always, Tasca parts online had the best prices, even with shipping.

Thanks to all who helped, now I can continue shopping for blower parts!

To do list:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information