Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gingerman and Road Course Driving--#2

Gingerman and Road Course Driving--#2

The last post before the thread was closed, was posted by KBMarauder and he said...

"As veteran of many driving schools and countless lapping days, this post has convinced me that my Kenny Brown prepared Marauder is woefully inadequate and that I do not have the necessary ability to participate in this high level event. Instead I''ll take my unmodified 6cyl mustang with 190,000 miles to a Fun Day at Nelson Ledges or enjoy myself at Putnam Park or Mid Ohio. At least those venues encourage easy and safe participation for everyone without making the rules too intimidating.

And I was really looking forward to a whole field of beautiful Marauders just having a good time".

Hmmm...Very effective of a post, for a guy with 10 posts to his credit. And, rather a strong opinion to express, from someone who didn't involve themselves by participating more in the closed thread? Maybe it would not have been closed with more participation?

Be that as it may, the closed thread was never meant to follow any particular direction, or, to scare anyone away. It was intended (by me, anyway) to share some 411 about what lies ahead for those new to this topic.

Driving a road course has a strong alure to it, much like a woman's perfume. To help others find their direction, and hopefully, enjoy their Marauders on an entirely new and different scale, I offer these words.

Not everyone here likes to drag race their Marauder. Not everyone here likes to do burnouts. Not everyone here is supercharged, or, scrubs and polishes their Marauder to the final "all time ever killer" detail. Not everyone here does what others do with their Marauder, and road course driving is just another aspect of the Marauder, another function, or, level of what this great automobile can do. You should look at your Marauder as a teaching tool. The car can do it, do you care to try?

I have owned three Marauders and I loved every one of them. Was I unfaithful to #1 when I bought #2? Was I unfaithful to both #1 and #2 when I bought #3? Dunno...But, stop thinking about your direction as an owner/driver as being unfaithful?

When I bought a Shelby GT, and then bought a second Shelby GT, I had some specific ideas about how I wanted to enjoy both, as much as I have enjoyed every Marauder I have owned. I drove the snot out of each car and road course driving is just another way to do exactly that. I believe automobiles are designed and produced to be driven. Trust me...I am not disappointing Ford, or, Carroll Shelby (R.I.P.)

However, the fact that I have returned to post here from a long absence tells me one thing. I love the people who own Marauders. I love how they drive them. I love how they customize them. I love how they care for them. I love how well the car fits into thier lives and in many cases, opens up their lives.

I can pinpoint some owners as not interesed in attending an Impreza meet (if there is such a thing), but they are at Marauder meets with us all and this weekend, just to see the fine detail, and watch the burnouts, and so on, and just because they own a Marauder too and visit this website. Alas, they may not love me as much because I left this community, but time will tell on this.

The track event planned at Gingerman for MVX is a great idea, and it's just another way to enjoy your Marauder, nothing more. Forgive me for wanting all of you to not be surprised at the gate. My input meant to take some of the alarm out of all of this, and it seems I failed. Missed my mark.

Yup, it's new to us here, but not a new sport, thus the sage advice from experienced owners. Yet, it's still an experience we never heard of before, nor shared among ourselves and when you consider that, this is an important point to keep in mind. It would have been nice to have KBMarauder's input earlier in that closed thread, but I suppose he doesn't visit here often.

DO NOT be alarmed by some of the facts posted about road course driving, it is not a scary or dangerous sport.

I said early on, this is much safer than most other sports. However, "too safe" is not a challenge and if it's not a challenge, it's not a sport. If dicey curves were absent, you would be simply navigating the parking lot at your local shopping center. (Ummm...OTOH, y'all could learn how to do that better after some road course time, IMHO).

Perhaps some of us have had too much experience in the upper levels that we have forgotten what a Novice is looking at? What he/she may expect? If I am responsible for any of this discouragement or alarm, my deepest and sincere apologies to you all. I never meant that.

There are some things to take into consideration, and those discussions were meant to take some of the suspicion out of this opportunity. But, is it not better that we discuss them here before reaching the starting gate?

Notes:

Past experience is not required. Neither is a race qualified car. This is an event staged and held for all Marauder owners.

Safety requirements are mild, just some "sense" involved? Some clothing may have to come up to specs., but we will learn more about this after discussions with Gingerman officials.

Willingness to explore, and learn new things about you, and your Marauder, are very high. You have to want to explore, and learn new stuff. Let's talk?

Y'all be safe, carry on.
    Mac.
    Sergntmac@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac View Post
    Perhaps some of us have had too much experience in the upper levels that we have forgotten what a Novice is looking at? What he/she may expect? If I am responsible for any of this discouragement or alarm, my deepest and sincere apologies to you all. I never meant that.
    Based on attendance at past Maraudervilles, I estimate that there may be 60-75 Marauders in attendance at Marauderville X (MV10) in South Haven. Hopefully, it will even be more than that if we can draw out the members from the Detroit area. I suspect that 90% of them will NOT have any road racing experience AT ALL .... zip, zero, nada ......

Speaking for myself only, I'd like to get a "Heads Up" on what to expect as a First Timer. Hopefully, a little more detail on the event will be forthcoming as we get closer to September.

I think that MOST of the attendees will want to get out on the Gingerman track just for the experience .... like at Indy or Charlotte .... just not at the 200 MPH level of "Loose is Fast and on the edge of Out of Control". But a good deal more than a 25 MPH trip through the school zone.

By their nature, I'd guess that most MM owners enjoy the "spirited" driving experience whether in the straight line fashion or on the twisties .... or both. If they didn't like that kind of driving, they'd probably be in a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Many will want to try out Gingerman within their own comfort zone ... if that is possible.

That said, as a potential First Timer NOVICE at Road Racing, here's what I would like to know:

1. What happens on arrival at Gingerman?
    2. Will there be an opportunity to walk the track for familiarity?
    3. Is a parade lap planned also for familiarity and photo ops? Passengers allowed during the parade lap?
    4. Is there a group training session planned? Or individual one-on-one training? About how long is it?
    5. Do instructors ride along on EVERY ride? Who gets to go SOLO, if anyone?
    6. How many laps for each group?
    7. Specific safety requirements to even get out on the track?
    8. What if I don't have a helmet if one is required?
    9. Will there be a fee to get on the track/training?

Before getting into the nitty gritty of what to do ON THE TRACK, I'd like to know more of WHAT TO EXPECT before then.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

What to expect on the Road Course

Fun. It will leave a smile on your face, and a 'Wow, I really did it". So plan to. This is an unusual event. Staying at the hotel for the sauna is a sorry alternative. We need 90% participation, not 10% and you will take home lifetime memories.

I am a real Walter Mitty, wanting to do it but recognizing that I will be close to last place. I learned that, from several prior outings, 'place doesn't matter'. You will enjoy the experience and, as Sgt Mac said, you will learn some things that will help you in your street driving. What to expect (based on my prior Marauder track experiences. (not on Gingerman).
    1. It will cost something. That doesn't matter. It's a Marauder national event for heavens sake. Likely cost is a nice dinner at Outback Steakhouse.
    2. Safety will be evident throughout and you will appreciate it.
    -You will need a helmet. Snell 2005 or 2010 likely. They will have good ones to rent to you.
    -You will get some instructor in-class lessons where they will speak about the track layout, rules about passing others and maybe not to do it at all. They may want you to bring a fire extinguisher or not. Throw yours in the trunk before you leave home. Probably long sleves and closed toe shoes. You will prefer 100% cotton to poly just in case there is a fire.
    -On the track, you may have a track radio station that you can turn in. An instructor may likely be driving the track and provide assistance if needed.
    -You don't have to go fast. They will instruct on how to go your own speed while staying out of the way of faster cars. They may even have separate sessions for slower cars in one group and the Sgt Macs in another group. Start out in the slow group. Its a conficence builder.
    3. Your car: Sessions will likely be limited to 20 minutes at a time. The road course requires 100% of your concentration (sorry, no texting) and it is demanding of your car.
    -Be sure your cooling systems are in top shape. Your engine & trannie will get hot. They will survive, but they get a cool down in between sessions.
    -Drive the course with your OD off. Period. Its an automatic. Let the computer and the trannie do their job. (my opinon, others may differ)
    -Brakes are important. Really important. They will get hotter than a quattro de julio firecracker. If pads and rotors are marginal, replace both before leaving home. You should anyway. At the track, use the snot out of them. You will be amazed at how good they are under demanding use. When you pull off the track, park the car as quickly as you can and do not hold you foot on the brakes while you phone your honey with excitement. And, do not use the emergency brake when you are parked. The press of the pads will warp hot rotors during cool down.
    4. Tires: Leave your burn-out set at the hotel. Drive to the meet on good tires (yes, it's probably time that you buy the good ones with at least OEM speed rating). Fat drag meats should stay at the hotel also. You may hear some grumbling out of the tires on some turns, but ignore them. They can do it. oh, put air in them. I run 38# all around.

Ok, yaall, add what I have forgotten.

John
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

The most fun I have had in my Marauders have been on road courses.
    Several years back about five of us from this site participated in a track weekend at Sebring sponsored by SVTOA
    I can tell you that a properly prepared MM is a blast on a road course, that weekend in Sebring we surprised a lot of "built" Mustangs...
    Last edited by jimlam56; 05-19-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Don't know why the other thread was closed.

But I thought it was great to see Mark and Mac's input on what to be expecting.

The thread was very informative and a good heads up for the fun to come!

I already have my SNELL helmet.
    Last edited by DOOM; 05-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.

The KING of BLING!

BOOST GETS YOU IMPERSONATED!

Quote Originally Posted by GOT5.0 View Post
    Be forewarned dont run the one that says DOOM. cause thats just what youll get!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEDOWN View Post
    It's easy to find D00M, just follow his smoke or his trail of trophies!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMBLUE View Post
    When your good nobody likes ya, everyones jealous.

Good post, Mac. Whole thing was good.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
    Don't know why the other thread was closed.

But I thought it was great to see Mark and Mac's input on what to be expecting.

The thread was very informative and a good heads up for the fun to come!

I already have my SMELLY helmet.
    We've done the road course at NHMS (paced) and it is a lot of fun.(3 or 4 laps) NHMS is brutal on the transitions on and off the oval but still we had a good time as I believe every one else did as well.

If the paced laps are quick at Gingerman everybody should have a good time doing that even if they don't want to do the educational road course that Mac and Mark are talking about.

Waiting to make our final determination on what we will do after Pops posts up the final itinerary with prices and so forth.

I hope I can fine a helmet to my head

I am up for a few laps aroung any track
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I think the biggest problem for me is going to be a helmet. I do not want to purchase one since I have about 4 Motorcycle helmets. I do not have a problem renting one if it is not too expensive. I am really looking forward to taking some fun laps around a road course. I too learned quite a bit from the other thread and do not understand why it was closed. Please keep us informed!!!!
    2004 DTR Marauder, #423 of 9806
    2004 SB Marauder, SOLD
    2003 Black Marauder, #3029 of 7093
    2003 Black Supercharged Marauder, #1940 of 7093
    2003 DBP Marauder, #225 of 328, SOLD
    2007 Black Shelby GT Terlingua
    2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT 5.0
    2018 Platinum White King Ranch F150 FX4

Hard to wait for this. Some really good info in the other thread.

I will buy a helmet as I have been wanting to road race for a while now.

Let the good times roll.

Sent from my iPhone
    Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Interesting ... earlier thread titled "First Post" ... found it after searching "road course" ... answered my question on helmet requirements.
    Last edited by Go2GuyFL; 05-20-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Warmest Regards!

Mark

PUR NRG
    2003 Mercury Marauder : Born 6/3/2002 : Adopted 5/30/2009 : #416 of 7838 Built & #416 of 7093 Black/Charcoal

PRR NRG
    2004 Mercury Marauder : Born 6/25/2004 : Adopted 12/26/2009 : #3206 of 3214 Built & #993 of 997 Silver Birch/Light Flint Silver Birch Society Member

Same mods for both = Reinhart tune : Kooks LTH & x-pipe : AT2525 mufflers : Magnaflow delete tips : K&N CAI : Autolite XP104 : Pro Guard : Federal 595-SS tires : BigCars4Ever Dead Pedal : Car Motorsports Gods Head emblems

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=79117

Said post.

SergntMac, great post in the begining of this thread. I have autocrossed with my MM and it is a BLAST. I had more fun talking with people after coming up to me saying" I can't believe how good the BIG car gets around" That to me was more fun than the course itself, well maybe almost as fun. Coming from a circle track background, and also racing my MM on a circle track, at a Spectator drag night at the local roundy round. I can say infadically, that road course racing or just plain old driving the course is too much fun to have with your clothes on. My .02

Guys the parade laps will be no chaarge. We will have a fee for the people that want to learn with the driving instructor. I will round up a few helmets for the people that do not have one. I am sure you will be able to have passengers on the parade laps. The track is about 2.5 miles so if you walk it you may need a nap afterwards. Charlie we can not answer rest of your questions yet! I also think everyone is reading more into this than you need to. The goal will be to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC]

Any word on the rest of the driving stuff yet? I was at Gingerman tonight and spoke to Josh, he said that the details still needed to be finished....
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    Any word on the rest of the driving stuff yet? I was at Gingerman tonight and spoke to Josh, he said that the details still needed to be finished....
    Josh called me today but I was out straight. I'll call him Monday. Hope you had fun!
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information