Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any advice on removing valve covers

Anyone have any advice on removing valve covers

Those of you who have removed the valve covers, how did you get the passenger side valve cover off???? There is no room between the valve cover and the heater core housing. I know it looks like a piece of cake but......there's just not enough clearance. Any input would be appreciated.
    2003 Marauder 300A built 10/15/02 CD changer/ storage organizer
    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6
    1989 Turbo Trans AM GTA Intercooled 3.8 V6 (20th anniv. pace car #197 of 1555) 1,400 original miles

The passenger side is REALLY a tight fit..you're right. If you are removing them to have them polished/powdercoated...that's not the big problem...it's putting that passenger side BACK on, trying not to scratch your new finish on it that is the REAL challenge.

Just ask BADMK8 , he'll tell you how much fun it is...

Total PITA!!!

ya gotta loosen the engine mounts,... then drop the transmission cross member... and tilt the engine until you get the clearence. It sucks! I'm glad I didn't do mine! But, I watched for 8 hours while the mechanics strugled with it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde
    Total PITA!!!

ya gotta loosen the engine mounts,... then drop the transmission cross member... and tilt the engine until you get the clearence. It sucks! I'm glad I didn't do mine! But, I watched for 8 hours while the mechanics strugled with it.

Tom
    Listen to Petro, he knows what he's talking about. The only thing he didn't mention was the 8 foot long pry bay. I was all set to do mine in the driveway when I had a conversation with Logan and he gave me the scoop. I had never in my life ever paid to have someone R&I a valve cover for me but this was the big exception.
    Ex Marauder owner,
    May 5th, 2003, March Bought new
    February 2007, Installed Trilogy,
    March 30th, 2011, sold to a great home.

Great car, great people, great times, wonderful memories.

Yep that's the correct 411.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Well, you guys are right I tried pulling the right valve cover off completely and I couldn't. The reason I'm doing this was to retorque camshaft bearing caps (to try to eliminate valve train chatter my Marauder has). Anyway, I managed to get the valve cover up high enough to get a torque wrench in there. Would you believe I found several bolts loose (six required several turns to get them to the proper torque).

I have not had time to do the driver's side. I see the wiper support is in the way. Other than that, can I remove this valve cover without any problems?
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6
    1989 Turbo Trans AM GTA Intercooled 3.8 V6 (20th anniv. pace car #197 of 1555) 1,400 original miles

Exclamation Valve Cover Removal

Some input on the valve covers, as todd said I've been lucky enough to do 2 sets of powercoated covers. first let mesay the second set is no better than the first , but i did get them both in about 3 hours . first romove the entire wiper cowl and motor it really isnt hard then youll have lots more room to , the drivers side isthe easy one just remove the throttle body you do need to also remove the 2 master cyl nuts and swing it out of the way. the pass side i moved the coolant tube from the rear that runs along the bottom of the valve cover dont need to disconnect any coolant lines . disconnect fuel line from rail and remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the sheild over the egr valve . then you should be able to wiggle it out . for the reinstall first , downa couple of michelob ultras you earned them. then i foundthe reinstall on the pass side was made easy by grinding down the small ear inside the valve cover at the rear. if you try to reinstall it youll see what i mean its non structural and it will make life better. there was no need this way to lift the car or mess with the crossmember. 2 sets of powercoated valve covers and no scratchs. my last word of advise is DONT TAKE THEM OFF , EVER .

Quote Originally Posted by BADMK8
    Some input on the valve covers, as todd said I've been lucky enough to do 2 sets of powercoated covers. first let mesay the second set is no better than the first , but i did get them both in about 3 hours . first romove the entire wiper cowl and motor it really isnt hard then youll have lots more room to , the drivers side isthe easy one just remove the throttle body you do need to also remove the 2 master cyl nuts and swing it out of the way. the pass side i moved the coolant tube from the rear that runs along the bottom of the valve cover dont need to disconnect any coolant lines . disconnect fuel line from rail and remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the sheild over the egr valve . then you should be able to wiggle it out . for the reinstall first , downa couple of michelob ultras you earned them. then i foundthe reinstall on the pass side was made easy by grinding down the small ear inside the valve cover at the rear. if you try to reinstall it youll see what i mean its non structural and it will make life better. there was no need this way to lift the car or mess with the crossmember. 2 sets of powercoated valve covers and no scratchs. my last word of advise is DONT TAKE THEM OFF , EVER .
    Or if given the choice of being kicked in the nuts or putting on the valve covers take the kick!

Hey Guys...

Did I tell you I decided to go back to my old valve covers....

i called no backsies, its a Ford term...

Quote Originally Posted by BADMK8
    i called no backsies, its a Ford term...
    Hey,.....since Todd's gonna go back to his original covers......you can put his powder coated ones on my car!!!!!
    ~~MARAUDERCHICK~~
    ~~~~~Kathy~~~~~
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A / Black /25% tint in front and 15% tint in back/ Born : August 16, 2002/ Adopted: December 26, 2002/ 6-disk CD changer/ Trunk organizer/ Diablo chip/ Denso plugs/ 180 degree thermostat/ Addco Rear sway bar/ FMS 4.10 gears/ Steeda Under drive pulleys/ K&N filter/ Royal Purple 5w20 synthetic/ Sylvania Silverstars: headlamps, fogs & turn signals/ hi-flow cats, ported/ceramic coated Cobra manifolds, and X-pipe/ 18" Stainless Steel Magnaflow mufflers/Kenny Brown dead pedal/ Eibach springs/ Polished aluminum "Marauder" pedals by Dyno-Pro/Meziere Electric Waterpump/ Baer Brake System: 14" drilled & slotted front rotors, polished caliper's with red letters/ Enhanced 11" rear rotor drilled & slotted / Kenny Brown Stainless steel braided brake lines / Metco Control Arms
    CHRISTMAS WISH LIST: TRILOGY KIT# ?????

Valve covers on the MM look like cake to doing them on a 97 Cobra...now that is a kick-to-the-groin job. The sad part was the only reason they had to come out was for the seals for the spark plugs.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A Built on 6/20/2002
    #1777 of 7839

Badmk8, how did clear the heater core housing for the passenger side valve cover? I tried everything to snake it past the heater core housing and finally just gave up. I even thought about taking it apart and removing it but decided not to.

Yes you guys are right, I'd rather get kicked in the .......
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6

right side valve cover

the reason i said to remove the bracket around the egr is you will need to roll the valve cover up towards the intake manifold, and if you dont want scratchs on it wrap a rag around the fuel rail port which you previously disconnected . with some tlc or a prybar it should come out with no damage. just remember about the part of inside lug you need to gring down some if you want it to go back in. if your not sure of what im saying you will be when you try to reinstall it. you can take it back off and youll see the marks inside the cover where its hitting the rear cam cap.

p.s. dont forget the beer, it could really help

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    Hey Guys...

Did I tell you I decided to go back to my old valve covers....

Well,.. Todd,... your 'old' covers are blue now,... and I don't really want to take them off again so....

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information