Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Cobra Engine + Whipple Planned for Marauder Install

Cool 2004 Cobra Engine + Whipple Planned for Marauder Install

My dad purchased this beauty and we are planning to put it into his NA Marauder this coming winter. It is a complete `04 Cobra pull from Davenport with 44,000 on the odometer, we skipped getting the Tremec with it because we will be sticking with an auto.

It has a 2.3L Whipple with 3.50 stock pulley (we plan to swap), 60# injectors, and dual Cobra fuel pumps.

Dad already has a full Kooks exhaust system and will be getting a transmission built as well. He is converting the dual Cobra fuel pump assembly for the Marauder and will be adding a 40A BAP to power it. With this we are anticipating a ~600HP Marauder.

Some things we are still trying to figure out are the wiring harnesses. Since the Cobra parts are completely assembled and working, we want to keep it together and refrain from swapping out with Marauder parts. This presents problems as many of the plugs are moved on the Cobra motor compared to the Marauder.

We will be running the Marauder ECU and with Pro Racer the tuning shouldn't be much of a problem. As usual I plan to be snapping lots of pictures along the way when we do the installs! Stay tuned...

Sex on wheels. Looking forward to seeing the build!
    The Black Pearl & White Lightning

Looks good. With the 2.3, it looks awesome. Should make mid 500s to the wheels, but the torque will be amazing.

Couple things to think about/plan for: (1) you need to use the Marauder oil pan and oil pick up tube because of the front crossmember; (2) you either need to use a marauder/mach 1 timing cover with the eaton swap brackets or notch the frame to clear the alternator on the termi motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Black&Gifted View Post
    Couple things to think about/plan for: (1) you need to use the Marauder oil pan and oil pick up tube because of the front crossmember; (2) you either need to use a marauder/mach 1 timing cover with the eaton swap brackets or notch the frame to clear the alternator on the termi motor.
    We will be notching the frame and are also replacing the oil pan.

Great advice, please keep it coming!!!

EDIT: we are NOT notching the frame, we relocated the alternator.
    Last edited by JoeBoomz; 08-13-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: EDIT: we are not notching the frame, we relocated the alternator.

Another couple items came to mind LOL:

8 bolt flexplate. Still trying to locate one myself.

Coolant crossover tube - either modify the stock marauder COT or use a different radiator with the inlet on the passenger side (marauder inlet is on the drivers side). I don't know enough about the cooling system to say whether you'd be ok with just running a longer radiator hose would work, and if so how efficiently it would work.

Coolant crossover tube - either modify the stock marauder COT or use a different radiator with the inlet on the passenger side (marauder inlet is on the drivers side). I don't know enough about the cooling system to say whether you'd be ok with just running a longer radiator hose would work, and if so how efficiently it would work.
    We had a link somewhere for the flex plate to buy online but haven't done it yet. When and if it works I'll let you know from where.

For the rad we will probably get a large cobra rad to install.

Awesome stuff keep it coming!

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBoomz View Post
    My dad purchased this beauty and we are planning to put it into his NA Marauder this coming winter. It is a complete `04 Cobra pull from Davenport with 44,000 on the odometer, we skipped getting the Tremec with it because we will be sticking with an auto.

It has a 2.3L Whipple with 3.50 stock pulley (we plan to swap), 60# injectors, and dual Cobra fuel pumps.

Dad already has a full Kooks exhaust system and will be getting a transmission built as well. He is converting the dual Cobra fuel pump assembly for the Marauder and will be adding a 40A BAP to power it. With this we are anticipating a ~600HP Marauder.

Some things we are still trying to figure out are the wiring harnesses. Since the Cobra parts are completely assembled and working, we want to keep it together and refrain from swapping out with Marauder parts. This presents problems as many of the plugs are moved on the Cobra motor compared to the Marauder.

We will be running the Marauder ECU and with Pro Racer the tuning shouldn't be much of a problem. As usual I plan to be snapping lots of pictures along the way when we do the installs! Stay tuned...

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

We did this in mine earlier this year. Just an FYI. I'm running a stock size lower and had to drop the upper down to a 2.75 to keep under a stock hood. That put us at 18lbs of boost which is right where I wanted to be. We also had to trim the cross member under the hood to fit down over the Whipple and carve out a squared off section of the hood liner. I'll post up a pict later on. I can't wait to see this final project!! Good luck and if you need anything please feel free to ask.

Here are some picts. We also had some belt slip so we redisigned the S/C pulley drive and added more pulleys. NO MORE SLIP!

Quote Originally Posted by CWright View Post
    Here are some picts. We also had some belt slip so we redisigned the S/C pulley drive and added more pulleys. NO MORE SLIP!
    GORGEOUS, absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for posting this CWright, your engine and blower looks completely at home in your Marauder and you guys have done a job that looks like it came from the factory!

It looks like the belt tensioners/idlers are setup a bit differently between our two engines; I don't think we'll be seeing any slippage issues with what we've currently got. I see you kept the battery under the hood, was the air intake tubing custom fabbed or did you find a kit that fit the Marauder nicely?

Jesus that's clean, has it ever been cranked?

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

......and THAT is how the Marauder SHOULD have come from Mercury! Or at least had the option anyway....

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBoomz View Post
    GORGEOUS, absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for posting this CWright, your engine and blower looks completely at home in your Marauder and you guys have done a job that looks like it came from the factory!

It looks like the belt tensioners/idlers are setup a bit differently between our two engines; I don't think we'll be seeing any slippage issues with what we've currently got. I see you kept the battery under the hood, was the air intake tubing custom fabbed or did you find a kit that fit the Marauder nicely?
    Thanks man! I did notice our belt set up is a little different on the S/C. Brandon at Mo's Speed Shop (Martyo) fabbed up the intake tube and I was very impressed. He said he could make more if anyone was interested. He can take the mearsurements off of mine if needed. I did want to keep the Battery under the hood to keep from having to run big guage wire to the trunk. It was much easier to move some other things around. If you need any info I'll be more than happy to help or get you an answer. Good luck with your build!

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    Jesus that's clean, has it ever been cranked?

Quote Originally Posted by DEFYANT View Post
    ......and THAT is how the Marauder SHOULD have come from Mercury! Or at least had the option anyway....

+1 ^^^

IMO battery in trunk has given alot of room fora I/C ice/coolant resv box or other items. 600 rwhp is a little hopeful! Iam pushing 20lbs boost w/ low comp Alluminator & see my#'s in sig. I would do cams will you got the motor out also again IMO. The other thing you may consider is swapping out the plenum for a S/B TB & plenum that alone will gain you at least 30ish more to the rear tires. To each there own but if it were mean I would get the brkts from terry so I could retain the MM timing cover. Then changfe over to MM oil pan & p/u tube, doing this stuff will allow for fitment with no frame notching Which is a fairly big job. As for fuel You may want to keep in mind just going full return style one thing I didnt do but really regret Also if you stay returnless you will probably run out of fuel with 2 cobra pumps maybe/maybe not? Anyhow best of luck on the job you will truly enjoy the finish product. Feel free to PM me with any questions Having gone thru this myself over a year ago I may be able to help.... Look foward to seeing it when done.

04 SB-- Alluminator/2.3 Whipple 20lbs boost, 545RWHP/556RWTQ sold!!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue-My New Baby!

03 300A- Vortech S-trim A2A 500 RWHP -Sold

03 Marauder KB-S #7- R.I.P.Bought new 06-02
    sent to KB 1-03 #7 but it was the 3rd one they did

Another couple items came to mind LOL:

As for the COT the best way would do like Zack had posted on Chicago garage. he pulled that info from mach1 registry, looks much cleaner doing that way. As for wiring harness personally I would keep the MM harness myself , using the Cobra could cause some unesc work.

04 SB-- Alluminator/2.3 Whipple 20lbs boost, 545RWHP/556RWTQ sold!!

2012 Mustang GT Kona Blue-My New Baby!

03 300A- Vortech S-trim A2A 500 RWHP -Sold

03 Marauder KB-S #7- R.I.P.Bought new 06-02
    sent to KB 1-03 #7 but it was the 3rd one they did

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread Information