Thread: XM direct connection to OEM radio

XM direct connection to OEM radio

XM COMMANDER and PRECISION INTERFACE ELECTRONICS allow this direct connection without going through fm modulation for superior sound quality. The new XM COMMANDER has RCA outputs while the PRECISION INTERFACE ELECTRONICS adapter connects at the rear of the vehicle in the trunk at the 12 pin data cable for the factory cd changer and converts it to RCA inputs WHICH IT WILL RECEIVE FROM THE XM COMMANDER

Quote Originally Posted by joflewbyu2@aol.
    XM COMMANDER and PRECISION INTERFACE ELECTRONICS allow this direct connection without going through fm modulation for superior sound quality. The new XM COMMANDER has RCA outputs while the PRECISION INTERFACE ELECTRONICS adapter connects at the rear of the vehicle in the trunk at the 12 pin data cable for the factory cd changer and converts it to RCA inputs WHICH IT WILL RECEIVE FROM THE XM COMMANDER
    Have seen PIE 8-10 pin adapters…. Is the 12 pin compatible, a new item …

If so, do you have part # and retail source….
    Where did you mount your display/controller….
    R Dean

"Forget the Ricers, I keep up with mercurymarauder.net"

"Always remember you're unique, just like other Marauders"

I just bought the XM Commander tonight. What part do I need to connect with the RCA outputs?

Is this it?

Yes, that is it Todd.

(FRDW-AUX) DPXTM Digital Auxiliary Input Converters are designed to convert the CD changer port of the OEM Radio (With CD Changer Controls) into auxiliary input. Devices such as XM Satellite Radio, DVD, VCP MP3 and Game Systems can now be added to the OEM radio without FM Modulation. $99 at your professional stereo dealer. willing to sell 1 new set of the xm commander and the adapter for $215. e-mail me at joflewbyu2@aol.com if interested.
    2003 - black w/ dark charcoal 300a. polished full size spare, carpeted lid trunk organizer - 2w7z-54115a00-aa, black rear spoiler - 2w7z-5444210-aab, matte black door edge guards - yw7z-5420910-ba, all weather molded vinyl black floor mats - 1w7z-5413086-ha (front) & 1w4z-5413106-ca (rear), Gorilla spline drive chrome plated locking lug nuts, Kenwood kfc-6808c 6x8 3-way speakers in front & rear, Kenwood kfc-1705 6.75" subwoofer, Clarion Proaudio DXZ-835 CD receiver, Clarion Proaudio DCZ 6-disc CD changer, Clarion SIRCL Sirius satellite radio tuner, Superchips tuner, Borla cat back exhaust, SVO rear girdle (T/A performance) & stud kit, Dynotech MMC racing driveshaft, B&M 3 quart+ aluminum finned tranny pan.

Quote Originally Posted by DONP1217
    I just bought the XM Commander tonight. What part do I need to connect with the RCA outputs?
    Look at PIE's web site

http://www.pie.net/

They have two different systems. One connects the XM Commander directly into the wiring system of the CD Changer, but you lose the CD changer. When you want to play the XM Commander, you switch to the changer, your head unit reads CD Track 1, and you hear the XM radio. This would blow if you had a changer, but those of us without CD Changers could use this to connect directly to the OEM head unit.

The other unit is a switcher that allows you to connect three RCA inputs in line with the CD changer. A controller allows you to select from the three auxiliary inputs, or the CD changer. This may be the ticket, because you could add an XM Commander, an MP3 player, whatever. Downside is that you have to run a wire to the switch, but then you have to run a wire from the XM Commander tuner to the controller on the dash anyway.
    Last edited by Donny Carlson; 02-14-2004 at 12:33 AM.

The PIE X3 interface is a bit pricey, considering you have to buy an adapter harness too. Looks like it will set you back a bit over $100 for the harness and the interface.

I'd like to run an Ipod or maybe one of those Dell Digital Jukeboxes (see image of the DJ20, which is on sale for $249 now) to one of the auxilary inputs. Dell offers a mount that fits into the cup holders, but I don't think they have a car mount with RCA outputs. They do have one for home use, but I don't know if it is suitable. Ipods, I know little about and can only guess at what is available for car use.

The attractive part of this idea is ease of downloading MP3's into the DJ15 or DJ20 (or Ipod), plopping it into a car holder, then being able to take it with you inside to listen using headphones.
    Last edited by Donny Carlson; 04-02-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Thread Information