Thread: need some advice

need some advice

i know im kinda new here and ask alot of seemingly stupid questions
    but ive had a opportunity to buy a complete 03 cobra engine trans and harness for a seemingly impossibly cheep deal (2500)
    is it worth it to do the entire swap into my mm or just swap the blower stuff over and leave my existing shortblock in the car
    im sure others have done this before just wondering what u guys think
    was also thinking that since i have very limited time to work on my cars that i would give someone the shortblock and trans and harness basically whatever is not needed from the donor engine to do the swap
    i think its kind of a win win for everyone if it all works out
    Last edited by jdiding; 06-25-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    03 black mm cold air, tune,
    90 supercoupe ported blower, 25% overdrive,cam,heads, 60lb injectors, tuned 366 hp 451 ft lbs on a 40 shot of no2

Quote Originally Posted by jdiding View Post
    i know im kinda new here and ask alot of seemingly stupid questions
    but ive had a opportunity to buy a complete 03 cobra engine trans and harness for a seemingly impossibly cheep deal (2500)
    is it worth it to do the entire swap into my mm or just swap the blower stuff over and leave my existing shortblock in the car
    im sure others have done this before just wondering what u guys think
    was also thinking that since i have very limited time to work on my cars that i would give someone the shortblock and trans and harness basically whatever is not needed from the donor engine to do the swap
    i think its kind of a win win for everyone if it all works out
    $2,500 for the complete engine; blower and all?

Go for it and don't look back! Blower parts alone would cost you around 3 grand if you bought them up separately.

Toss up on the shortblock, IMO. If you plan on staying around 450 rwhp or less, the stock shortblock will do fine.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Sounds like a good deal. How many miles on the cobra engine & trans ?
    You can take the best of each for one build & sell the rest & come out clean.
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

As SC Cheesehead said, buy it and don't look back. If you just wanted the blower stuff, you could easily sell the remainder (i.e., as a longblock or broken down into a short block and complete heads, the trans) for about as much as you paid for it in a fire sale.

The longblocks alone is around $6500, or $4400 if you have an 03-04 cobra core to return.

The 03-04 cobra engines is one of the best engines Ford made for and put into a production car and are very coveted.

the entire setup throttle body to oil pan all accessories everything. the engine only has around 35 miles on it the engine was built installed tuned and the car was rear ended on the guys way home from the shop by a young kid in a honda( go figure!!)
    its has a bunch of high dollar parts on it from accufab, kenne bell, billetflow, thump racing, metco and way more
    they guy got pissed off when it got wrecked last summer had it towed to his garage and its been sitting ever since his last dyno sheet was 671/714 on boost alone
    id like to just swap the entire engine in the car as it is but i would want to keep my harness and computor in the car and just have it retuned
    is that my best bet or am i going backwards wanting to just pull the blower parts off and put them on my existing engine and put a pair a badass intank pumps in my car

i am going to look the engine over more today hopefully and he is supposed to get me all the recipts so i can see what im looking at, he kept saying something about carillo and eagle but did not know many specifics about it (older guy with lots of money)
    Last edited by jdiding; 06-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    90 supercoupe ported blower, 25% overdrive,cam,heads, 60lb injectors, tuned 366 hp 451 ft lbs on a 40 shot of no2

At those power levels the stock Marauder engine won't do, you will have to swap the complete thing out for the Cobra cast iron engine. The swap is entirely possible with some tweaks.

You will also need to upgrade fuel delivery for those power levels. See if you can get his fuel pump and other upgrades with it to fuel it properly.

$2500 is a steal for all of that, take it and run!

i was planning on trying to get his fuel system with it i figure if i can get it all for 2500 bucks sell my stock engine and do the swap id be out minimal cash in the end and have a hella fast marauder and a total sleeper

I don't know why you wouldn't go with the cobra motor BUT if you don't, I have a place for it ...seriously lol
    '03 MM 300A
    Bought from and Tuned by Zack
    4.10 Gears, Rear Sway Bar, Dynotech Driveshaft
    Art Carr Trans, Rear Cooling Mod,Scanguage II
    Kooks Headers w/ 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
    HID fog & headlights, JLT CAI

Quote Originally Posted by MdRider88 View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't go with the cobra motor BUT if you don't, I have a place for it ...seriously lol

Line forms on the right.... ------->

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiding View Post
    the entire setup throttle body to oil pan all accessories everything......

its has a bunch of high dollar parts on it from accufab, kenne bell, billetflow, thump racing, metco and way more.....

he kept saying something about carillo and eagle but did not know many specifics about it (older guy with lots of money).....
    from the dyno numbers you posted, it looks to be one of the bigger KBs (2.6 or 2.8H). I also wonder in if the heads are ported and has aftermarket cams.

End of the day: buy it and don't look back. If you are unhappy with the purchase, you could easily sell everything on it for WAY more than you say the guy is asking for it. If you go on SVT-P, you can get a sense of what the bigger KBs are going for. Literally, at that price, it is highway robbery.

Eagle is likely the rods and maybe even the crank: http://www.eaglerod.com/

carillo is likely the pistons:
    http://www.cp-carrillo.com/Segments/...3/Default.aspx

I could not get with him today due to my work (truck mechanic) but i talked to him and he said i could have what i want from the car sooo. U gonna grab the pumps lines regulator and anything i can the engine and trans are out already.
    Im getting pretty jazzed about it the thiught of a streetable 600 hp driver that i dont have a small fortune invested in and if i want can turn the wick wayyyy up in the future

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Buy it for 2500, and I will give you 3500 for it! You just made a grand!
    Black 2003 Marauder-JLT cai, Flomaster super 44 swap
    Black 2007 Ford Edge AWD- Wife's ride

go for it all it is a better place to start then a non forged internal 4.6

waiting to be blown
    You can run all your life but not go anywhere
    positive manifold pressure leads to coitus

my only real concern is that i already have a race car and dont need another lol i was just thinking of pulling the blower stuff off and selling the rest of it and putting it on my engine since i dont really need 600hp for a daily driver do i want it hell yes but its far beyond whats usefull in a daily driver i think 400-450 hp is plenty and figuring 500 plus ft lbs
    anyone interested in the long block and trans and harness

it is easier to have the guts so if you want to go up than to have a weaker lower end and need to go up
    "overkill is underrated"

waiting to be blown
    You can run all your life but not go anywhere
    positive manifold pressure leads to coitus

Thread Information