Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Number

Vehicle Number

How can I find out what vehicle number my MM is? I think I got one of the first ones.
    03 Mercury Marauder 300A
    - Built 8-19-02
    - MM Jacket
    - Reinhart Chip, Plugs and
    180 Thermostat
    - 4.10 Gears
    - Bob White Decals (Ruby Red Reflective)
    - Trunk Organizer (Clear Tops)
    - KB dead pedal
    - God's Head Front & Rear Badging

Hey Capt...

The last 6 digits of your VIN may be telling. LM started a new VIN sequence with the MM, exactly why I don't know. While others here argue that this car is nothing more than a GM with the "300B" trim package, it does have it's own VIN, unlikely if they are right. Anyway, I'm told that all MM VINs should begin with 2MEHM75V83X...

Way I hear it, (from more than one source) is this "prefix" is our standardized vehicle description, because all MMs are the same (for now). The "3" before the "X" indicates the '03 year and the "X" is the "version" number (think software?) The last 6 numbers is the sequential production number, starting with MM "60000".

If this is true, I have MM #818, and that seems to jibe with transport/delivery/availability dates I've traced. My MM was a factory demonstrator, visiting dealers in May, '03 to introduce the sales staff to MM selling points. I've spoken with five salesmen at 3 dealers who once drove my MM in a "factory training program."

Training...right...like what..."hold on, pal, watch this...?" Would love to see them drive it today...LOL

Anyway, I'm also told this "prefix" may change slightly. Califormia cars with emission sensitive tuning (meaning no 93 octane) may affect one of the digits in the prefix, perhaps the "X" following the "3" will be a "Z" or something like that. Also, once a factory installed sun roof and different paints are decided upon and released, another digit or two of the prefix may reflect that. Nonetheless, I'm confident that the last six digits of the VIN may be exactly what you are looking for.

Hey, how's your "jolt"? Things gas pedal related smoothing out?

Nope. Marauder does share sequential vin's with the other panther's produced at St. Thomas. There's no way of knowing what build number your vehicle is. Mercury has not, and to my knowledge is not releasing build numbers.

Your production number is also located inside your fuel door on the tire pressure & tire size sticker.
    2003 (#867 of #7839) 300A Marauder
    #23 MercuryMarauder.net member
    6/7/02 Build Date
    6/17/02 Purchased
    IL Plate MARAWDR
    35%Tint All Around
    Z&M Control Arms
    Real AutoMeter Oil Gauge
    Marauder Hats in rear window
    Rear Bumper Gray Decals
    Trunk Organizer
    OEM Frt Splash Guards
    ProGuard
    Weathershield Marauder Cover
    2XL Marader Jacket
    McGard Wheel Locks
    Marauder Billet Pedals
    Marauder Door Sills
    Denso Plugs IT20's
    8/3/03 Dyno 260.4 RWHP/291.3 Torque

Damn... wish I had my car to verify! This sucks...

Captdavid,

Only Ford SVT's, and some special editions like the "Bullit" Mustang have a build sequence number assigned to them. That is part of the "Exclusiveness" of a SVT..... My 01 Cobra was number 584 of 3384. I was sent a Certificate with this info at the end of the 01 run by SVT...

The MM VIN, as Logan stated, is mixed in with the other Panthers... BTW the MM is body code M75 which is a Grand Marquis LS. Option Code 300B makes it a Marauder... To check it out go to this link.. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...t=order+guides and look at the MM ordering guide and then the GM guide...it will explain the body code M75 which isn't defined in the MM guide.. this thread covers some of it as well.. http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ht=Engine+Code

If you do a search on the site you will find the only "Marauder" specific number in the VIN is the eight digit engine code position... If I remember correctly some people on this site had their titles issued as GMs due to the M75 body code.. my insurance company thinks it is a GM as well..

VIN Differences:

Originally posted by Brian
    The only sure VIN difference between a 2003 Grand Marquis LS and a 2003 Marauder is in the 8th position (engine).

W = 4.6L SOHC
    V = 4.6L DOHC

There is also the possibility of a difference in the 4th position (restraint type).

All Marauders are H.
    Grand Marquis can be H or F, depending on option content.

H = Dual Front air bags plus front Side air bags (std on Marauder)
    F = Dual Front air bags
    Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion...

SergtMac,

Check out the links....they may answer some of your questions....
    Wayne

Yeah, I was kinda bummed by this as well. My VIN ends in 647464 which means nothing to me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't one of the first made, though. Came to the dealer late in the year and no full size spare.

Oh well.
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

Taking on the boss here, but he seems a fair guy.

Logan...Not sure what you're saying "nope" to, but if I read a 2MEHM75V83X VIN prefix from the dash of a CV or GM, I'd buy that car as a "one-of-a-kind" production line goof, (ala miss-minted coins) or, seize it as a counterfit VIN.

As for the production suffix, the MMs rolled out with in the low 60000 on 13 May, 02. Could two cars share an identical suffix? You bet. I'm sure there is a GM or CV out there with the same last six digits as my MM, maybe even an Impala SS too, but not with a matching prefix. The prefix is unique to the MM, period. Maybe the VIN isn't an official "build" number, but it's a hint and maybe what the Capt. was looking for?

I respectfully agree that production line "broadcast" sheets have their own sequential control numbers that some could say, is a "build" number. And, I respectfully agree that brodcast sheets are shared across the spectrum of platforms at the St. Thomas production line, so, sequential sheets may control different cars. But, broadcast sheets are internal control, and as the car moves down the line, a sequential VIN is created and attached.

Now, I don't like to "presume" things, but truthfully, I don't really know. So, I presume that VINs become assigned in sequence because the cars are produced in sequence. Logical, yes, but I can't say for sure. Of course, LM may have made an effort to insure a random suffix, but that rubs against the grain of efficiency in a production line process too, so, is it just as reasonable to presume random assignment?

Nope.

I think the point here is:
    my VIN ends with 647464
    a normal GM could be 647465 (with a different prefix of course)
    and your MM could be 647466
    etc., etc.

So, maybe you could tell which ones came early or late, but not first, last - unless they were all in a registry...
    04 Marauder 300A - Dark Toreador Red - STOCK - 1 of 980
    Build date: 11/17/2003 - Delivered: 03/24/2004
    Heated Seats - CD Changer - Trunk Org. - SS Inserts - JLT CAI - McGard Locks
    Gone but not forgotten...
    03 Marauder 300A - Black

Thanks '03!

I've read these order guides, and I see the M74/M75 body distinctions you point too. I agree the body codes are shared, and it does appear that the MM is just a trim package. Maybe that's why I'm wondering all of this again? But, tell me this, '03, why did LM publish a separate guide for a car that's only a trim package? Maybe because LM identifies the MM is a model all it's own?

I base my position on publications of statements from LM executives, as quoted in popular magazines. They are available in the "comparasion" links at www.mercuryvehicles.com. If you visit, please note that the Marauder is listed separately from other models, including the GM.

I agree that when we purchased our cars, some dealers were as confused as we are now, and some could care less. However, in their own publications, LM acknowledges that although the MM has "relatives," they clearly intend this car to be a model all it's own. Evidence of that is at LMs web site, what more can I go on?

I think that the Marauder is almost a "step child" of sorts. Mercury sells it as a seperate line, markets (what little it does) it as a seperate line, treats it as a completly seperate vehical from the GM, but FoMoCo treats it as a GM upgrade. I say this because there is no seperate entry in there sales figure for Mercury.

We know it's a special and gifted child, but its own blood bearly aknoledges it. A shame really.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Different prefix

It was mentioned above that the Marauder prefix should be"2MEHM75V83X" with numerical suffix.

My prefix is different----- 2MEHM75V33X.

Those in the know------any significance?

I agree with your "step-child" analogy... In the case of the Mustang Cobra Ford saw fit to give both the Cobra Hard Top and Convertible seperate body codes from the "regular" Mustangs. The VIN will immeadiately tell you it is a Cobra not a Mustang.. However, the special edition "Bullit" was a regular code hard top... BTW Ford published a seperate brochure and marketing info on the Bullit as well..

If you look back to the heyday of muscle cars in the 60's the majority stated as options on "regular" cars and then became truly seperate lines when volume was sufficient...then when the sales dropped the car became a option package again... The Pontiac GTO is a classic example of this approach.. or the GTX and Road Runner... so if sales pick up we may see the MM become a seperate line, with a unique body code...or continue to be a very extensive option package.

The good news is Ford Credits ads for 0.0% financing all have a small print disclaimer exempting the the 03 SVT product line and this years Mach1 Mustang.. and we are seeing discounts and good financing.. without waiting for the end of the model year... and in reality it's just trivia anyway... frankly I like my "Grand Marquis with an Attitude" regardless of it's parentage or codes..
    Wayne

Macon, EXACTLY.

SergntMac, the VIN prefix really has nothing to do with the conversation. The question is if you can determine your build number based on your VIN. The answer is an unequivical no.

Like Macon said, your marauder may have a sequential vin of 647464, there may be 6 grand marquis's rolling down the line after you and then another marauder, 647474...

So based on that, there's no way to determine in what order yours was built. We simply don't have access to the data that would be required to determine build numbers.

piglet Guest

Piglets Numbers

Gents,

My number ends with 641998. Which mean 100% of nothing to me. Mercury has too many other concerns (ie the company is in the *****er) to have foresight about a special VIN for us motor heads.

Anyone got a number lower?

Best-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information