Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entitled people of Washington State

Thumbs down Entitled people of Washington State

I've been a lot of places, I've lived in all 4 corners of the US, but never have I dealt with such sense of entitlement as I see here in Washington.

I get flipped off, honked at, or have brights flashed at me on a nearly daily basis. While I tend to be a more assertive driver, I am by no means an aggressive driver. I'm usually that guy who lets people in, the guy who gets over for those who want to drive faster than me, etc. However, I usually end up being the guy driving faster than everyone else.

What made me post this is the short experience that happened today. It happens on a very regular basis, I just felt like putting something up about it today.

I was driving along home from work on a 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes each side) and after merging on, I get over to the inside lane to pass a group of cars. I am doing 55 in a 50 to pass these cars, and the one at the rear of the pack is a blue Mini Cooper. As I pass the car, the female driver has her middle finger in the window motioning it as if flagging me forward and saying "Go! Go!". In other words, she was expressing her opinion about me passing the group. Previous to the passing, I had zero interaction with this vehicle. I used my signal to move into the left lane, she was already ahead of me when I entered the highway.

So, being the curious fellow that I am, I slow down to pace her for a while. She follows with another finger and another more lewd gesture. Not once did she look over after I passed her then slowed down to pace. I paced her for about a quarter mile then went on about my drive home.

I also get these reactions a lot for trailing someone who sits in the left lane. I don't like passing in the right, it's not safe. My solution is to stay behind them and stagger my car so the headlights are in their mirror. They aren't terribly bright, so it isn't blinding them, but it's enough to be an annoyance until they get over. Many times I will be flipped off or have brights flashed at me for inconveniencing them.

Things like this don't really make me mad. It's more entertaining than anything, and it totally blows me away that people here have such a sense of entitlement. I always think, "I'm glad they did this to me, and not someone else." Road rage is pretty commonplace these days, people should be careful, you never know who you're going to piss off.

I'm sorry for driving on your road.
    The Black Pearl & White Lightning

Blog Entries
    Years ago while driving with an older friend he said relax or you wiLl die young from sickness. Turn up the stereo, tune in to the music and tune out the aholes.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I also get these reactions a lot for trailing someone who sits in the left lane. I don't like passing in the right, it's not safe. My solution is to stay behind them and stagger my car so the headlights are in their mirror. They aren't terribly bright, so it isn't blinding them, but it's enough to be an annoyance until they get over. Many times I will be flipped off or have brights flashed at me for inconveniencing them.

Things like this don't really make me mad. It's more entertaining than anything, and it totally blows me away that people here have such a sense of entitlement. I always think, "I'm glad they did this to me, and not someone else." Road rage is pretty commonplace these days, people should be careful, you never know who you're going to piss off.

I'm sorry for driving on your road.

People usually get mad at people for breaking the 'rules' of driving that they made up themselves. It's the law! No passing on the right, and you MUST yield the left lane to passing vehicles.

My favourite are the ones who won't get out of the left lane because they hate people who can't 'choose' a lane and stick to it. Which law was that again? lol
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Ive been to Washington state twice and they are by far the slowest drivers in the US.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

Someone flipped me off the other day. I had passed them (2 lane each way) -as they going slower than the rest but they left their finger up way to long, so I paced right beside them. It was the boyfirend of the girl driving. Then at the next light I got out and knocked hard on the glass of his passenger window. Guy had a look of horror on his face and didn't say anything. This technique can work wonders...
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Change the badges on your Marauder so that they say "Prius XL" and I bet your problem goes away.

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

I hate most people.

We should fill in pot holes with them.

Sent from my iPhone
    Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Be careful...Still have that warrant out for me..... whenever I told that "Person" that they must of gotten their DL from a Crackerjacks box as they sure didnt know how to drive (their actions were reckless endangerment level of STUPID) local leos sided with the 25 yr old redhead...I guess a fat man ,in shorts and a t-shirt,in wallyworlds parking lot can be intimidating....

Must be something in the water over there, I've found most people in WA are less likely to do such things than in many of the places I've traveled.

People in Europe will "kill themselves" trying to get out of your way. As will I. (Keep right except to pass?) Most people do not have the concept of "other people" and will sit in the left lane doing 60 in a 65 zone which makes me want to pit maneuver them.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Blog Entries
    Whenever they flip me the Bird I reply with the Peace Sign, the decent folk apologize by giving me the peace sign back, the others just get madder!
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

It's all in your approach...you CAN control how most people respond to you on the road. I become immediately annoyed by tailgaters, people zooming up behind me or making constant lane changes, all of which I translate into one word.....which starts with A *******.

Disclaimer: IF you are driving a Marauder I welcome all of the above (and you can even cut me off) all of which I translate into one word.....which also starts with A, Awesome!
    Last edited by Ms. Denmark; 08-22-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    2004 Silver Birch

Silver Birch Society

"I hear and I Forget
    I see and I Remember
    I do and I Understand"

I'm usually a pretty considerate driver ie. let people merge in front of me, move to the right when not passing, don't get heated when people do stupid things. I haven't had any kind of ticket or accident for about 10 years. One time I was driving with my brother in-law in my Mustang, which is pretty loud I admit. I don't show my ass constantly though, like some do. I was just turning left along with another car (dual left turn lane) and this lady started going ballistic. She looked like she was screaming at me, and all I could do was laugh at how ridiculous she was being. I was driving about 3/4 of a car in front of her to the left and she kept pacing me, then caught up and forcefully pulled her cell phone out and acted like she was punching the buttons, hard. She was mouthing "9!!!! 1!!!! 1!!!!" and had this insanely angry look on her face. I was driving totally normally, hadn't cut her off or anything, wasn't speeding, etc.

All I could think about was how miserable this lady's life must be that she gets so worked up over a loud car driving normally, and how everyone in her life has to deal with her
    '03 Marauder #4539 300A Zack tune, Flowmasters

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I was driving along home from work on a 4 lane divided highway (2 lanes each side) and after merging on, I get over to the inside lane to pass a group of cars. I am doing 55 in a 50 to pass these cars, and the one at the rear of the pack is a blue Mini Cooper. As I pass the car, the female driver has her middle finger in the window motioning it as if flagging me forward and saying "Go! Go!". In other words, she was expressing her opinion about me passing the group. Previous to the passing, I had zero interaction with this vehicle. I used my signal to move into the left lane, she was already ahead of me when I entered the highway.

So, being the curious fellow that I am, I slow down to pace her for a while. She follows with another finger and another more lewd gesture. Not once did she look over after I passed her then slowed down to pace. I paced her for about a quarter mile then went on about my drive home.
    As I recall your a single guy so you should have given her the faux fellatio move back Perhaps your evening may have ended more happily.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    Someone flipped me off the other day. I had passed them (2 lane each way) -as they going slower than the rest but they left their finger up way to long, so I paced right beside them. It was the boyfirend of the girl driving. Then at the next light I got out and knocked hard on the glass of his passenger window. Guy had a look of horror on his face and didn't say anything. This technique can work wonders...
    It can also get you SHOT!!!!
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information