Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack and Pinion leaking

Rack and Pinion leaking

So I started my MM yesterday and heard the dreaded power steering squeal that you get when the fluid is low. I checked the fluid and it was empty so I went and got some fluid. Filled it up last night and by 4pm today it was half empty. So I took it up to the shop and put it on the lift and it turns out my rack is leaking. So I came home and called all my local auto parts places with no luck(none of them seem to stock it). Can someone on here lead me to a good place to purchase a new rack and pinion for a decent price??
    i aint gettin old, my style is wine..

RIP NICK AKA EMCE
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbillybbs View Post
    THANKS for the Advice,, this forum is the best thing that ever happened to me and my baby!!

I did a search on Ebay with a few results. I know the MM's have a variable assist. If it is specific to our cars then you'll likely be dealing with the dealership. I believe there are a few guys on here that work at Ford Dealers that could get you a decent price. Just make sure whatever you get is infact for the Marauder.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

ok.. thanks for the advice. This is the reason i want to deal with a local parts store and not order one from an online store. I had bad luck last time when i ordered my radiator, it turned out that there was two different model radiators for 2003 MM's. And i ended up with the wrong one.

RIP NICK AKA EMCE
    THANKS for the Advice,, this forum is the best thing that ever happened to me and my baby!!

I found this one http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ring_rack.html , but it doesn't say whether or not it has variable assist. But i fount the same part number on two websites that say its for a 2003 MM. Anyone have any advice for me? That one on partsgeek is the same as the first one on rockauto here.. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...dl0v1nuq5lnqu2

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

one more question.. is the variable assist power steering module attached to the rack? or can i take the one off the rack in my car that is bad and put it on the new rack i purchase? because none of the racks i am seeing online have that part on them or any place where that wire harness would plug into. its starting to confuse me just a little.

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

Just had to buy one..

The MM uses a unique rack due to the ratio of the gearing. Ford has re-manufactured units that list for $490. May be able to get it about $400-430 if the parts dept wants to be competitive. This is the complete unit with a new actuator installed, minus the outter tie rod ends (Not a bad time to get new ones it you have a lot of miles on the car).

Part # is: 3W1Z-3504-GARM (the RM suffix should mean re-manufactured). Also you need two new O-rings for the lines. Small one is part #N803256-S and the larger one is #N803257-S. These are really standard thin O-rings. No matter what anyone tells you, replace the O-rings or they will soon leak.

Buyer beware...The reman units sold by parts houses may or may not have the actuator installed. The actuator is a common spot for leaks by the way, along with the O-rings. Some parts houses are also listing the rack as fitting the MM but it is a standard CV/GM one. They will physically fit, but you get a different ratio in the gearing.

Also, make sure the rack is actually leaking. A lot of times, the O-rings and/or the actuator are the culprits. these can be serviced separate. Clean the area around the input shaft, actuator and pressure/return lines and look for a fresh leak there. If it's the input shaft, replace the rack, otherwise a it is lot cheaper to repair the two other leaks.

Quick notes on changing it. Block the steering wheel against the seat cushion with something (I use a large block of thick foam about a foot square) in the straight ahead position and don't allow it to more at all or you could damage the clock spring in the steering column. You can get the 10MM bolt out of the lower coupling from the top of the engine compartment and gently pry it off. Spread the opening on the coupling slightly and it will make re-install a lot easier. Measure the distance on each side from the center line of the mounting studs to the tabs on the outter tie rod knuckle and write it down. With the wheels straight ahead this usually is the same on both sides. This will help set the wheel alignment close enough to make the car driveable to the alignment shop. After removing the mounting bolts, remove the mounting studs as well, this will make the rack drop right out and back in. There is a 10MM bolt that holds the retainer on the pressure/return line hoses. The hoses then pull out of the rack. Lube the new O-rings and press the lines back in straight and re-install the retainer.

It's not that hard of a job. Just make sure you really need a whole new rack and not an actuator and/or O-rings.
    Last edited by vegasmarauder; 10-23-2012 at 04:09 AM.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Thank you for all this useful info!! It seems to be the rack. I put it up on the lift and it looks to be leaking from the side on the driver side of the rack inside the boot.. Id there an o-ring on that side that could be replaced or should i go ahead and replace the rack? 400-500 bucks is sounding pretty steep for me right now.. =\

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

I called my local dealership and they wast 483 for a reman rack and the guy said that it doesn't have the actuator installed on it.. And the ones i am looking at online have two diff part numbers for GM/CV racks and MM racks.. The GM/CV are A-1 cardone part number 22249 and the MM is A1-Cardone Part number 22270.. I wonder if they have the correct gearing in the 22270 one. But it still doesnt come with the EVO installed.. would have to swap the one off my bad rack.. idk what to do?!?!? Im thinking order the A-1 Cardone 22270 and pick up the O-rings From the dealership for the lines and the EVO. And Swap out the EVO. Im thinking if they have the same part number in the catalog for GM's and CV's and a different one for the MM and it says it only fits MM's then it should be the right part.. The word "should" is whats throwing me off here though..

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

Damn, I'm hoping my rack doesn't have issues. That is expensive!

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

i've had 2 replaced under extended warranty. very expensive. like $1200-$1300 from the dealer with labor.

The dealership parts guy is incorrect. The dealer book listing does not say anything about the Actuator being on it, but when I had my parts guy open the box and check, it is installed. It is a complete assembly minus the outter ends. Unless your dealer is ordering an aftermarket one and trying to pass it off as a Ford unit to make extra $$ (big no-no with Ford), the actuator is with it.

That $1200 is about right for a retail cost unit and labor for install, fluids and alignment. Which is why I end up doing it myself...

If the Cardone one is a different part number, it's a fair bet is the correct MM unit, but I would replace the actuator so you have to add that cost in vs Ford unit.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

good info

This is good info. Our cars are getting pretty old. I guess we should feel lucky to be able to buy a reman Ford unit for the bargain basement price of $499

That said, I am hearing mostly about leaks. What about wear and play "in the rack". We all like tight, new steering. It isn't always just the tie rods wearing out, right?

I am getting ready to spring for a front end rebuild. Occasionally she dives for the ditch under hard braking. And other symptoms. Time for a new front end.

Should I consider replacing the steering rack? Kind of hard to ID the location of the play - inner tie rod vs steering rack.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I just replaced one on a members car s couple weeks ago. "my guy" at Ford sold it to me for $370 IIRC. Leaking on the right side, seepage at the small end of the boot, removed the big end and took a shower in fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Okay. so i purchased the rack and pinion from partsgeek.com and just had my guy put it in. But when he went to take the EVA actuator off the old rack and pinion the nut that holds it on just broke into three pieces. ... So i went to ford today to order the actuator and the guy could not find a part number, we looked at the diagrams and they only show a part number for the whole rack and pinion assembly. Does anyone happen to know where i could buy just the actuator? or maybe have a part number that i could give the guy at ford?? You would def be a life saver! at this point its looking like im gonna have to pay my mechanic to swap out the new rack he put in with another new rack from ford and then try to get partsgeek.com to take back the rack i bought from them.. uhh.. this has turned into such a hassle.. PLEASE HELP ME!!

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

Does anyone know what the this part is called? Where i could get it? Or possibly a part number to give ford?? Please oh Please! I cant find any info about it and i have a new rack and pinion installed on my MM but cant find this part..

RIP NICK AKA EMCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information