Thread: performance questions

clutchfan Guest

performance questions

Hi,

I'd like to address a couple questions to those who drive their cars on a regular basis, as opposed to folks who have theirs in hibernation. (I must say, these things being new, I'm not convinced of their eventual collectibility, but that goes for just about any new or recently built car, excepting ZO6's or Vipers)

Anyway, I'd like to know what kind of MPG numbers people are getting. Also, is premium (91+) really required? These things aren't supercharged, and the CR isn't really all that high. GM doesn't require premium in their Series III S/C 3.8, literature says they run fine on regular, don't see why the 4.6 should either.

About performance, these things don't seem to be all that quick, from what I've read anyway. Are mid 15's really all they're good for stock? I know it isn't all about accelleration, these things are really freeway cruisers, but for the pricetag I'd expect for it to at least feel quick. During my test drives, I didn't really get on it, so I don't know. The HP and torque peaks do seem to be awfully high in the rpm band, is that a detriment at all?

Quote Originally Posted by clutchfan
    Anyway, I'd like to know what kind of MPG numbers people are getting. Also, is premium (91+) really required?
    24 MPG HWY / 16-18 CITY Pre 4:10 gears / 22 - 16 after.

Premium fuel >91 is required unless you are willing to allow the EEC to make timing adjustments and sacrifice horsepower.

Are mid 15's really all they're good for stock?
    I have seen stock MM's run under 15 with the right conditions.
    Allow some time for your car to break in and reach a certain 'maturity level', aproximently 7500 miles. You will start to notice major improvements as the EEC continues to update it's programs through your driving habits. Also a good reason to stick to the recommended fuel.

The HP and torque peaks do seem to be awfully high in the rpm band, is that a detriment at all?
    That depends on your definition of detriment. These cars weren't offered as the Mustang Cobra. The MM needed to appeal to a wide genre of buyers. It IS tame in some respects, and for the most part, that's fine for most folks merely upgrading their Marquis'.

Those of us 2%ers have overcome and gone beyond the 'generic' shortcomings of a 'public' Marauder. It's not a difficult task, and doesn't have to cost that much.

Drive your MM and get used to it. Put some miles on it. And then consider a tuner, or a flash for the EEC. This change alone will make your car change like night and day. A little later, if the highway gearing doesn't do it for you, throw in some 4:10's, or maybe 4:30's. Then you will have to learn how to tap the gas without breaking the tires loose.

No fear, you did good, you own a MM. That was the first step.
    2017 Niro

Hi clutchfan,

I have only had my MM for 7 weeks now, but I drive it everyday at least 50 miles (distance back and forth to work). I now have 3000 miles on her with no touble thus far. I dont think mine will be a collectible as I plan to drive her all I can. I can tell you that I average 19 mpg when driving normally. I only use hi octane fuel. If you dont they will ping under full power conditions. As far as quickness, my car is much better now then when I first got it with just 100 miles on the clock. It does not feel like a slingshot but once it is moving its great. It has a great power feel between 3800-6250 RPM. All I know is it is very easy to pass 3 or 4 cars in a row and by the time you pull back in the lane the clock says 100+mph. It is really a great car. Enjoy your shopping and I hope this helps you, Bill
    "03 300A"
    Born 6/12/02 Purchased 1/04
    SS Inserts Traded in 12-2-10

wm1964 - Welcome to the site. Enjoy your new ride.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Howdy, Clutchfan.

1. MILEAGE-- I have gotten as low as 17 MPG when I was doing mostly city driving, to as high as 23 MPG on the highway. Of course, the more high speed bursts I do on the highway takes away from that.

2. ACCELLERATION-- These cars aren't going to take a Cobra off the line, but with minor mods they can be improved significantly. I have less than $1,000.00 in mods, and my car is significantly faster than it was stock.
    It is true what people say about the car getting faster after 5-7K miles. Call it "break in", call it computer "learning" your driving habits, or whatever, most people who have commented on this agree that the car gets better as it gets some miles on it. Also, if you aren't happy with 0-60 accelleration, try 60-100. Even without mods, my car scared me the first time I saw how fast it made that 60-100 jump. After a few mods, it was even faster.

Keep checking these boards and learning from the collective experience and wisdom here. You'll get a lot of info to choose from. Glad to have a new member on board.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

I'm also averaging about 19mpg and put nothing but 93 in it. It could be faster off the line but I love the chirp into second when shifting manually. My 4.10's, chip and stuff will be here soon and will help with the stop light launches. I've had mine since last September and just turned 15k. Again, these things LOVE to take off from 40 to 60 and get to 100 before you can look down at the speedo. Love my car.

Previous owner of...

BLACK '03 300A "Bagheera"
    Ford Racing 4:10's
    Denso Iridium plugs
    JLT Cold Air Intake
    Valentine One Radar Locator w/ remote
    Gods Head Steering wheel badge
    Sylvania Silverstars
    Hitch

Welcome Clutchfan and WM1964, give your car some time to break in, it will improve with age like a fine bottle of wine. Life is good, go out and enjoy driving.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Blog Entries
    I believe Steve aka TripleTransAm has the fastest stock MM @14.56.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Welcome Clutchfan and WM1964, give your car some time to break in, it will improve with age like a fine bottle of wine. Life is good, go out and enjoy driving.
    and how many mile do you have on your car ?

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Stock daily driver w/ 22k miles: Used to get 24 MPG hwy and 20 MPG city and the dreaded ticking when using 91 octane from a brand "x" convienence store.

Switched to 92 octane from a brand "y" gas station and now get 20 MPG highway, 16 city. No ticks, smoother acceleration, and improved responsiveness.

Worth the 15% drop in fuel effiecency? Ask the driver of the S/C'ed GTP I handed his butt to when seeing who could get to the merged highway entrance ramp faster when turning left off an overpass today. I even gave him the inside lane.

Buy the MM, learn how to drive it, and then start to mod it.

-JD
    Currently Marauderless but looking

Quote Originally Posted by merc
    and how many mile do you have on your car ?
    As to date 2464mi and it whistles just fine. No problems with acceleration or getting the jump on the go. And a whopping 17mpg. Damn I love my Marauder. and it will only get better, life is GOOD!!
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

If you're looking for stump-pulling, frame-twisting go-juice, our MM isn't the ticket as delivered.

Our car is a slicked up work of art with just enough motor to be a starting point. I have one of the first MMs ever built and mine ran 14.8 dead bone stock. (which isn't all that bad given the tremendous weight of the car.)

I beat a 5.0L Mustang and a 2002ish Mustang GT when I was racing with the Mustang club. Once a MM gets off the line it just keeps getting better all the way down the track. I actually lost some time to tire spin on my best runs since I didn't heat up my BFGs.

I must admit its kind of annoying not having enough low end. I had some idiot in a hotrodded 1970ish Dodge PU decide to challenge me at a light. He was able to take half a car length on me by the other side of the intersection. I couldve taken him in an actual race but we were on a residential 25mph street so I backed off at about 40mph or so with him well in the lead. (basically I had to let go just as I was getting up in the cams.)

He had a good laugh at my expense, but I still have the coolest production vehicle under $100k.

- SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

As a resident of Los Angeles, I average 13 MPG. Although I can get 18 MPG going from L.A. to Vegas. But I can ONLY manage 13 MPG in city/hwy driving on California 91-octane "premium" fuel. Since my SCT dynotune, and subsequent reflashes by both Jerry and Chris at SCT, I STILL have detonation. IMO, 91-octane is the MINIMUM. I recommend using 93- or 94-octane if your state sells it.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

Thread Information