Thread: A/C Compressor Dead...Can I wait til Spring to Fix It?

A/C Compressor Dead...Can I wait til Spring to Fix It?

Compressor burnt up and is now making an annoying whining noise.

My mechanic says I need to replace it because it can lock up and cause further damage.

My first question...Is there anything I can do to make the pulley spin freely until I want to replace it in the spring?
    Of course I can pull relay/fuse but will that accomplish my goal.

Whats the worst that could happen other than breaking a belt?

If I can hold off on the repair, is there anything I can do about the noise?

People and information on this site have saved me a lot of money and time but I fear that Im just going to have to spend the money sooner rather than later.

Im not driving the Marauder for now but my other vehicle is not nearly as fun to drive
    Last edited by TheLyon32; 10-30-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Does it make noise when not engaged? If not, disconnect the wiring to it so it doesn't come on when defrost is selected (pump is wired to run in defrost mode).

If constant, get creative with different belt sizes to bypass it all together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Yes it squeals at all times..I just went out to check to see if even engages at all and my belt was already broken. Last time I drove it was about 2 weeks ago. Glad I came straight home and didn't get stuck anywhere.

Any Ideas..?? I really dont want to spend the money until I actually want to use the A/C...but I dont want to rig anything unsafe or mess up my car.
    Last edited by TheLyon32; 10-30-2012 at 07:07 PM.

I really dont want to spend the money until I actually want to use the A/C...but I dont want to rig anything unsafe or mess up my car.

You have answered your own question. Fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by finster101 View Post
    I really dont want to spend the money until I actually want to use the A/C...but I dont want to rig anything unsafe or mess up my car.

You have answered your own question. Fix it.

^^^^^^ What he said. Get it done right or be prepared to spend more on down the road.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

I feel your pain man. While I'm not having the exact same issue as you, my compressor's clutch has gone bad (when engaged it clicks) and I have been torn for months lol between replacing it with an eBay (China) aftermarket one or just springing the cash and ordering OEM. My advice to myself is, "stop being so stingy and buy the part you need!"
    2003 Black Marauder

What is unsafe rigging when bypassing the A/C pulley with a shorter belt? You asked for a cheap solution and I gave you just that. Maybe it may slip a little, but i doubt it.

Besides that, how did you not know the belt was already broke when you drove the car home with no P/S, or Alt?
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

The compressor itself is expensive, the longer you wait other parts may need to be replaced as well. I started out in about July having to replace reciever/drier for leakage. Two weeks later had to have compressor replaced because clutch had locked up. Fortunately, didn't have any noise and pulley free wheeled so no belt damage. Ran around for about two weeks. Then it just got to hot to go without ac. 1400 via dealer, but got him down to 1299 all total with some other work as well.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    What is unsafe rigging when bypassing the A/C pulley with a shorter belt? You asked for a cheap solution and I gave you just that. Maybe it may slip a little, but i doubt it.

Besides that, how did you not know the belt was already broke when you drove the car home with no P/S, or Alt?
    Agreed, I knew the instant it broke when mine snapped...

It should be possible to bypass the A/C comp with a shorter belt(assuming this is the correct wrap)...

45Kmi - Eaton SC - 430RwHp - SOLD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TFB View Post
    Agreed, I knew the instant it broke when mine snapped...

It should be possible to bypass the A/C comp with a shorter belt(assuming this is the correct wrap)...

" DITTO"

While back in my Fox body days , The quick horse power gain was to do the A/C by pass .The belt diagram showed the with and without A/C belt pictured on under the hood. 1979-19etc
    Roger that

Assembled 8/25/03. In service 11/5/03.[Safford Lincoln Mercury] . Returned from Service to Dundalk Lincoln Mercury 7/12/11 Adopted and reassigned to Street Duty 7/29/11 .at Car Center [Waldorf Ford] /Waldorf MD. # 27 of 997 silver burch #103 of 3214 Sold Oct 17, 2015. Replaced with 2016 XLT Explorer with 3:66 gear 4WD [ interceptor package] In addition 2015 -V6 Mustang added to the corral April 17,2015 with Roush upgrades .February 2018 upgraded to Explorer Sport , Ford blue ,intake upgrade, intake mod, Unleashed super tune, Governor removed. 1969 Mark III ,Forest Green still in fleet. Carlisle favorite .

So what's the consensus on whether bypassing the compressor with a shorter belt is ok?

It's fine, as long as you route the shorter belt properly around the accessories so they all turn in the right direction. Follow the blue and green diagram above ^^^.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Any idea on the length of the belt to bypass the compressor? My a.c. Compressor recently ate the dust and I'm just gonna bypass it till I get the time to replace the compressor

Thread Information