Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted Brake Calipers!

Painted Brake Calipers!

Well,.. the kit from Eastwood arrived at my doorstep yesterday evening. I started this morning, so far I have the front done.

Now I have to wait a few hours before I can put the wheels back on and start on the rear calipers!

Since I only have 2 jack stands I have to do then separately, I bought 2 kits cause I know the first batch of paint will be hard by the time I'm ready to start on the rears. Hmmm,... Now that I think about it,... It might have been cheaper to buy two more jack stands. The 2 Eastwood kits cost just under $100 including S+H....

I'll post more later, once I've finished putting the wheels back on.

Tom

PS- I used blue painter's masking tape,... that's not over spray! lol

Blog Entries
    Looks really nice. I was thinking of doing the same color. Let me know how It turns out if you can Thanks.

Glad to hear you finally did it. You know, I hope you took advantage of the extra paint and put several additional coats on those. I did 4 coats on each and still knicked one last fall. I discovered the auto touch up paint works great on knicks. Make sure you go to the auto store and get a match. Nothing kike a rock ding the morning of a show!

Remember though, let em' sit for atleast 48 hours before driving.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra25
    Looks really nice. I was thinking of doing the same color. Let me know how It turns out if you can Thanks.
    Thanks Cobra25.

I've just finished the rear calipers. They look good ... so far.

Here's what I've learned so far:
    • Cleaning- the calipers are kinda porous, so you'll really have to soak them with the brake cleaner. The cleaner the parts, the better the paint will stick.
    • Masking- I used blue painter's masking tape. I taped off all of the brake pads. It was a pain in the a$$.
    • Painting- The little 'acid' brush that comes with the kit pretty much sucks. I already had the car on jacks so I used it. It did work, but a higher quality brush would be a good idea.
    • More Painting- The paint isn't very thick, it will drip. So, after about 30 minutes, go back and brush off the drips.
    • Finishing up- The directions say to wait 2 hours before putting the wheel back on. When I was putting the front wheels back on, I dinged a caliper. It was easy enough to fix once I mixed the second batch of paint.

Here's some more pics!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    Remember though, let em' sit for atleast 48 hours before driving.
    48? The direction I read said 24.... hmmm... Was your kit made by G2?

I put 2 really thick coats on,... I hope it lasts! thanks for the tip!

Tom

I used the same product. I just take the care part one step further. I actually left the wheels off for 24 hrs, and waited an additional 24 before driving.

The blue looks really good Tom.
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 02-28-2004 at 07:47 PM.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    I used the same product. I just take the care part one step further. I actually left the wheels off for 24 hrs, and waited an additional 24 before driving.

The bluse looks really good Tom.

Thanks Barry.

This is a pretty easy mod. I think it's worth $100 bucks ($50 if you have 4 jack stands! ) and an afternoon worth of work.

As I type this, the rear calipers are drying after I applied a 3rd coat. I'll post some more pics of the finished rears.

Tom

Paint bad.

Retains heat.

Heat warps.

Extra jack stands good.

Finished!

Just got done putting the rear tires back on... I took a few more pics,... looks like I'll be putting plenty of Zaino on the tires tomorrow!!

Tom

Well done, Tom!

Those look GREAT!!!

I think Fordnut was the one that found G2 for us all, by the way. I REALLY like what you're doing with the Ford blue trim on your Marauder.

Sure does make you wonder why you had those ugly, bird-dropping stockers on so long....don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TAF
    Well done, Tom!

Those look GREAT!!!

I think Fordnut was the one that found G2 for us all, by the way. I REALLY like what you're doing with the Ford blue trim on your Marauder.

Sure does make you wonder why you had those ugly, bird-dropping stockers on so long....don't it?
    Thanks Todd,.... Well I have YOU to thank for sending down the power coated path!

I guess I'll have to change my Bob White bumper decal to blue,... I am also thinking about getting the rear quarter panel decals

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrograde
    Thanks Todd,.... Well I have YOU to thank for sending down the power coated path!

I guess I'll have to change my Bob White bumper decal to blue,... I am also thinking about getting the rear quarter panel decals

Tom
    Rear quarter panel decal's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra25
    Rear quarter panel decal's ?
    yup,... click here and scroll all the way to the bottom.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Paint bad.

Retains heat.

Heat warps.

Extra jack stands good.
    SergntMac are you saying that by applying this coating our brakes will heat up faster and that our brake fluid might boil giving us less stopping power?

Baer's breaks are painted, as well as porsche, ferrari, and lamborghini....
    2017 Niro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information