Thread: Haunted Asylum tour - CAM Meetup? thoughts

Haunted Asylum tour - CAM Meetup? thoughts

In Weston, WV lies:
    The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, constructed between 1858 and 1881, is the largest hand-cut stone masonry building in North America, and is purportedly the second largest in the world, next to the Kremlin. It was designed by the renowned architect Richard Andrews following the Kirkbride plan, which called for long rambling wings arranged in a staggered formation, assuring that each of the connecting structures received an abundance of therapeutic sunlight and fresh air. The original hospital, designed to house 250 souls, was open to patients in 1864 and reached its peak in the 1950's with 2,400 patients in overcrowded and generally poor conditions. Changes in the treatment of mental illness and the physical deterioration of the facility forced its closure in 1994 inflicting a devastating effect on the local economy, from which it has yet to recover.

It's about 4 hours from the DC area (maybe more for you CAMMers in MD, DE and PA)

I am looking at their different tour packages:

The Asylum has had apparition sightings, unexplainable voices and sounds, and other paranormal activity reported in the past by guests, staff, SyFy's Ghost Hunters, Ghost Hunters Academy and the Travel Channel's Ghost Adventures. Step back in time and see how the mentally insane lived, and died, within these walls.
    Thousands have been committed to the asylum over the years, and hundreds unfortunately died here. Decide for yourself if they’re still occupying the historic wards and treatment rooms.
    Daytime tours of all four floors are available, but to take your Asylum experience to another dimension, call and schedule or purchase tickets online, for one of our evening tours. The paranormal tour, ghost hunt, or for the really adventurous, the private ghost hunt.
    Paranormal Tours (2 hours)

These tours last approximately two hours (10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.). This is a guided tour of the 4 hottest spots in this 242,000 sq. foot Asylum. Once everyone is registered, we'll break the groups up and assign guides. Bring your camera, digital recorder, EMF meter, etc... Make sure you stay with your guide. You never know what could happen if you break from the group.
    Cost is $40 per person.
    Dates currently available are: 02/08, 04/05, 04/19 and 05/03

They will sell fast. Buy your tickets here.
    Daytime Paranormal Tours (1.5 hours)

This is a daylight version of our Paranormal tour given only on Saturdays at 1:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m. and Sundays at 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. This is a guided tour of the hottest spots in this 242,000 sq. foot Asylum.
    Tickets for these tours can only be purchased in person and are first come first served.
    Cost is $35 per person.
    Flashlight Tours (30 minutes)
    During the special events at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum we also offer Flashlight tours of the historic Kirkbride building and the Medical Center! Flashlight tours are 30 minute half historic and half paranormal tours.
    Tickets are first come first serve and are available on site only.
    Cost is $10 per person.
    *Tickets to ghost hunts do not include tickets to any other activities at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to gauge some interest now. I.E. what date/month might work for everyone. It seems like we have a Marauder meet-up event pretty much every month. also I don't know if it's worthwhile to drive 4 hours for a tour, so maybe I can look into the surrounding area for additional activities to do.

anyways, trying to get this on the radar. i know it might not be able to work on everyone's schedule but if we get a handful to try it out, might be something we can look to do next year. Also it's halfway to Louisville, so maybe get some of the Ohio and Kentucky folks to meet us?
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Love these things but 4hrs away....Idk...
    392 Challenger YELLOW JACKET
    12.28@114 stock

I've been there, really cool and creepy. The weirdest thing is that they make you sign a 3 page fine print release form to go on the tour. After I signed it, I was like," I just signed a legal document entering a mental institution that I never read, that was smart." And there were a lot of orbs in the pictures I took.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Love these things but 4hrs away....Idk...
    Yeah i know. It would be something where would have to incorporate other activities in it. WVA has lot of great ski resorts, but who's going to drive their Marauders in wintertime on WVA roads?

I'm thinking of a summer/late fall kind of meet up. Maybe try to go during the Halloween timeframe. I'll look into other activities along the way. Maybe stop at some wineries or WV breweries. I know there are a ton of outdoor activities to do and natural wonder .Too bad the New River Gorge is too far south. That's always fun to drive across.

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I've been there, really cool and creepy. The weirdest thing is that they make you sign a 3 page fine print release form to go on the tour. After I signed it, I was like," I just signed a legal document entering a mental institution that I never read, that was smart." And there were a lot of orbs in the pictures I took.
    No way! did you hear any voices or anything? I loved the lobotomy tools display. so freaking cool!

Imagine staying there overnight from 9 PM to 5 AM!

The lobotomy tools are so crude!!! No voices or anything. I'd be down for the 9 to 5 tour.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

You had me at "lunatic", only 5 hours away.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

I'll pass .....
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

W.Va wine?

Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    You had me at "lunatic", only 5 hours away.
    Must be on a mission to look for distant relatives or be amongst your own kind, eh?
    In Memoriam....11-14-13

Rex Weinbender

The best friend a person could have

In Memoriam...05-26-14
    Lillian Kostac

I love you grandma!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    W.Va wine?
    You had some, oh one to make disparaging remarks of the inbred capital of the world. Forks of Cheat winery is in Morgantown, WV. and they have a very good selection of wines plus a distillery.

I was thinking we could drive up and meet on a Friday evening, go to the winery (or somewhere else on Saturday afternoon, get dinner and head to Casey's family retreat (the crazy house) afterwards.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Maybe sometime in april

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Maybe sometime in april
    April is Louisville, maybe May more likely June.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    W.Va wine?
    Also known as Hooch or moonshine. Boones Farm! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    April is Louisville, maybe May more likely June.
    correct, as I said above, We have an event most every month lined up. It's hard to get folks to commit to more than one weekend in a month. But that's why i'm getting on the radar now.

Thread Information