Thread: Subwoofer amp installation - with pics

Post Subwoofer amp installation - with pics

First, let me warn you that I'm not a professional car audio installer, so please don't read these as installation instructions. Second, let me offer that this installation was neither quick nor easy (most likely due to the first point made). But if you're like me, where you're willing and confident enough to tackle yourself rather than paying someone else to screw something like this up, read on.

The most difficult step in this process is drilling a hole through the firewall to pass the amplifier's power wire through. Beyond that, get ready to spend some quality time sitting in the trunk and slumped over the engine compartment and driver's side floor board. There was also a problem with the OEM head unit's remote amp signal not working with the amp I chose covered at the end of this post.

Here's the money shot:

I really need to get back in and tidy up the wiring a bit.

I chose to go with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S 2-channel amp to drive the 6.5" Punch HE RFP4404 subwoofer I previously installed in the OEM enclosure. The 201S is rated for 200W continuous power to a bridged 4 Ohm load. It takes a 10 gauge power wire fused to 20 amps. To each his or her own on the equipment, just be mindful in selecting the appropriate power wire and fuse for the amp.

You will need about 22 feet of power wire to get from the battery to the location in the trunk I chose to install the amp. A 17 foot kit will leave you stranded under the back seat like I was. Oh well, I have a soldered and insulated pump splice that only we know about. Lesson #1: Order plenty of power wire.

OK, here's the hard part: Drilling a hole in the firewall. There's a large grommet just above and to the right of the gas pedel that what looks like 2 vacuum lines pass through. The problem I had with using it to pull the wire through was I couldn't get to it from the engine compartment due to lack of clearance between the engine and the cowl. I decided not to chance what I couldn't get to for securing the wire and sealing the grommet back up.

Taking a hint from ultravorx's "Some amp install tips" thread, I drilled a hole here:

Cabin side

Engine compartment side

Notice that there's a wire bundle on the engine compartment side just above the spot I chose to drill. I was able to wedge a 1" x 2" down in between the cable bundle and hood release so I would tear up some wood before doing damage to any wiring. I used a right-angle drill to get to the location from inside the cabin. You won't be able to get a straight drill to this location.

I fabbed up a bulkhead fitting with a close nipple just big enough to pass the 10 gauge wire through, two nuts, and a rubber washer instead of using a grommet. I had a grommet pull out on me after installing an amp in a pickup truck a few years back, eventually cutting through the power cable. Not something I want to live through again. The rubber washer on the engine side and silicon caulk on the last few inches of the wire prior to pulling through the firewall bulkhead fitting should ensure a leak-free install.

Here's the installed wire from both sides of the firewall:

cabin side

engine compartment side

Next was running the power wire to the battery. I went straight up and then shot across the cowl to the battery side of the engine, and then followed the wire bundle across the valve cover and around to the battery.

Here's the power wire ran in the engine compartment (I used "Paint" to highlight the route in yellow):

The 20A inline fuse is just to the left of the fuse/relay box.

Running the wire in the cabin was fairly straight forward. Again using ultravorx's install tips, I ran the power wire in the drivers side wire trough. The door sills came off with even upward force, working from one end to the other.

The door sill clips insert into enlongated holes in the sill sheetmetal, which you might be able to see here:

The removal of the back seat has already been covered, so no additional explaination is needed to get to the trunk from here.

While I was at it, I decided to install a Tsumani Silencer trunk kit (similiar to Dynomat). The kit comes with 12 sq ft of the "Silencer One" matrixed mat, which the spare tire shelf took every last bit of:

The kit also comes 8 sq ft of the "Premium Silencer" (foil covered), which I used two 1' x 2' pieces of to stiffen the package shelf inside the cabin. I didn't think to take pics of this, but I covered around the rear speaker and subwoofer holes. I still have to get to the front speakers.

I fabbed up and carpeted an amp shelf out of particle board. Nothing too much to look at, but here it is prior to carpeting:

I attached it to the back of the OEM sub enclosure with two bolts. The vertical fastening along with the horizontal support of the shelf bottom is enough to make it quite solid. I didn't want to even think about drilling through the gas tank.

After everything was wired up and ready to rock, I discovered an issue with remote wire signal mentioned at the top of this post. The OEM head unit puts out a 7.4 VDC signal to turn on the OEM subwoofer amp when the radio is on. The Rockford Fosgate 201S needs to see 12 VDC to switch the amp on. Just connecting the remote signal wire from the original harness didn't do any good.

My solution was to utilize $30 worth of my electronics education and build an analog switch out of the Radio Shack parts bin to make 7.4 VDC magically turn into 12 VDC. If you look close at the first pic, you can see the little project box just to the left of the amp. The switch on the box is so I can defeat the remote signal if I ever wanted to instead of having to pull the fuse. If anyone would like a schematic / pics of this, email me. Of course, they probably make something that does the same thing for $10 somewhere.

The results? Well, for around $350 (amp, subwoofer, amp wiring kit, Tsunami trunk kit, misc Radio Shack parts), I've got much stronger bass and a few more knobs / switches to play around with to tailor the sound to my liking. What would the install at one of the big box electronics stores cost me? Don't know / don't care, it was fun and hopefully now a little more smarter for doing it myself.

Now what did I screw up so I can go fix it ?

-JD
    Currently Marauderless but looking

1st of all, NICE JOB! I just installed a 5 channel amp and ran into the same remote turn on problem. There are 2 ways to handle this. One way is to run a wire from the fuse box acessory fuse supplying your 12 volt signal, this is an oldschool installation method. The other way is to buy a low voltage remote trigger like this one: http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/PERLVT2 it does the exact same thing your home built device does.

The only thing I can recommend and you may have done this already (I can't tell from the underhood pix) is to use zip ties for your power wire or buy a plastic split loom for a real custom look. 90 degree wire runs always look better when possible.

Once again, NICE JOB!

Rookie1,

I just knew someone make a widget to interface the OEM remote to an aftermarket amp. Thanks for the link for the low voltage trigger, I'm ordering one today to clean up my install. Leave it to me to re-engineer the wheel .

Yes sir, I used split wire loom (about 10 ft) in the engine compartment, wrapped end-to-end with electrical tape. I was looking to make the wire disappear by following existing wire bundles. I tie wrapped every 6 inches or so where I could. I even used the 3 ft loom that came with the wiring kit to sheath the power wire from the back seat into the trunk for a little extra protection.

Now that I've had some time to play with the amp settings, I wound up setting the filter switch to "All Pass", selecting the +6db boost, and setting the gain to about 3/4. The bass kicks in really good when listening to the rap station and complements the rock & roll bass drums and guitar that I usually listen to very well.

BTW, the lockwashers I used when reinstalling the OEM sub enclosure and the sound proofing I laid down in the trunk and on the package tray eliminated any rattling I was getting so tired of.

Thanks for the comments rookie1 .

-JD

Marauder57 Guest
    So the Sub you put in fit exactly into the housing with no cutting etc? What was the part number and who was it made by?

Looks like a great job and despite what professonal installers would think after seeing this , 1st-you did the job and 2nd-it didn't cost you an arm and a leg to do . believe me I know first hand what you went through . Im not as agile as I once was 20+ years ago but again it looks great . Quick question-are you still using the factory enclosure for the aftermarket sub-woofer and if so , have you considered porting as I have to enhance your sub-woofer sound ? I posted pics 2-3 weeks ago when I ported my enclosure and it made a diffrence in sound...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder57
    So the Sub you put in fit exactly into the housing with no cutting etc? What was the part number and who was it made by?
    Marauder57,

See this thread:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...8&page=4&pp=15

I used valleyman's "pyro-form" technique to remold the side of the sub enclosure a little to fit the 6.5" Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 into using the stock mounting holes due to its much larger magnet. I did a little more reforming with a 1000F heat gun shile I had the enclosure back out to put the rubber magnet boot back on since it was really bugging me that I took it off in the first place.

Sorry to say, it looks like the 6.5" RFP4406 sub-woofer has been discontinued but you may still find it on some of the internet car audio sites. Others have used the Kenwood KFC-W1705 mid-woofer without needing to alter the enclosure, but I don't think that one is being made anymore either.

Point is, if you find a sub you like there's a way to make it fit. The stocker isn't worth investing a more powerful amp in. While you're at it, think about porting the enclosure (also described in the link above). It'll make a worth while difference.

-JD

Quote Originally Posted by ADELG670
    Looks like a great job and despite what professonal installers would think after seeing this , 1st-you did the job and 2nd-it didn't cost you an arm and a leg to do . believe me I know first hand what you went through . Im not as agile as I once was 20+ years ago but again it looks great . Quick question-are you still using the factory enclosure for the aftermarket sub-woofer and if so , have you considered porting as I have to enhance your sub-woofer sound ? I posted pics 2-3 weeks ago when I ported my enclosure and it made a diffrence in sound...
    ADELG670,

Your memory must not be what it was 20+ years ago either .

Re-read the link to the post above. We've had this conversation .

Thanks for the comments.

-JD

HwyCruiser, the Kenwood KFC-1703 (2001 MODEL W/BLUE CONE) & Kenwood KFC-1705 (2002 MODEL W/SILVER CONE) are indeed SUBWOOFERS. The box states "subwoofer" right on the front. They are built just like their bigger siblings. They list the frequency range as 30 hz -3.5k hz, but Kenwood also list their 12" sub freq as 25 hz- 800 hz. "800 hz" is definately midrange too, but you wouldn't call their 12" sub a mid-woofer. my point is, rockford fosgate list their recommended frequency response that they measure. the 6.5" RF sub does indeed play above 250 hz they list. The RF is a lot less efficient as you have found by needing a more powerful amp. I actually have my subout level (-2) because it is too loud with the Kenwood. The Kenwood was even too loud with the stock radio. BTW, the stock radio is weak compared to the aftermarket ones. The Clarion I got is rated at 18 x 4 in full bandwidth @ less than 1% distortion which is louder and clearer with more bass and treble from the 6x8 speakers in the doors and rear deck. Keep in mind if you get an aftermarket radio, the sub will play louder with 4 volt RCA outputs than 2 volt RCA outputs since the OEM amp does not have a gain control. pac makes the steering wheel radio button adapter to work with just about any aftermarket radio.
    2003 - black w/ dark charcoal 300a. polished full size spare, carpeted lid trunk organizer - 2w7z-54115a00-aa, black rear spoiler - 2w7z-5444210-aab, matte black door edge guards - yw7z-5420910-ba, all weather molded vinyl black floor mats - 1w7z-5413086-ha (front) & 1w4z-5413106-ca (rear), Gorilla spline drive chrome plated locking lug nuts, Kenwood kfc-6808c 6x8 3-way speakers in front & rear, Kenwood kfc-1705 6.75" subwoofer, Clarion Proaudio DXZ-835 CD receiver, Clarion Proaudio DCZ 6-disc CD changer, Clarion SIRCL Sirius satellite radio tuner, Superchips tuner, Borla cat back exhaust, SVO rear girdle (T/A performance) & stud kit, Dynotech MMC racing driveshaft, B&M 3 quart+ aluminum finned tranny pan.

Lightbulb The Link

Quote Originally Posted by HwyCruiser
    ADELG670,

Your memory must not be what it was 20+ years ago either .

Re-read the link to the post above. We've had this conversation .

Thanks for the comments.

-JD
    Sorry I missed that link...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Thread Information