Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seat cover?

seat cover?

Howdy -

I had to have my driver's seat cover replaced after the fastener directly under the front of the seat (kind of a long plastic clip) came loose or snapped. I just noticed that it has done it again (hangs down by the floor instead of rolled up and "clipped" underneath the cushion) and I will be calling tomorrow to have them order yet another new seat cover.

This time I am placing a secret mark somewhere on the seat cover to see if they just refasten the broken one (I'm suspicious of the dealer) - they might have done that the first time hence the current problem.

Anyone else need to replace the seat cover(s)? New leather doesn't bother me, just curious.

Thanks,
    -A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

No...but I can't get that same clip to stay up on mine either.

The front flap problem can be repaired. Generally, the flap comes undone because there is not enough foam in the front of the seat behind the flap. My dealer fixed the problem by adding additional foam stuffing in the front of the seat. As a result, the flap was more firmly fastened. The problem has not come back.

Hey mine's hanging down too! The passenger side is okay. What's up with this?
    KEITH
    KB Marauder-S #19

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMarauder
    The front flap problem can be repaired. Generally, the flap comes undone because there is not enough foam in the front of the seat behind the flap. My dealer fixed the problem by adding additional foam stuffing in the front of the seat. As a result, the flap was more firmly fastened. The problem has not come back.
    So...it's kinda like what Marty told me once...how he puts a rolled up sock in his pants to "impress the ladies"

TripleTransAm Guest
    Happened to me as well. Although, it hasn't re-occurred since I got it fixed at my dealer. Will keep a close eye on it...

Does this seat flap have anything to do with the EVAP system, by any chance? (j/k)

I've been meaning to ask this here for the last YEAR!!! My stupid seat cover front flaps on BOTH seats have been hanging down, flapping freely since I bought it! I thought it was just me! When I first noticed it, I thought, "Hmmm . . . is this ANOTHER defect?" I asked myself, "Are they supposed to be that way? What the f---?" And another thing . . . that damn, plastic steering column cover near the firewall gets droopier every day--you know, the piece that sorta gets in the way of the brakes now and then? I love the car, but I'm getting tired of all these customer work-arounds.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300B, matte-black, S55 taillights.
    B&M transmission/Precision Industries TC; Eibach-lowered; Addco rear anti-sway; Metco rear control arms; Steeda UDP; 180° 'stat.

FLA RAUD FAN Guest

Lightbulb Same problem here.

Both of my seats had the same problem with the front of the seat hanging loosely. My dealer uses a local trim shop for problems like these. Covered under warranty of course. Both times the trim shop guy just came out and reached under the seat and popped the clip back in place. I had tried this as well but couldn't get it to go. His expierience with this kind of stuff was very evident...took him less than 1 minute to do it!! He then told me if it happens again to come back and they would remove the seat and then place a rivet or screw in the clip and the metal backing to prevent it from coming loose again. Replacing the whole seat cover seems like a waste to me. Hope this may help someone else....
    JP

Marauder57 Guest
    I have had that problem as well. The clip pulls up and snaps onto some metal type edge up under the seat.....at first the thing popped off everytime I replaced snapped it back....after a few sittings....

Now over time as the seat broke in it happens less often.....now it only happens occasionally...if at all.....was kind of embarrassed at first...thought maybe it was a "Fat Arse" problem until I saw it happened in a few other MMs. I think Dennis has the same problem in his and has seen it in a few others......

Both front seats on my MM are doing the same thing - hanging down with the plastic clip laughing at me when I tried to figure out where it should go. My local dealer wants the car for a day, something I can't spare right now.

Anybody up to posting some instructions on how to do this?
    2003 MM 300B

I figured out how to get the leather on the front of the seats to attach where it is supposed to go. So far, it has stayed put. The plastic clip on the edge of the leather attaches to a lip on the metal seat bottom. To attach, grab the plastic clip, rotate 360 degrees and slide it up over the metal lip. Once on, push/pull firmly upward on the clip to securely seat it on the metal lip. It' seemed easier to start on one side of the seat, get the clip on, and then work across the remainder of the seat.

I have attached a graphic that hopefully will make this easy to visualize. Imagine cutting the seat bottom in half, front to back, then look at one half of the seat from the side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 MM 300B

Marauder57 Guest
    That is what I have been doing.....and it will hold for a while....I have noticed that the more the seat was broke in the longer the clip held....

For the record, I was not the one who requested said seat cover - the dealer ordered it by the time I spoke to them about it, so I figured I'd let them.

Screw it - I'm gluing mine in place.

THANKS for the directions, Dragonrider (must be another gamer!)

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Another MM owner I know suggested using Liquid Nails construction adhesive on the clip. I'm sure this will work, but that clip will never come off again, even if you wanted to recover the seat in the future.
    Last edited by drgnrdr33; 06-29-2004 at 08:49 PM.
    2003 MM 300B

Marauder57 Guest
    Gluing the clip was a concern of mine....because if it glues and the pressure gets to great i beleive it will split the seam...and what youwill have is a clip glued to the seat and the rest of the cover torn and resting there.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information