Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car stereo gurus, please help!

Car stereo gurus, please help!

My car currently has a Alpine CDA 9827 in it WITHOUT a faceplate. The previous owner said someone took the faceplate. It had some sort of monster system in it at one point. I have looked for a similar radio on eBay. I might buy one just to change out the harness and see what I got. Meanwhile, there are alot of connections I don't know about. For example, look at the pics and tell me what the two clear plastic "boxes" are that each have RCA plugs? What are they for? Also, can anyone tell from my photography whether or not the factory wiring is still intact or has it been hacked into.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

1968 Ford (Galaxie) XL fastback, 390, factory buckets & auto on floor
    2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

The clear boxes are line level converters, which take the signals from the speaker wiring and send out via RCA jacks. These would be used to install an aftermarket amp using the factory radio, or some other radio that doesn't have RCA jacks. As for the factory wiring, it looks like it's been hacked into, at least partially......it looks like the connector is still there, with an aftermarket add-on harness connected. You may be better off finding a new radio, and getting a new add-on harness to splice to the new radio harness. You shouldn't need the RCA boxes.

After a second look....best guess is it appears that someone added aftermarket amps using the stock radio at one point, then later on added the aftermarket radio, and just left the boxes. So most likely the factory speaker wiring is spliced into, but that should be it.
    Last edited by JBFTech; 04-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    Bought 09/10/2012
    2004 DTR Marauder

K&N CAI, Rear Cat Delete, Flowmaster 40's, Meg's 4" res delete tips, Pioneer DD unit, Kicker door and deck speakers, Lotek triple with Autometer gauges, Line Locks, J-MOD

Those two plastic boxes are wired into the purple speaker wires coming off the aftermarket radio harness. There are like 3 or 4 regular type speaker wires spliced in. See additional pic....
    Attached Images Attached Images

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

Hmm, that radio had 3 sets of RCA outputs, so it's odd to see 2 converter boxes there too, but you mention that it had a monster system in it at one point so they probably had a purpose. What are your plans for the system now? Also, what does it have now as far as door/deck speakers, subs, etc?
    Last edited by JBFTech; 04-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Bought 09/10/2012
    2004 DTR Marauder

K&N CAI, Rear Cat Delete, Flowmaster 40's, Meg's 4" res delete tips, Pioneer DD unit, Kicker door and deck speakers, Lotek triple with Autometer gauges, Line Locks, J-MOD

Quote Originally Posted by JBFTech View Post
    Hmm, that radio had 3 sets of RCA outputs, so it's odd to see 2 converter boxes there too, but you mention that it had a monster system in it at one point so they probably had a purpose. What are your plans for the system now? Also, what does it have now as far as door/deck speakers, subs, etc?
    Right now, I would just like to see what is there without having to take out door panels etc. Initial inspection, it looks like there are Alpine 6x9s in the back. I am assuming the speakers in the doors are still there. The factory sub is gone. There were some tweeters in the doors at one point. The guy left the housing and took the actual speakers...

PLANS: I would just like some decent tunes. It doesn't have to be outrageous. Besides, the exhaust is music enough right now!!!!

It sounds like you most likely have the front and rear speakers still, so IMO to start out with, I'd pick new deck and get a new adapter harness! Most people here are using a double din replacement, such as one of the Pioneer units like I've got, and they fit like a glove when installed correctly. I'll take a pic and get a model number later. You won't need the adapter harness or RCA boxes that are installed now, and it looks like your factory connectors are all there. Once you get a deck installed, you can see what she sounds like, and go from there on the speakers and sub. If you do go this route, I would run at least one set of RCA cables from the deck, so that if you do add subs later, you won't have to pull the deck back out. If you think you might run the door and deck speakers on a 4ch amp later, run RCA cables out for those too!
    Bought 09/10/2012
    2004 DTR Marauder

I have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT. It has navigation, blue tooth, runs apps from your smart phone like Pandora.

As stated it fits like a glove in the stock opening.

You need an installation kit, wiring kit and a steering wheel intefrace if ou want to keep the steering wheel controls.

I got mine from Pop's Stereo. PM Pops (aka John) and he'll fix you up with what you need.

PM me if you have any questions.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

There are Alpine CDA 9827 complete radios and faceplates on eBay.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thanks for your help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    I have a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT. It has navigation, blue tooth, runs apps from your smart phone like Pandora.

As stated it fits like a glove in the stock opening.

You need an installation kit, wiring kit and a steering wheel intefrace if ou want to keep the steering wheel controls.

I got mine from Pop's Stereo. PM Pops (aka John) and he'll fix you up with what you need.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Damn, that is a nice unit! A little pricey for me but I get the idea and the possibilities from that one. I was also told that I could get an 05 or 06 Escape Audiophile setup that should plug right in and would sound pretty good to with a built in 6 disc changer. But, those touch screen deals are pretty nice and having the ability to expand the system is important too.

So, a "double din" is what would fit.....

Quote Originally Posted by sflrainmaker01 View Post
    Thanks for your help so far!

Damn, that is a nice unit! A little pricey for me but I get the idea and the possibilities from that one. I was also told that I could get an 05 or 06 Escape Audiophile setup that should plug right in and would sound pretty good to with a built in 6 disc changer. But, those touch screen deals are pretty nice and having the ability to expand the system is important too.

So, a "double din" is what would fit.....
    Yes a double din will fit. You will need to remove the upper and lower lip in the opening. Easily done with a razor knife.

I'd check with Pops as he might have some "deals". I was able to get a $100.00 rebate on my unit.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    Yes a double din will fit. You will need to remove the upper and lower lip in the opening. Easily done with a razor knife.

I'd check with Pops as he might have some "deals". I was able to get a $100.00 rebate on my unit.
    By cutting or trimming the opening, does that effect the ability to stick a stock radio back in at a later point if one chooses to do so?

I saw on the Pioneer site that they had some rebates. I am trying to do this on the cheap so I can save my $$ for front and rear bumpers, a spoiler and a future paint job. Of course, I still have to send you my EATC.....

By cutting or trimming the opening, does that effect the ability to stick a stock radio back in at a later point if one chooses to do so?

I saw on the Pioneer site that they had some rebates. I am trying to do this on the cheap so I can save my $$ for front and rear bumpers, a spoiler and a future paint job. Of course, I still have to send you my EATC.....
    No, you can install the stock radio later.

BTW....

Ford Audiophile unit to replace stock MM:
    6L8T-18C815-FD
    Runs the factory sub and there is no need for the stock changer as the audiophile system is a 6-disc in unit player. Everything is right at your finger tips including steering wheel control function.

There are 4 on eBay right now. One for $139.00 or Best offer with free shipping.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I was strongly considering the factory unit, but I wasn't sure how hacked up the original wiring was. Also, I have a few sub setups laying around. I was hoping to hook up a small one for now. Would that work with the factory unit? Say a small 8 or 10" tube type?

I was strongly considering the factory unit, but I wasn't sure how hacked up the original wiring was. Also, I have a few sub setups laying around. I was hoping to hook up a small one for now. Would that work with the factory unit? Say a small 8 or 10" tube type?
    Plenty of people have replaced the stock sub. Do a goggle search and you'll find them. I went with an Infinity BASSLINK.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

I might have missed it but did anybody ask if there were amplifiers installed anywhere in this setup? That will be important to know when he starts changing equipment and wiring everything back up.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information