Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All 4 tires same size??

jcb100 Guest

Question All 4 tires same size??

Anybody know if you can run the same size tires on rear as on front? I drive my 03' over 1,000 miles per week highway and want to maximize tire wear by being able to rotate all 4 tires. In order to do this I need to equip. the rear wheels with same size tires as front. Tire shop says it will work?

Merc. dealer says no way as it will screw up ABS etc. as car is "programmed" for the larger rear tires. The Crown Vic police crusiers have all 4 same size so maybe it would work. I have heard some guys putting winter sets on MM's and they donot mess it up??

Help from anybody greatly apprectiated.

Welcome!!!!

I know a few people here are running 4 same sized tires,... Hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

I'm pretty sure you can get your EEC re-programmed (or just get a chip) that can be programmed to accommodate your wishes,.. not to mention add a few HP!

Winter tires: yes they were smaller rims but, they were taller tires. so the dimension stays the same.

Tom

Yes it is possible, and no it doesn't screw up the abs. I ran same size tires all winter. Lot's of us do.

Dig a little deeper in the 'search' function and I'm sure you will find additional input.

Here is one to get you started: SAME SIZE TIRE THREAD

HERE'S ANOTHER

AND YET ANOTHER
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 03-15-2004 at 06:10 PM.
    2017 Niro

You can change tire size in the EEC, but what happens is the ABS module is setup for the two different size tires, the front tires spin 4 MPH faster than the rear, if you install the same tires all the way around you will get traction control light if you have TC, I am working on a fix for this issue but it will not be cheap

JCB100 - Welcome to the MM site. It is the best by far. Nice folks and good information. One thousand miles a week is a lot of driving. When DR speaks everyone listens.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Yes, you can run 4 tires the same size withour disruption to the ABS. I had 255/50 on all four corners without a problem for thousands of miles. Moreover, you can play with different sizes and combinations, as long as you stay inside a pre-defined ratio. I don't have the EXACT specs, but I respected a 1.05 tolerance between front and rear without problems.

Example...My 255/45 front tires are 27.04 tall. My 285/45 rears are 28.01 tall, and within the 1.05 limit. Should I change my rear tires to a 305/45, they would be 28.81 tall, and may throw an ABS code, that would go out when I took the tires off. I'm sure this can be corrected or shut off in the ECM. Traction control is another story I know nothing about. Here's a neat applet, 3rd down, to check your sizes.

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

schuvwj Guest

Post tires same size??

I've ran the same size tires (as rear) for all four tires for over 4,000 miles.

No Problems at all!

Yep! As long as you don't have TC. Well, you can do it then also, but the TC light will come on. I run the smaller front tires on all four corners. Speedometer is about 3.5 -4% high, but Dennis has curred this, or will have curred this when I get my tuner back. Otherwise, on my non TC equipped car, all's well. The car has 50K on it, and I've run the last 20K with the same size tires.

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Arrow welcome

Welcome aboard. I plan on running even sized tires when I get my MM. I also checked with Jason at Alternative Performance and he said he could recalibrate the speedo for even sized tires with a chip. I plan on doing this when it happens.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

After I wore out my first set of tires, I went to the same size all around. Been that way for about 3,000 miles now and it's great.
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

I had same size front and rear for winter, about 27.0", the TCS light will come on at about 36-38 mph and it feels like someone cut out 4 cylinders. But, simply turn off TCS switch, and all is fine. ABS is fine. I did not recalibrate anything.

TP Blue 03 B

jcb100 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    After I wore out my first set of tires, I went to the same size all around. Been that way for about 3,000 miles now and it's great.
    What size did you use on all 4?

JCB100, how about a little information from you. I would have asked before, but I figured by now you would have offered. What model marauder do you have? And do you have T/C? Did you READ the links I offered? Those folks tell you what size they are using.
    2017 Niro

I'm about to install four front 235/50/18's on mu car and get it alligned. I know it's only about 3% speedo difference, but is there a way I can get Ford or somebody to reprogram my ECM (code BMD0) so my speedometer reads correctly for free? I don't want Ford to give me a whole lot of if I ask them to do it.

I have a 300A
    2002 Lincoln LSE
    3.9 V8 5-speed automatic
    Born 4-12-02
    Purchased 2-20-05

2000 Lincoln LS Sport
    3.0 V6 5-speed manual
    Born 8-30-99
    Purchased 10-2-03

"Imports are like tampons, every ****y has one"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Soulsby
    is there a way I can get Ford or somebody to reprogram my ECM (code BMD0) so my speedometer reads correctly for free? I don't want Ford to give me a whole lot of if I ask them to do it.
    Stephen:

The short answer would be NO...Ford will tell you the car is designed to have different size tires F & R, and any changes you make will be at your own risk...

I also doubt a dealer has the ability to go in and change only certain parameters in the programming the way Dennis/Wes/Lidio can. Their re-flashes are all-or-nothing batch transfers...

...and I've certainly never heard of a dealer doing ANYTHING for free...
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 03-19-2004 at 07:25 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information