Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California Smog rules

Is there a California approved super charger? Strange an Eaton wouldn't be acceptable, I'm in the market for one.
    2003 300a
    Stock

Like life and like the alternative lyrics to the Dead Kennedys version of I Fought The Law... "The don't mean shtt if you have the right friends."
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Quote Originally Posted by Panther dude View Post
    Is there a California approved super charger? Strange an Eaton wouldn't be acceptable, I'm in the market for one.

Vortech makes a carb e/o approved supercharger for the marauder. But for the price it seems like a last resort for us Californians.

1.1999 P71 stock
    2.2003 Marauder 300A Mods: JLT intake MSD coils SCT livewire TS with custom Mo's tune

There are no supercharger makers that have properly greased the palms of the CARB (California Air Resources Board) with enough cash to get their product approved for the Marauder.

Even if the exact same supercharger is approved for another vehicle (like a Mustang) it has to be tested on a Marauder by CARB and again paid for to be approved

California CARB laws suck big time!!!!

But how do other guys get their rides licensed after building, modding and even engine swaps? I've seen late model cars with LSx motor swaps in all makes and models and they have California plates.

If there is a process of modding a car and having it checked and approved in California. Then what's so hard about getting a Merc with an Eaton on it approved?

Is the process really that bad and difficult to do?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom
    Last edited by guspech750; 05-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by HBTMD View Post
    There are no supercharger makers that have properly greased the palms of the CARB (California Air Resources Board) with enough cash to get their product approved for the Marauder.

Even if the exact same supercharger is approved for another vehicle (like a Mustang) it has to be tested on a Marauder by CARB and again paid for to be approved

California CARB laws suck big time!!!!
    There is one ... Either Vortech or Trilogy. I just dont recall which one it is.
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

The motor installed in target vehicle must be newer than year of target vehicle, and smog as though it is in the car the motor was originally intended.

Here are the CA engine swap rules dumbed down.
    1.) Same year engine or newer
    2.) Same Fuel delivery system or newer
    3.) All smog equipment required for the year/make/model engine.
    4.) Exhaust system retained in the exact configuration as original factory installed.
    5.) All fuel tank sensors or tank from the same year/make/model vehicle as engine. The installation of a donor tank may require inspection by DOT (Department of transportation) safety division ONLY if Referee tech feels it is unsafe. Any aftermarket tank must have an EO (Executive Order) number that corresponds to the year/make/model vehicle and or year/make/model of engine.
    6.) Engine must pass smog requirements from the year/make/model engine and have functioning service lights on dash with diagnostic plug and NO computer code alarms.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

What he said ^^^^^

In reality it's not hard to do, it's need to run low emissions and pass a visual.

1.1999 P71 stock
    2.2003 Marauder 300A Mods: JLT intake MSD coils SCT livewire TS with custom Mo's tune

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    The motor installed in target vehicle must be newer than year of target vehicle, and smog as though it is in the car the motor was originally intended.

Here are the CA engine swap rules dumbed down.
    1.) Same year engine or newer
    2.) Same Fuel delivery system or newer
    3.) All smog equipment required for the year/make/model engine.
    4.) Exhaust system retained in the exact configuration as original factory installed.
    5.) All fuel tank sensors or tank from the same year/make/model vehicle as engine. The installation of a donor tank may require inspection by DOT (Department of transportation) safety division ONLY if Referee tech feels it is unsafe. Any aftermarket tank must have an EO (Executive Order) number that corresponds to the year/make/model vehicle and or year/make/model of engine.
    6.) Engine must pass smog requirements from the year/make/model engine and have functioning service lights on dash with diagnostic plug and NO computer code alarms.
    Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Great quotes!!
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodmarauder View Post
    What he said ^^^^^

In reality it's not hard to do, it's need to run low emissions and pass a visual.
    That info almost applies to any state as far as engine replacement. A dealership or lets say an insurance company paying for an engine replacement will not approve an older year engine than what the vehicle is to be installed.

Now what someone does on their own dime is another story.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by gdsqdcr View Post
    There is one ... Either Vortech or Trilogy. I just dont recall which one it is.
    I believe it was Vortech.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Vortech has a CARB EO#; all smog equipment must be in place then assessed by a state referee to approve. I am restoring all cats, going with cobra manifolds and an eaton on top....eventually.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

Vortech is the only CARB legal choice in Cali. For Mercury Marauder Vortech supercharger the California CARB E.O. numbers are D-213-20, D-213-25, D-213-26, and D-213-27. The exemption documenations from here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

So today I went to get my 2004 smogged, the computer came up with "referee" and the test could not continue, anybody gone through this? I have to go to a local college and have some referee look at my marauder?!?!?! I passed smog two years ago and pass visual. The first question the technician asked is this a police vehicle. I guess my 'rauder has a history.

Quote Originally Posted by rsdunphy View Post
    So today I went to get my 2004 smogged, the computer came up with "referee" and the test could not continue, anybody gone through this? I have to go to a local college and have some referee look at my marauder?!?!?! I passed smog two years ago and pass visual. The first question the technician asked is this a police vehicle. I guess my 'rauder has a history.
    Do you have mods?
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information