Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel injector issues with only 300 miles

saphireplatinum Guest

fuel injector issues with only 300 miles

Just bought a Marauder and found with only 300 miles on the odometer it started running rough at about 55 mph and blowing oil out the dual exhaust. It was like a bad Cheech and Chong movie.......

It was diagnosed at the dealer as a fuel injector problem. I drove it around about a 100 more miles that night and had to take it back to the dealer. Has anyone else had any problems with the injectors in the first 1000 miles? Is this usual for this engine....... I think not in the research I've done. People were mostly complaining of the transmission when I was looking into this purchase.

I am currently getting about 10 miles to the gallon with this problem. And this was supposed to support a weekly commute between Michigan and Buffalo. Damn, I'll be broke in no time.... 10 miles to a gallon.

Wecome aboard!
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem with your shiney new MM. I haven't heard of any problems like that before.

I hope the dealership sqaures you away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by saphireplatinum
    it started running rough at about 55 mph and blowing oil out the dual exhaust.

I am currently getting about 10 miles to the gallon with this problem.
    First of all, Welcome!

Second, are you sure it's OIL out the tailpipes? Is the smoke blue or black?

If it's running rough, putting out black smoke, and only getting 10 MPG, it does sound like an injector issue as your dealer said. Possibly one stuck open, making that cylinder very rich, which would give the above symptoms. It could also be a problem with the MAF or the ECM...

None of these potential problems is common, so let us know what the dealer finds, eh?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Anyway, keep us posted, please.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

saphireplatinum Guest
    The smoke is blue and the original thought was a fuel injector stuck open, I took it back to the dealer last night and I'll find out later today what they suspect.

Thanks for the support, I only joined earlier today and I already love this site!

Allright, I'm off for my trip to work (all 315 miles of it).

Blue smoke would indicate burning oil, wouldn't it? Bad valve guide?
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Welcome to the site. Is your car a 2003 or 2004?
    2003 Marauder 300A built 10/15/02 CD changer/ storage organizer
    2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
    2000 Honda Accord EX V6
    1989 Turbo Trans AM GTA Intercooled 3.8 V6 (20th anniv. pace car #197 of 1555) 1,400 original miles

Welcome to the MM site. Hope the problem gets resolved quickly.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Welcome! and let us know when you get back....thinking out loud....should this car be taken on a road trip in this condition???

I thinking loaner, since it's still so new.
    Last edited by CRUZTAKER; 03-30-2004 at 04:09 PM.
    2017 Niro

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    If you are getting only 10mpg, most of that fuel is probably ending up in your crankcase, diluting the oil, and being thinner, this oil is more readily getting into the combustion chambers and burning.

I can't imagine why your dealer would diagnose the problem and then let you drive car unfixed.

If your oil has been diluted there could be other damage caused

Excellent point, RC...I should have seen that one...you da' man!
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

saphireplatinum Guest

Good thing I still have my Crown Vic

I didn't think it wise to entrust myself to getting across Canada/ Michigan in the Marauder yet, so I kept my backup.... and probably will keep it for awhile longer now.

The second trip back to the dealer and they still didn't fix anything just diagnosed and gave it back. (again a fuel injector).....

It's a 2004 in silver. Pretty sweet looking. Already catching eyes,..... and unwanted glances from the Troopers in New York when they don't see a plate on the front (registered to Michigan).

TripleTransAm Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by saphireplatinum
    The second trip back to the dealer and they still didn't fix anything just diagnosed and gave it back. (again a fuel injector).....

Interesting... are they, umm... GOING TO FIX IT????

You risk ruining the ring seal in this cylinder by washing it down with fuel. Get it fixed ASAP and do a compression check in a couple thousand miles.

Mitch

I know that you would rather not think about this right now, but for your sake I'll say it:

I think that it's very important for you to go to your dealer, and insist that they give you receipts for both of the two times that they worked on your car to correct this problem. And make sure BEFORE you leave that there are dates on BOTH of those receipts. if they try to tell you that you don't need a receipt since it was warantee work, tell them that you insist on receipts anyway for your own records and that you are entitled to them weather it's warantee work or not.

If they will not cooperate, then ask for the service manager's name first, and then ask to talk to him about that, and tell him the same thing. You might very well need the receipts with the dates on them IF they do NOT fix the problem completely by the third time. The Lemmon law sates that upon returning your car for the third time to the dealer for the same problem, they still do not fix it, then you are atleast entitled to a whole other new car(or possibly a refund, but I'm not possitive about the refund part). But the law stipulates that the three visits to your dealer have to all be within a certain time frame (it's eather 30 days, or 90 days) so you might very well need proof that you were there three times as well as what dates the three times occured, and that's why you should alwys ask for a receipt. Most dealers will NOT give you one for warantee work, unless you demand it. And I'm sure that it's because of this law they don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information