Thread: Wilwood Brake discoloration

Question Wilwood Brake discoloration

Installed Wilwood FRONT brakes in June 2010... they were an improvement, but not as much as I had hoped for...but worth every penny..
    The TCE Hat/Rotor assembly has discolored... the center black portion is now kind of a bluish/purple color. It appears to have been anodized originally. Has anyone refinished these? OR replaced the center portion with new black units...this is purely an esthetic thing...just drive me nuts...
    and I'd like to replace the bolts with new one too and/or Stainless steel, if available...
    Thanks, Architect
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Modifications to my 2004 Mercury Marauder:
    "Xcalibrator SCT" Flash...BEST MODIFICATION...
    "Ford Racing" 410 gear
    18"X8.5" Black Bullitt Wheels
    Black Lugs and Black Aluminum Valve stems
    "Ford Racing" Center caps
    Black Wilwood Brakes (fronts)
    A-Pillar Mounted "ScanGauge II"
    "Powered By Ford" coil covers
    30% Window Tint
    "X-pel" Light Shields
    "Magnaflow" Stainless Mufflers
    "Pro-gard" skid plate
    "WeatherTech" window deflectors
    "Stealth Tech" Parking/turn lamps
    Rear Spoiler
    "Sylvania" Silver Stars headlight lamps
    "Kenny Brown" dead pedal
    "Megs" delete resonator tips
    "SS" Titanium Inserts
    Blacked out window trim

Pretty normal for anodizing that gets really hot. My TCE/Wilwood setup black anodizing is fading to a dark purple as well on both the calipers and hats. I wouldn't worry about it. If it drives you nuts you can have it re-anodized or buy new ones, but the same thing will happen eventually.

If that is the biggest concern you have with your Marauder you are doing very well!

As far as being disappointed in the stopping power, does that mean you just have 13" fronts and stock rear? I have the 14"/13" setup and the stopping power is very impressive. Hauls this 4200 lb. juggernaut down from speed no problem.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I have the 13" kit on the front, stock rear rotors, pads & calipers........ mine stops on a dime and gives you $0.09 change!
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Pretty normal for anodizing that gets really hot. My TCE/Wilwood setup black anodizing is fading to a dark purple as well on both the calipers and hats. I wouldn't worry about it. If it drives you nuts you can have it re-anodized or buy new ones, but the same thing will happen eventually.

If that is the biggest concern you have with your Marauder you are doing very well!

As far as being disappointed in the stopping power, does that mean you just have 13" fronts and stock rear? I have the 14"/13" setup and the stopping power is very impressive. Hauls this 4200 lb. juggernaut down from speed no problem.
    14 front and stock rear...
    "Ford Racing" 410 gear
    30% Window Tint
    "X-pel" Light Shields
    "Pro-gard" skid plate
    Rear Spoiler
    "Kenny Brown" dead pedal
    "SS" Titanium Inserts
    Blacked out window trim

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Installed Wilwood FRONT brakes in June 2010... they were an improvement, but not as much as I had hoped for...but worth every penny..
    Take your Merc to a race track with repeated hard braking and acceleration and more hard braking before each turn. I assure you, you will not be disappointed and will realize the full potential of the kits. That is how I came to really appreciate the kit.

Mine have discolored a little. Pretty normal for anodizing aluminum. Doesn't bother me a bit.

Have them powder coated black just not on the mounting surface.

Sent from The White House on taxpayers dimes.

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Great quotes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    you were too busy getting your ass kicked by cool people because you suck and are a worthless excuse for a human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by CBT View Post
    I'm going to punch you so hard between the legs your going to need a GYNA BO to fix it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Eat poo poo and die heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by guspech750 View Post
    Take your Merc to a race track with repeated hard braking and acceleration and more hard braking before each turn. I assure you, you will not be disappointed and will realize the full potential of the kits. That is how I came to really appreciate the kit.
    The BP20 pad compound does need some heat to work at peak performance. They'll still stop when cold, just requires more pedal effort.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Thumbs up Good suggestions...

Thanks for all the good suggestions ... I'm just too picky about how it looks...
    Thanks again, Architect
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Ford Racing" 410 gear
    30% Window Tint
    "X-pel" Light Shields
    "Pro-gard" skid plate
    Rear Spoiler
    "Kenny Brown" dead pedal
    "SS" Titanium Inserts
    Blacked out window trim

Discoloration from heat and UV are common on black anodizing. I've searched low and high for alternatives here in the Phoenix area and have yet to find a good alternative. Wilwood factory hats are now done in black E-coat, a paint process. This process is actually a bit less durable for scratches but doesn't fade and better matches the many now powder coated calipers. Sadly there is no shop here that offers this. The closest I experimented with was a shop that coats guns but oddly I found the finish not as durable as I'd hoped.

The black ano can be painted or even powder coated if you really want. But ideally they should be lightly blasted and the interface taped where it bolts to the rotor. A lot of work there...some BBQ black paint might be much easier and less expensive.

For anyone looking to really 'wake up' your daily performance of the brakes I'd sugget you consider the D or E pad compounds vs the 10s or 20s. Both will over more immediate gratification.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

Thread Information