Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traction Control 2003 Marauder

Smile Traction Control 2003 Marauder

I went to the my local Mercury dealer today and the newest MM on the lot was manufactured in September, (no traction control). I am about to purchase a MM and would like traction control. Most of the rebates end the first week in January, 2003. I think the Ford Motor Co. is trying to deplete it's current stock of MM"s. I have a 2000 GM with the handling package and traction control in (Black) with just 7300 miles. I intended to keep this car for a long time but the MM sure changed my mind. Would like some feedback on what you think of traction control. Thanks John

Thumbs down Traction Control

John,
    I'm VERY happy my MM does not have traction control. I have a step driveway. In the winter with past GM's, I would never get out if it wasn't for the switch in the glovebox to turn it off. As soon as the wheels start to spin it first applies the brakes, then it shuts the engine down. There's times when you just need to spin the wheels to get out.
    Mike Eaton

A politician is Someone who promises someone another person's money.

My car was built September 3 and has traction control. The calibration is not overly aggressive and allows a bit of wheel spin. The on/off switch has been moved to a much more convenient position above your left knee, next to the pedal adjustment switch.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I'm still not convinced that both traction control and limited slip are necessary. Some people swear by traction control though, but usually they have cars that do not have limited slip as well.
    Remember the traction control Marauders still have limited slip.

The Ford literature on TC recommends it be turned off in ice and snow, so it's advantage is on wet, winding roads and in turns I guess.

Limited slip, obviously, is more of straight line traction

It just works the rear brakes in the event slippage is detected, as well as reduce torque of the engine.
    Last edited by RCSignals; 12-23-2002 at 01:09 AM.

RCSignals:

Yeah, I wondered about that myself (TC and posi)...my T-bird offered posi only with the manual trans. The automatic got traction control only. Never liked it...much rather have the posi on a rear-wheel drive car, but since TC is just an extension of ABS, it costs little to add it on...but as mikeenh said, there are times when you just have to spin the wheels to get out...

buy your MM now, jgc61sr2002...unless you REALLY need TC, take advantage of the savings...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

And with the TC you get a mini spare, and with out it, you get a full size (front) spare.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

RancorKeeper Guest
    The traction control on the Bullitt works great on wet roads. I can usually accelerate from a stop with about 3/4 throttle without spinning and I've felt it cut engine rpm twice on the twistys in a rainstorm. But I only use it in wet weather.

The only time I miss TC (had it in my 99Vic)
    is when I throw the car into a wet corner. I have to admit, I got lazy. I totaly agree with the snow driving problems with TC. I'd shut it of then too.

I have a MM built in May 02 and obvisously does not have TC. We have had some snow/ice in N. Indiana and it I really did not have any problems. The one trick is to start off in Second gear. With the limited slip it works great. The other trick, don't drive like an idiot on slippery roads. :-)
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal
    Silencer Removed
    K&N Air Filter
    Amsoil Synthetic

Originally posted by cyled
    The other trick, don't drive like an idiot on slippery roads. :-)
    Maybe someone should tell that to all the SUV drivers in my area...(members of this forum not included )

You've still only got 4 little patches of rubber on the road. Just because you think it's a truck, doesn't mean you can drive it like one...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Billatpro Guest
    WOW I'm finally active so I can post, been waiting for weeks to get on (well ok it's only been 8 or 9 days) What a great site, the info is out standing and everyone seems to be "Real People" Got the MM 16days ago, got to drive it three times. been waiting 15 years for a car like this. TC? mine was built in late oct. NO TC! don't care, I love this car!, did I tell you guy's I love this car? I'll be 58 tomarrow and i feel like 28! damn I love this car.

So,Bill. How do you really feel about THE car? Great car great site.Enjoy, and welcome!
    Black 03MM-A Bought 8/26/02 Built 6/ 21/02 -SOLD
    IMOA MV1, MV2

2008 Lincoln Mark LT, loaded

Billatpro Guest
    Well to tell you the truth, "I'M FREAKIN WILD ABOUT THIS CAR" but I did'ent want to go over board on my first post. and how do you the list of mods and other cars owned under that black line, OH speaking of Black, did I tell you mine was BLACK. how cool is that? and thanks for the welcome!

"Under the black line" shows up whatever you put in the Signature box. You will find that under Preferences.
    03 MM
    88 F250 460/ZF 5 sp 4x4
    78 MKV 460/C6
    77 LTD II
    77 Cougar
    77 Ranchero under construction 8 yrs and counting

Billatpro Guest
    Thanks Ron, I'm gettin the hang of this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information