Thread: Positive or centrifugal blower?

Positive or centrifugal blower?

I just noticed something I am curious about on the Kenny brown site.

The panther uses an Eaton Positive displacement blower and the Marauder uses a centrifugal Vortech.

Is this because (until recently..see Kenne bell) centrifugals were all that was available for the 32V intake?

You would think for a car of this size you would be inclined towards a centrifugal type. I suppose the '03 cobra is using one because the eaton is already such a popular OEM choice. Anyway, I would imagine it won't be long before you will have a choice of the 2.

I was thinking about it because of the lightning 5.4 with the Eaton (too bad it won't fit into the MM) has that nifty intercooler inside the intake valley like the aftermarket Allen engineering kit (but only for the 2V motor)

Now that I have tortured you with my rambling post. All I was really considering was would it make sense to look at a Kenne Bell or maybe a SVO (SVT?) Eaton kit for my not quite here yet MM?
    2003 300A "Morticia"
    2009 Expedition
    1996 E250

FASTEST SPEED POST: 25WPM at 78MPH
    (can only improve with practice)

RancorKeeper Guest
    The supercharged Marauder convertible I saw at this years NY Auto Show had an Eaton unit on it and it looked identical to the Eaton on the '03 Cobra, which was also there. Based on that, maybe the Eaton is the better choice for the Marauder engine. Then again, Ford might have just bolted on an in-house unit to get something ready for the show circuit without really testing it much on the Marauder.

Post Blower

The Eaton Roots style blower produces higher boost at lower rpm's so it would be more helpful to cars that need low end grunt. The Vortech centrifugal produces more compression the faster the rpm's and it also produces lower outlet temps than the Roots blower. What you plan to do with your car would determine which type to use and also whether you have space for intercooler.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

I've been totally out of racing for over 25 years, anyone here know of a web site where I can catch up on my ABCs of supercharging? Nothing too difficult mind you, I'm not seeking a degree in engineering, just a few more basics before I get into real trouble.

Try:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/?source=overture

especially: http://www.superchargersonline.com/t...asp?RecordID=3

http://www.kennebell.net/faq/faqhome.htm
    is a good read although slanted toward their product.

Most of what I have seen on the net comes from the Mustang boards and the manufacturer sites.

The issue always end up being how much air can you move at what RPM and at what temp. I don't see banging the motor off the rev limiter to get my maximum HP all that fun. IMO, entertainment is ALL the boost right off of idle in such a way the can would feel like a 428CJ with 4:11's

Mensera is the only one here with a supercharger? I would be curious to know what his car feels like at the lower RPM's ..... nearly stock? or is it a stoplight screamer with lotsa torque down below 4000 rpms.
    2003 300A "Morticia"
    2009 Expedition
    1996 E250

Heavy,

Did you not see his video?

Oh yes I saw it

But is he seeing all that power in the lower rpm's or are they near the top?

there is a dyno plot here somewhere isnt there? looking.....
    2003 300A "Morticia"
    2009 Expedition
    1996 E250

Heavy

After watching the clip its pretty obvious. Even if most of the
    torque is up higher in the RPM band there appears to be more
    than enough off the line.

Z

Thanks for the links guys, extremely helpful.

Thread Information