Thread: Collector gaskets Repaired

Collector gaskets Repaired

As I stated in my "First Dyno / Tune" thread, the all out WOT on the dyno did something in on my new Kooks setup. After the second run, I started off home some 400 miles and an exhaust tick was apparent. After several WOT's coming out of the chicago toll booths...my marauder sounded like '41 pickup truck pos with rusted mufflers.

I called Jerry, and Mac back in chicago while on the road and they said I probably blew the 'collector gaskets' or had a loose 'egr' connection. I drove home and parked it, and waited for the snow storm to subside. Sunny and 28 today after work, I lifted her off the ground and crawled under. Sure enough, the right side collector gasket was gone...like completely gone! I could see into the pipes throught the crack where the gasket once lived. While under the car, I checked all the fittings and bungs, and the only thing loose was the egr connection and it took a half turn to tighten.

I spoke with Nick, and upon his advice, I went with a more permanent, stronger solution for the way I drive. Copper gaskets and hi-temp silicone.
    I ordered two gaskets, and a tube of silicone from (censored) in Akron, Ohio for 12.95 and they will be at my door tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks Nick, Mac, and Jerry for your reassurance and guidance as I am no mechanic, but I think I have a handle on this one.

And BTW: Have I said how much the KOOKS SYSTEM rocks lately?

They ROCK!!!
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER
    I spoke with Nick, and upon his advice, I went with a more permanent, stronger solution for the way I drive. Copper gaskets and hi-temp silicone. I ordered two gaskets, and a tube of silicone from (censored) in Akron, Ohio for 12.95 and they will be at my door tomorrow afternoon.
    I'm glad you're home okay, Barry, thank you for making the time in your life to come stay with us. I'm also pleased that you have a handle on your exhaust leak. But, why the "(censored)" remark?

Hey thanks Mac. I replaced the collector gaskets and all is quiet...well except for the cam noise that seems louder everyday. I gotta get to the dealer, just reluctant to have the motor torn down.

BTW: I no longer mention non-site contributing resources. I learned my lesson, no plugs to bussiness' that don't sponser us.
    2017 Niro

Barry, just bite the bullet and take it in. They will replace the head and you should be fine. However, i feel your pain, it is not a pretty sight to behold your "main squeeze" sitting with her guts spilled out on the floor. There should be no problem getting the replacement from L/M, my wrench called the hot line and they said,, replace the head, PERIOD. My suggestion would be for minimal down time, drive it until the parts come in. They kept mine, the head arrived but no gasket, so I am still waiting. I hope to have mine back by Thursday.

Thread Information