Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Works Home Install

Stainless Works Home Install

Got my exhaust system a week or so ago, finally had some time to get at it. With work, 4 kids and a shop full of torn apart Model A, its taking a bit longer to do than if a pro did it haha!

But since I have less brain than spare time, I figured I'd do it myself. My sister lives right across the street from me so I pulled it into her garage to do the install.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the kit, I went with a full system from headers to tips, with the cat delete option.

The only issues I'm having are: difficulty getting everything perfectly centered from the x pipe back (going back under it today to loosen everything and try adjusting); and the driver's side hanger doesn't seem quite right. Maybe when I get everything shifted over it'll make a difference, time will tell.

One question I have is about the "play" there seems to be. Is this the nature of a clamped system, or do I just need to get them tighter?

I like the headers, other than a lot of swearing every time I realized I had to remove something for clearance. They ended up going in all right. Would have been a lot easier probably if I had the car on a hoist.

I had the advantage of a two post lift. Life is much easier with a lift. The entire install took a few hours as friends came by and beer was exchanged.

Stainless Works Home Install

I used a two post and I've done hundreds of exhausts. With that said, this was the worst fitting one I've ever installed.. I got it perfect on the 3rd adjustment, except the muffler hangars that were way too short. All I can say is jack up the exhaust as high as you can with a couple jacks, don't be afraid of using a dead blow hammer, two 2 X 4's each one wedged between the driveshaft and the muffler to maintain even spacing, and tighten the clamps till they damn near break.

I personally know a handful of damn good guys in the last year that fought this system to get it to work so it is not you.

I'm about to cut my X pipe out and replace it with an H I think. The system lacks flanges for dis assembly so I will address that as well.

I made these to help with install, best $40 and 1 1/2 hours ever spent!

Finished. It took a lot of effort and persuasion to get it centered.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Those jacks look like a great idea. My home shop is 24x30 with a 10' ceiling so space doesn't really allow for a lift.

I just signed a long term lease on a 50x80 shop with a high ceiling but my partner might raise his eyebrows and ask questions if I put a lift in it. Not much call for one when you spend your days in a hole doing concrete.

I'll get it figured out though. I know its taking a lot longer than it should but I'll get there.

I'll update in case anyone's interested.

wow I hope you like it loud! no cats + Full Sw exhaust may be loud. Which SW mufflers did you get?

I did the maucat install on my MM with just jackstands - 14 hours. ugg - but im very happy with their system, great quality.
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

The shop I went to had to install it twice. They had it off center by 2+ inches. The guy turned into a real dick when I told him to re-install it on center. Then the cat back section came off 4 times for my idiot transmission mechanic to do his thing. Each time I had to do the fine tuning to get the pipes where I wanted them and get the tips straight. The biggest problem I had was the pipe rubbing on the watts link and sending a highly annoying rattle throughout the entire car. Came and went. I actually resorted to trimming off a little piece of the watts link for clearance. The system needs some fine tuning for sure. The headers are problem free. The sound is fantastic. And no drone. The tips should be upgraded with the rounded off edges like OEM. Had a bad clamp and they sent me a new one no problem. Once everything is aligned properly and tightened there is no play.

So don't feel bad. You'll get it. Eventually.
    Last edited by tbone; 04-13-2014 at 11:50 AM.

I went cat free at first too. A little too loud and the exhaust stinks bad. Cats went on.
    Last edited by tbone; 04-13-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    wow I hope you like it loud! no cats + Full Sw exhaust may be loud. Which SW mufflers did you get?
    It seems quiet compared to my F350 (dpf delete with straight pipe is annoying loud), but other than firing it up I guess I'll have to see. I went with the turbo chambered mufflers.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Couldn't have said it any better my self! Headers are golden, exhaust needs to be redesigned for better fitment, especially from the Xpipe back, which throws the entire exhaust off center, and the hangers please! what a joke!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

So, any suggestions on improving the hangers myself?

Quote Originally Posted by joe mosely View Post
    So, any suggestions on improving the hangers myself?
    You can add spacer tubes to the hanger bracket so the hanger will actually reach.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta go to the local supply shop this afternoon, will see if there's anything there that looks like it might work.

Thanks for the imput folks.

First guy cut one sides hanger because he was too far over. Then had to weld an extension on when he centered it right. If it's done right in the first place they should be ok. I finally used a jack to push up on the fully assembled exhaust while I rotated the hangers as far as I could to keep the pipe from rubbing on the Watts link. Good times.....

Yeah I'm currently rounding up all my neighbors' jacks and axle stands so I can loosen everything off and still position it at height.

Y'all would probably get a good chuckle watching what's going on here this afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    First guy cut one sides hanger because he was too far over. Then had to weld an extension on when he centered it right. If it's done right in the first place they should be ok. I finally used a jack to push up on the fully assembled exhaust while I rotated the hangers as far as I could to keep the pipe from rubbing on the Watts link. Good times.....
    You mean if it was manufactured right??? say what you will the Xpipe is not right, and the flow tubes arent bent correctly! its not a bolt on system it has to be modified to fit at all.
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information