Thread: OK, this sucks...

OK, this sucks...

Lifted from Blue Oval News:

The Romeo, Michigan engine line which supplies engines for the Aviator, Mustang Cobra and other products is now closed.

According to sources, the number 7 and 8 cylinders of the Aviator's 4.6L V8 engine are failing between 7,000 and 30,000 miles. Sources also contend that Ford has tried to reroute the exhaust system and install a water pump that can pump more volume in an effort to keep the engine running cooler. It's not known if either one of those proposed changes worked or not. BlueOvalNews was also told that Ford Motor Company has shipped a pallet of finished left bank cylinder heads and a team of non-Ford employees of UAW local 985 to change the cylinder heads in the effected Aviators.

Is my engine going to go crump in the next 3,000 to 26,000 miles?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

LOL, no... That is SO old. I believe the problem turned out to be in the manafold of the Aviators engine, which is why they went to a short/long varriable runner manafold. The problem was never an issue with our motor because of the cooling system setup of the platform of our car, and due to the fact we have the Roush manafold.

Now, I haven't heard anything lately on the Cobra shut down... but I still say they didn't thourgholy test the 4.6L's capabilities with a blower sitting on top of it.

Thanks, LML...

The article was dated just last month (11/08) and I thought the Aviator was a brand new vehicle, that's why I was concerned that since we have the same basic engine as the Cobra, Aviator, etc, we might also have the same problem...

I apologise if this is old hat to the others here, but I'm not used to paying this much for a car, then finding out the engine may go bad BEFORE the warranty is up...

I understand from your reply that we have a different intake manifold than all the rest, and this is what makes the difference?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

RancorKeeper Guest
    I'd also heard the Marauder's intake helped alleviate the problem on Marauders. SVT stopped shipping Cobra's for a little over two weeks as they made some changes to fix the engine problem, but I never read what they did to allay their concerns. Shipments resumed in late November.

lshultz Guest
    RF O,

It's better for your engine to cough up the big chunk BEFORE the warranty expires rather than AFTER..just a little silver lining in that dark cloud...

bnvus Guest
    I thought I heard it was cracked valve seats in the heads of the new Cobra motors?? Anyone hear any other rumors? Logan?

Thread Information