Thread: Transmission cooler lines, output and return?

Transmission cooler lines, output and return?

Im installing a trans temp gauge sending unit today and will be splicing into the output cooler line that sends fluid from the transmission to the cooler.

My question is what cooler line is out from transmission and what line is return to the transmission? (when looking at the fittings on the transmission)

Ive searched on here and found only one thread that states the bottom line is fluid leaving the transmission but Im just looking for a quick confirmation. Id hate to splice into the return line and be monitoring cold fluid all the time.

Thanks!
    2004 Silver Birch w/moonroof. "Isabelle"

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

not to ruin your plans but I think most guys here with trans temp gauges put it in the pan, thats where Mo's put mine, somebody else will post up with the reason,

Subscribing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    2003 Black/Light Flint MM, PROCHARGER D1SC#30, 4.10 GEARS, REAR COOLING MOD, ZACK BIG BRAKE KIT, 3500 STALL, WIDENED REAR WHEELS.

1993 MUSTANG LX HATCH, 347 STROKER, 3.73 GEARS, TUBULAR K MEMBER, TKO 3550 TRANNY, AEROSPACE DUAL PISTON BREAKS.

Yeah someone mentioned putting it in the pan a while back. Someone also mentioned some test port on the side of the transmission that you could remove the plug from and install the sending unit.

The downfall to these methods is they dont give the most accurate readings. The pan temperature is slightly cooler since its exposed to air and the test port I guess has stagnant fluid so it can read artificiall high or low.

I want to know the fluid temp at its hottest point which is when it leaves the transmission and goes to the cooler. I think this is when the fluid is at its hottest?

Of course all of this is assumig the tranmission cooler is sazed correctly.

Eaton swapped summer/fall 2015 with all the gooddies, tune by the one-and-only Marty-O +2psi pulley, Steigemeyer stage 6 port, SWLT, custom ss exhaust, Borla ProXS, Addco sway bars, TCE s/s brake hoses, Hawk HPS pads, Zack big brak kit, J-mod, battery in trunk, full custom audio (never used, blower whine sounds better)

To do list:
    HID headlights, LED interior/exterior, courtesy "3-flash" turn signals, widen wheels, rear deck wing, marauder stencil on cmhsl? bumper cover inserts? deck lid, steering whee, hood liner godshead, more power!

I pick up mine off my ScanGauge II unit, have to add the Xcode in but shows Trans Fluid Temp from what the car computer reads. Nice that it gives an exact number, not a needle pointing to a number range.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    I pick up mine off my ScanGauge II unit, have to add the Xcode in but shows Trans Fluid Temp from what the car computer reads. Nice that it gives an exact number, not a needle pointing to a number range.
    ^^^+1^^^
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Where is the temp sensor located that the computer uses?

I prefer gauges because I can just take a quick glance at it while driving and observe needle position. I dont have to focus for a second to read a number. But to each his own.

To do list:

Quote Originally Posted by dmjarosz View Post
    I want to know the fluid temp at its hottest point which is when it leaves the transmission and goes to the cooler. I think this is when the fluid is at its hottest?
    You are correct, sir. Fluid in the pan goes to the torque converter before going to the cooler, so the output line from the transmission to the cooler has the hottest fluid. This is where Lidio put my gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by dmjarosz View Post
    Where is the temp sensor located that the computer uses?
    It's part of the "lead frame", which is Ford's fancy word for wiring harness inside the transmission. It's basically just a thermistor that feeds voltage to the PCM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Now back to my original question. Does anyone know what lines are what? Diagrams?

To do list:

The lines going to the stock coolers are this. The line closest to the outside of the car is the 'out' line. The line towards the center, or inside of the car is the 'in'. Easiest way i have found to remember it.

The other way to tell is one line will be hotter than the other after running for a few minutes.

I connected my cooler in series with the stock cooler. Fluid goes through the stock cooler, then the aftermarket cooler, then back to the tranny.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 06-02-2014 at 02:22 AM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Top cooler fitting in the case is the cooler return line, Bottom fitting in the case is the HOT line to the cooler. Just follow the metal pipe.

100% sure way is to cut or disconnect both trans lines. Start car, look for the one line gushing - this is the output line.

Many people have gotten this wrong, including transmission shops..
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

Quote Originally Posted by babbage View Post
    100% sure way is to cut or disconnect both trans lines. Start car, look for the one line gushing - this is the output line.

Many people have gotten this wrong, including transmission shops..
    no need to cut lines... see my post above

Thread Information