Thread: ignition coil replacement

ignition coil replacement

hey... i have to replace two bad ignition coils #6 and #8... an easy job... im just having a hard time finding the order of them... anyone know where i can find a diagram of the exact number so i can locate the right ones to replace it.... thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by dream215 View Post
    hey... i have to replace two bad ignition coils #6 and #8... an easy job... im just having a hard time finding the order of them... anyone know where i can find a diagram of the exact number so i can locate the right ones to replace it.... thanks in advance
    Consider replacing all of them as well as the spark plugs. There are some good deals available on OEM coils from Sparta, a vendor on this site.

The PCM is not infallible when it comes to identifying the misfiring coil. And they tend to be intermittent problems. If two coils have already failed, the others are not far behind. This is a known problem with the original version of ignition coil on these cars.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Consider replacing all of them as well as the spark plugs. There are some good deals available on OEM coils from Sparta, a vendor on this site.

The PCM is not infallible when it comes to identifying the misfiring coil. And they tend to be intermittent problems. If two coils have already failed, the others are not far behind. This is a known problem with the original version of ignition coil on these cars.
    +1.

If one or two are going the rest are sure to follow.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If money is tight, you don't need to replace them all at once. Mary's car has 185,000 miles and still has 7 original coils. I replaced one 3 years ago.

If you do decide to go for it, Tommy at Sparta is your friend.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I'm having a misfire issue myself, replaced plugs and upgraded coils to Accel for the 4V. Still having the same misfire and burnt smell. Plugs were all uniform in color with light tan on the ground strap and electrode. No codes thrown, and only happens after the car has warmed up. Sorry dream215 for stealing your thunder :-/

Thread Information