Thread: Removing Lower Control Arms in the Front Impossible?

Removing Lower Control Arms in the Front Impossible?

I need some help. My cars been fighting me the whole way with lowering it. Now I'm stuck $400 more into lowering it because of it fighting me and still stuck. I need help finding out how to remove this bolt

That holds the front lower control arm in place. I had everything else all apart or loose and taking my impact to that bolt wouldn't even make it budge even after soaking it in some of the crap to loosen stuff.

I was just informed that I need to heat it up really hot with a MAPP torch or a propane one and then go at it with all my strength but I'm really worried if it doesn't work. I want my car back I'm sick of being stuck in a beater and have to travel a nice distance this coming Saturday so I'd like to be able to do that in my baby so any assistance in how to remove it so I can get this all done would be GREATLY appreciated.

2003 Crown Vic Lx Sport with a loud exhaust my summer DD
    1 of only 2945 Sports made in 2003

I got some other toys too

166 ft lbs of love. My mech said it wasn't bad, and the only reason he had it was to install the bolts and align.
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    I would use a long box end wrench with a long pipe, or a jack handle over the wrench to give you the torque you need to break it loose.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Alright cool thanks guys. I might grab a breaker bar and large piece of pipe and go at it. It really sucks bad how much this thing has been fighting me for something so simple as just lowering it. And I wasn't sure what torque the impact has going in reverse because I think the tq ratings are just in forward so it may suck at reverse all I know was I was throwing tools and dropping bad words so I figured I was done fighting for the day with it.

You need a bigger impact. You can borrow mine if only for a day or two. If it's just stuck, then she'll break in two at least.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

You need more leverage.

Breaker bar and long pie should be enough.

Try getting the nut off the Watts link...... 200+ foot pounds of torque.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Impact is rated for 500 forward with a max of 700 or some crap like that. I was also having to use a knuckle to get it in there so I'm sure it was loosing force in that. Blew apart 2 knuckles but they weren't supposed to be used with an impact but meh lifetime warranty on them.

Thanks I appreciate it Bob I'll shoot you a call if I still can't get it off to see when I'd be able to borrow it.

I appreciate the help guys. I was worried the arm needed to be in a certain spot or some BS like that for it to be able to be loosened and removed.

Removing Lower Control Arms in the Front Impossible?

I can drop it off or even help for a few if your home day. IIRC it is an 850 reverse torque. I hope your compressor is putting out at least 150 minimum. Also, you should plan on dropping the rack if you haven't already done so. You can get right in that sumbitch and blast away. PM me if you want or just text.

"Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Damn that's a nice gun. Alright I'll shoot you a text if things aren't going too good again. I was looking at the rack debating over dropping it but I saw the ball joints at the end and after dealing with the other ball joints on the control arms I'd rather not deal with them again and have to replace more. Those things are PITAS

Thanks again man

Got one side all done. I ended up using a 25" breaker bar on that bolt and it worked pretty easy actually.

And I can't thank justbob enough for the help he provided me today. Maybe tomorrow the passenger side will go a little smoother hopefully.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdereicup View Post
    Got one side all done. I ended up using a 25" breaker bar on that bolt and it worked pretty easy actually.

And I can't thank justbob enough for the help he provided me today. Maybe tomorrow the passenger side will go a little smoother hopefully.
    Glad to see your making progress! the breaker bar is mans best friend!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

It's all done. Had some problems with the sway bar but justbob helped me out again and finally after fighting with it for a while I got it.

Hell yah,
    I typically take the handle off the jack & slide it over the end of wrench to break loose bolt like these... Leverage is your best friend...

Glad you got it sorted out Art. Now go get an alignment and hit some corners!

"Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Going to be hitting some curvy roads tomorrow night going out to a friends cabin after work. Need to put in the damn custom camber bolts after that and get the new tires put on with an alignment

Thread Information