Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A coupla quickie questions

A coupla quickie questions

Is anyone using a bra on their car to protect the nose?

I see that some are using "Denso" plugs. I assume these are NipponDenso plugs. Why and are there particular specs to shoot for with the plugs or are they just the densos made for the MM?

Why are people using a 180º t-stat? Is that a raise or drop from stock?

Thanks.

Best,

Dan

Yes, several folks here wear a bra on the Marauder.
    Denso's are the IT-20 variety, coupled with the t-stat upgrade (cooler). The off the shelf Denso for the Marauder is the IT-16. Don't know if there is any gain with them.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Is anyone using a bra on their car to protect the nose?

I see that some are using "Denso" plugs. I assume these are NipponDenso plugs. Why and are there particular specs to shoot for with the plugs or are they just the densos made for the MM?

Why are people using a 180º t-stat? Is that a raise or drop from stock?

Thanks.

Best,

Dan
    1. See The Dealer, a sponsor of the site for a good price on a Bra for the Marauder.

2 + 3. Denso's are suggested with 180 stat (stock is 188 I belive) to allow for a slightly more agrresive tune. They in themselves may not deliver any more power, but they work with the whole packadge of "Stage one" Mods.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Another quick Q came to mind. Does anyone have experience with retrofitting the fuel lever set up of the PreDeCon cars?

FYI - I can see me going to the densos and the t-stat. I would want the bra more for the ride home and long highway cruises than anything else.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan; 04-13-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Do the PCM upgrade with the stat and plugs. It'll surprise you!
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    400+ timeslips.

PCM?

Powered Car Muscle?
    Pyro content mass?
    Pure customized Marauders?

Dan confused.

The computer thing. I do like your choices though.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    400+ timeslips.

PCM?
    Dan confused.
    PCM= Powertrain Control Module, if the same computer controls both the engine and the transmission...otherwise it's an ECM (Engine Control Module)...the two are commonly used interchangeably.

Using a chip to override the stock settings for spark advance, fuel tables, transmission line pressure, etc allows the motor to produce more power, better shifts, and so forth. Having the PCM reflashed by using one of the new Superchips Custom Tuning hand-held tuners does the same thing, but without the obvious warranty-voiding presence of an add-on chip. Cooler heat-range plugs and a cooler thermostat allow a little more aggressive tuning.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Ahh, so the 180º t-stat is a cooler unit. Am I correct?

The car I am getting already has the Superchips Microtuner. I guess I should have the car de-programmed and drive it a hundred or so miles and then reflash it to get the right "feel."

Best,

Dan

PS: I can just tell that this is going to be a lot of fun. I love cult cars and cult car enthusiasts.

MikesMerc Guest
    Ahh, so the 180º t-stat is a cooler unit. Am I correct?
    Well...it doesn't really make the engine any "cooler" at all when running in the engines normal operating range. The cooler tstat just opens earlier as the coolant temp rises (ie it opens at 180). Normal coolant operating temps on our MMs are in the 210 to 220 range. A cooler stat will not effect this.

Back in my old drag racing days, I'd often switch to a cooler tstat in order to keep the engine cooler for a short run time...such as moving up in the staging lanes. Other than that, there is no gain in temps once normal operating temps are reached. The rad fan won't turn on until 210...unless you set it to turn on earlier. But even with the fan running early, you won't see temps below 190-195 anyway....still in excess of the 180 tstat full open temp.

I know that I might catch some flak for this post, but, hey, that's the truth.
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 04-13-2004 at 03:19 PM.

You know Dan...I'm thinking if your MM came with a tuner, it may already have the 180 stat and cooler plugs installed. You should ask the prior owner. This basic change of plugs and stat is traditionally done when running a custom EEC program from either a chip, a flash, or a tuner. I'm thinking you may already have these items.

BTW: You need not have/buy the Denso plugs. Motorcraft Part No. AGSF-12FM1 will do just fine. You just need the cooler plug.
    2017 Niro

I love cult cars and cult car enthusiasts.

RF, you draw the pentogram and light the candles, Haggis and I will get the chickens . . . and see if they have any goats while you're there . .
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Better check with TAF on this cult thing
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Not here to argue or flame anyone on this. I've done my own research and have my own results.

Denso plugs and 180 stat (down from the 192 OEM) won't show any remarkable changes, or, improvements in performamce alone. Not until you accomplish custom tuning of the EEC via an add-on chip, or. the hand held programmer. BTW, the hand held is the newer technology. The "chip" had it's side affects we all lived with, but I feel (IMHO) that it's time has run it's course.

Whether by chip, or, programmer, custom tuning adds expanded fuel tables, timing tables, spark tables, transmission shift points and line pressures, while also removing, or, relieving OEM "limiters" and restrictions, as well as allowing for corrections and resets. This engine was programmed to "run hot" to begin with, which cost it some performance, but that was a trade of for lower emissions across the corporate profile.

With these changes in place, cooler engine temps and cooler spark ignition produces an improved combustion process worth 4 HP and 3 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheels. This may seem insignificant in such small numbers, but it all adds up, yes? Just ask the owner who's stuck at 298 RWHP and 298 RWTQ...

Dan...Welcom to the cult of "Two Percenters." No such thing as "just one question" around here, one thought leads to another, K?

Thanks.

The knowledge and support of you guys is great. This is going to be a wild ride.

I can't wait to get the car. It will be neat to be the owner of 1 in 327 cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information