Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 236366676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1125

Thread: Big Brakes on a not-so-big Budget? YEP

Nothing in a braking system is the truest of true. With that said I would personally drive it until I could tell it was changing sound as in going away or just the slightest bit worse. It would be easier to find it if it worsens.

It may just need to all be broken in more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

is the clip under the chevrolet caliber installed correctly ? it fits both ways . and if its wrong it makes noise . happened to me .

The pads not reaching the bottom part of the rotor surface is normal I think. My setup has the same wear pattern and I’ve noticed it on others as well.

i dis agree . the pads not only on this set up , but on all vehicles grab the entire rotor . check your rear rotor for reference . by the way , in your opinion does your vehicle stop any quicker ?

Quote Originally Posted by marauderrocks51 View Post
    i dis agree . the pads not only on this set up , but on all vehicles grab the entire rotor . check your rear rotor for reference . by the way , in your opinion does your vehicle stop any quicker ?
    Wrong......
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

i think you are correct . with out any technical data IMOP its the same .

Yeah, I have to say you are wrong on this one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ficiently.html

Yes, stopping power is greatly increased.
    Last edited by crownvic97; 04-16-2020 at 03:45 PM.

well thanks for that info . makes the investment in the brakes more palatable . they are on now and it is what it is . great research . cleared that up .

Long story short, it was the caliper bracket.

Now for the long story. I got the red a$$ and ordered a new caliper / bracket and hub assembly, which along with the new rotor and pads would just about rule everything else out, beyond a bent spindle (as nothing was contacting the wheel or wheel weights). The hub assembly arrived on my doorstep first. The existing hub was true (I checked the runout and there was no play, but it didn't have the lubed spring in its step that it should. I installed it along with everything else, and there was no change. After taking the caliper / bracket off in anticipation of the new one arriving, I noticed a very odd wear pattern on the lower portion of the brake pad. I don't have pictures handy but it was the outside of the bottom of both inside and outside pads. I checked the previous set of pads and noticed a similar but faint impression...makes sense as I only drove those a few miles vs. these were driven more.

Once the new caliper / bracket arrived I compared the brackets and noticed they were not exactly the same...we're talking 1/16" here, 1/32" there, but not quite the same. No part numbers on them but not quite the same. I installed the new bracket along with the existing caliper (both out of curiosity and laziness). The caliper now contacted the wheel weights. So the caliper was moved outboard, which I'm assuming corrected the alignment issue between the pistons and the pads. I sc***** the wheel weights off, bolted everything together, and there's been no noise since. I'll be returning the new caliper and old bracket to Autozone. I've probably done several hundred brake jobs in the past but this one was the most frustrating. I'll need to get the wheel re-balanced shortly, and may grind the fins on the caliper down first. I had that thought once I saw it contacting the wheel weights but I couldn't help myself...needed to see if that was the fix.

So as previously mentioned this wasn't meant to question the swap nor did I want to encourage anybody to. The pedal feel is great, the car stops on a dime, and ^(@&#(&@#$ it just looks cooler.

is the clip under the chevrolet caliber installed correctly ? it fits both ways . and if its wrong it makes noise . happened to me .
    The third / top clip was not included with either the new calipers or the two new pad sets. I did buy a C5 hardware kit while at the parts store so I have two. I do need to take everything apart ONE MORE TIME to put loctite on the caliper bolts. When I do that I'll install those. Since I addressed the other issues described above, I haven't noticed any noise though I've only driven the car about five miles of light city driving.

Quote Originally Posted by MercLSU View Post
    Long story short, it was the caliper bracket.

Now for the long story. I got the red a$$ and ordered a new caliper / bracket and hub assembly, which along with the new rotor and pads would just about rule everything else out, beyond a bent spindle (as nothing was contacting the wheel or wheel weights). The hub assembly arrived on my doorstep first. The existing hub was true (I checked the runout and there was no play, but it didn't have the lubed spring in its step that it should. I installed it along with everything else, and there was no change. After taking the caliper / bracket off in anticipation of the new one arriving, I noticed a very odd wear pattern on the lower portion of the brake pad. I don't have pictures handy but it was the outside of the bottom of both inside and outside pads. I checked the previous set of pads and noticed a similar but faint impression...makes sense as I only drove those a few miles vs. these were driven more.

Once the new caliper / bracket arrived I compared the brackets and noticed they were not exactly the same...we're talking 1/16" here, 1/32" there, but not quite the same. No part numbers on them but not quite the same. I installed the new bracket along with the existing caliper (both out of curiosity and laziness). The caliper now contacted the wheel weights. So the caliper was moved outboard, which I'm assuming corrected the alignment issue between the pistons and the pads. I sc***** the wheel weights off, bolted everything together, and there's been no noise since. I'll be returning the new caliper and old bracket to Autozone. I've probably done several hundred brake jobs in the past but this one was the most frustrating. I'll need to get the wheel re-balanced shortly, and may grind the fins on the caliper down first. I had that thought once I saw it contacting the wheel weights but I couldn't help myself...needed to see if that was the fix.

So as previously mentioned this wasn't meant to question the swap nor did I want to encourage anybody to. The pedal feel is great, the car stops on a dime, and ^(@&#(&@#$ it just looks cooler.
    Glad you got it figured out!

I recently did a big brake upgrade on my car. Check out the video links below that gives a pretty good step by step of the process.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-QqwdOBdwW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-Vs5JT..._web_copy_link

2003 300A Black MM
    Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    Modding a Marauder is a classy, time taking experience - like sipping fine aged spirits. It's meant to take your time, savor, and enjoy!!!!
    FRPP ALUMINATOR MOTOR 10:1
    BC AUTOMOTIVE TRANNY 2800 STALL
    TRILOGY S/C WITH POSI PERFORMANCE PORT
    STAINLESS WORKS LT HEADERS
    METCO REAR CONTROL ARMS AND WATTS LINK
    ADDCO FRONT & REAR SWAY BAR
    MONROE HD QUICK STRUTS FRONT
    QA1 ADJUSTABLE REAR SHOCKS
    EATON LIMTED SLIP DIFF:FORD RACING 4.10'S
    DUAL AEROMOTIVE 340LPH PUMPS, 40AMP BAP, WITH DUAL FPDM'S
    ZACKS BIG BRAKE SWAP w/ TCE SS LINES
    SCANGAUGE MONITORING....^....^....^
    ALL SECURIED WITH A VIPER SECURITY SYSTEM REMOTELY STARTED BY MY VIPER IPHONE APP

Can someone please provide me with the eBay link to purchase the adapter brackets? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Javonys View Post
    Can someone please provide me with the eBay link to purchase the adapter brackets? Thanks
    Post 1...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Question C4 or C5 calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by MercLSU View Post
    The third / top clip was not included with either the new calipers or the two new pad sets. I did buy a C5 hardware kit while at the parts store so I have two. I do need to take everything apart ONE MORE TIME to put loctite on the caliper bolts. When I do that I'll install those. Since I addressed the other issues described above, I haven't noticed any noise though I've only driven the car about five miles of light city driving.
    When I link to the Napa calipers on the kit list, it shows them to be a C4 Corvette, 97-2004. Is that wrong? You said you used C5 calipers.

I was literally just ordering the calipers, I have all the other pieces.

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 236366676869707172737475 LastLast

Thread Information