Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brakes on a not-so-big Budget? YEP

Quote Originally Posted by JBeezy View Post
    After looking back at the pics it's actually pretty clear what needs to be opened up, duuhh. That's what lack of sleep does for me. Not sure what I was thinking.
    Nothing needs to be opened up, ground off yes.

You can't make a mistake....grind aluminum until the bracket holes line up with the factory holes. Doesn't get any easier.

Currently working on a complete write-up, but I'll wait until I return from the track tomorrow to finish it up. But to answer some key questions here and for anyone going forward for the install this weekend, here is some of my findings:

My backing plate did not need to be removed, no clearance issues. I'd guess about 8mm of clearance between the plate rivets and the rotor. I left mine on.

Grinding the caliper mount ears is very minimal and quick. I used a die grinder with a coarse resurface disc, your really just needing to polish off the edge of the ear, I did not remove more than 2mm of material.

The rotor centerbore was slightly more difficult, I used a die grinder with a carbide grinding bit. Go around a few times, then test fit the rotor, if it does not slide all the way on go around a few more times and repeat until it fits. The iron is more difficult to grind away.

Finally a big issue for me was caliper clearance aginst the wheels weights. My outer tape weights hit the fins at the end of the caliper. Two part repair, first grind down the 8 fins on each caliper from the outer edge of the caliper to about 3/4 inch inward untill the fins are flush with the caliper. This grinding took the longest, I used a die grinder with a sanding disc to removed the bulk of the material, then resurface discs progressively softer to polish the visable surface. Also rebalanced my wheels moving the outer weights as far outward as possible.

To come with the write up will be videos of the mounting ear and rotor grinding, and various install pictures.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Post up videos from the track too if you can
    2003 Trilogy Supercharged Marauder

Brackets came the other day. Now just gathering the other parts.
    Born 03/04
    Adopted on 01/03/05

2084 of 3213 & 691 of 983____Moonroof 185 of 335 of 1213

Now Procharger boosted #04

The wheel weight issue is the same as the Baer kit. If you get your wheels rebalanced with the weights in the center of the hoop, they clear. Take a close look at our wheels there is slow point in the center.
    Last edited by Comin' in Hot; 09-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

But it is less effective to dynamic balance them with the wheel weights so close to each other and will require more weights to be added in that location.

This issue was never mentioned in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    But it is less effective to dynamic balance them with the wheel weights so close to each other and will require more weights to be added in that location.

This issue was never mentioned in this thread.
    I was just thinking about this, there's also low-profile wheel weights that are thinner than standard stick-on the wheel weights.

I don't think it was mentioned because it's hit or miss....
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I was just thinking about this, there's also low-profile wheel weights that are thinner than standard stick-on the wheel weights.

I don't think it was mentioned because it's hit or miss....
    Discount tire stores near me stock the low profile wheel weights, not sure if they all do
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Not to state the obvious, but the ability to locate balance weights as required across the width of the wheel to accomplish a good balance is pretty important.

If the calipers don't clear wheel weights that is a problem.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Quote Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post
    Not to state the obvious, but the ability to locate balance weights as required across the width of the wheel to accomplish a good balance is pretty important.

If the calipers don't clear wheel weights that is a problem.
    Calipers do clear the low profile weights.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post
    Calipers do clear the low profile weights.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    Currently working on a complete write-up, but I'll wait until I return from the track tomorrow to finish it up. But to answer some key questions here and for anyone going forward for the install this weekend, here is some of my findings:Finally a big issue for me was caliper clearance aginst the wheels weights. My outer tape weights hit the fins at the end of the caliper. Two part repair, first grind down the 8 fins on each caliper from the outer edge of the caliper to about 3/4 inch inward untill the fins are flush with the caliper. This grinding took the longest, I used a die grinder with a sanding disc to removed the bulk of the material, then resurface discs progressively softer to polish the visable surface. Also rebalanced my wheels moving the outer weights as far outward as possible.
    I hope you are right, I wish the best to all involved in this potential solution to Marauder braking issues. I only commented because Logizyme mentioned an issue with clearance.
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

They clear low profile weights, which is what about every tire place carries now

Not sure what low profile weights are but the ones we use at work are not more than 2mm thick probably less. Worst case you static balance (inside edge only) the fronts. On a roadforce balancer you can achieve a decent static balance. Most of my cars that have had custom wheels have been balanced that way with minimal issues.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

Quote Originally Posted by 8UWITH6 View Post
    Not sure what low profile weights are but the ones we use at work are not more than 2mm thick probably less. Worst case you static balance (inside edge only) the fronts. On a roadforce balancer you can achieve a decent static balance. Most of my cars that have had custom wheels have been balanced that way with minimal issues.
    Those would be the low profile weights sir.

The full size ones are a full 3mm. So next time she says size matters, she's right

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Even low profiles are likely to be problematic based on my fitment, and while not as big of an issue as relocating the weights inboard, lower profile weights mean they are further spread out, also reducing the accuracy of the balance, but this is minimal and is only worth mentioning.

You've already got all your tools out for grinding, what's a few more minutes to grind down the calipers?

Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast

Thread Information