Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25656869707172737475
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1125

Thread: Big Brakes on a not-so-big Budget? YEP

Quote Originally Posted by jonmac21 View Post
    I may just go ahead and buy the Corvette calipers and GT500 rotors and take it all to a local machine shop to make a bracket to attach it to the MM knuckle...
    Member Jerry, lji372 makes the brackets..he is busy at his business and most don't frequent here so much..all went to Marauder page on Facebook
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    Member Jerry, lji372 makes the brackets..he is busy at his business and most don't frequent here so much..all went to Marauder page on Facebook
    Hey thank you so much! I did not know this, I thought Zack made them. Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by jonmac21 View Post
    Hey thank you so much! I did not know this, I thought Zack made them. Appreciate it!
    Zach & Jerry teamed up to design and Jerry fabs in his shop

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Zach & Jerry teamed up to design and Jerry fabs in his shop
    Thanks guys!!

Love all the comments... but seriously, some of use dumbasses are looking for dummy proof links to the parts needed.... outside of the brackets....

2003 300A
    Born: 09/05/2002
    #4713 of 7838 / #4712 of 7093 Black

K&N FIPK CAI / FRRP 4.10s Gears
    SCT Dyno Tune
    Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars
    Sparta Watts Link & Control Arms
    Steeda Pulleys
    Megs Resonator Delete Tips

Handholding is always nice, but if you can put the parts on yourself, I sure hope you can read what model car the rotors and calipers are for and find the ones you want on RockAuto.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Sweet. Did this job last week, took it out for a track day weekend, and HOLY **** THAT'S GOOD.

Breakdown is C5 calipers from Rockauto, 18FR1853/4, $234 for the pair. Specified no logo, came with the corvette logo, ground it off with an 80 grit flap disc and under paint, you literally cant tell.
    GT500 rotors from Summit, got the raybestos 680497PER, $181 for the pair
    TCE Zack kit, $194. Need to double check my front line routing now that they've been used for a bit, but the lines are nice and came with all the hardware. On the front brackets, the ones that hold the junction of the hardline to softline, the holes for the bolt and the guidepin weren't very precise, I'd advise re-bending, grinding, or drilling before you take the old line off and have brake fluid dripping everywhere while trying to make it fit.
    I went with expensiver race pads from Hawk, HB247S.575 for $264. If you're not tracking your car, go with a street compound from a normal company. These are expensive and loud, but holy cow do they stop hard, and I haven't experienced even a hint of brake fade yet.
    And of course, the brackets from Gerald Irwin, who is easiest to find on Facebook. $170 got me a pair of very nice looking brackets, anodized, with appropriate hardware for attaching the corvette caliper. You'll need to grind a little of the spindle ears, I just made sure I could get a piece of paper between the spindle and the bracket.

So for a total of $1043 and a few hours of work, it feels like I've increased the stopping power of the car by at least 60%. More importantly for my 20-25 minute track sessions, I've increased the heat capacity of the system and no longer need to take a chill lap in the middle. And it fits inside the stock wheels, wheel weights and all (your mileage may vary). And most importantly, it looks great. Now I need to order the matching rotors for the rear and some fresh Hawk HPS pads to keep up.

As far as the unused inner strip of the rotor: You're getting the braking force farthest from the axis of rotation, which has the most leverage when it comes to slowing you down. You're also getting the most out of the surface area of the rotor, since Area = pi*R2^2 minus pi*R1^2. If the visual is really that big of a turn off, maybe get the GT500 caliper too, make your own custom bracket, and then get bigger wheels because it's probably thicker than the corvette caliper and won't fit between the rotor and the stock marauder wheels.

Anyways, 10/10 recommend

So I just did the big brake upgrade to my Marauder and all I can say is this is one of the best upgrades I've ever done.
    It stops SOOOO much better than stock set up, I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to improve their front
    brakes in these cars...
    Thanks guys.

So 5 month update: I run my Marauder at track days at road courses around the southwest. I'm pretty sure I drive mine harder than anyone, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Performance has continued to be astounding. The increase in braking force and heat capacity has dramatically improved my confidence in driving and I can push this thing into corners way harder than anyone on track would suspect. I've ran through a couple sets of Hawk DTC-60 pads, they have incredible braking force and no change in feel as things get hot, even at the most demanding tracks. Impressive, but $300/set hurts, so I'm trying out the carbon metallic brakes from Performance Friction concepts, available from local parts stores for $99/set. So far so good, and it's nice having access to the range of pad options that are made for the C5. The TCE lines are great, just make sure they fold nicely at installation before you tighten anything down, they can end up rubbing on tires if you're not careful. Gerald Irwin's brackets continue to be excellent. The first set of slotted Raybestos rotors I had finally cracked after like 7 track days, I knew I was pushing it when I didn't replace them before the weekend that it happened, I'm going to buy more, Slots seem to work much better than the blank rotors that I had to get in a pinch. Speaking of getting rotors in a pinch, don't forget that the hub bore of the mustang rotor needs to be opened up a smidge for the panther hubs. I'm going to keep a spare pair that are already modified on hand because that was a pain to do in the paddock.

My biggest problem is the Rockauto sourced C5 calipers. They're rebuilt, as any 15+ year old caliper you can buy is, but there were some surprising quality issues: the slide pins were different side to side, one had a hex head, one had a round head, and on one side, the bolts that hold the caliper to the slide pin come on the verge of stripping, there's maybe half of the thread depth left the first time I removed them to change pads. I've also developed an issue with one side getting loose and letting the caliper move around, it was already tight on the mustang 18s I track with, but at the end of this last track weekend I had scrapes both on the inside of the wheel and the outside edge of the rotor. Since I ground the "corvette" off and shaved the fins to fit the mustang 18s (fanblade design, the Marauder 18s fit with no shaving with plenty of clearance), I think I'm a little married to those calipers, so I may have to source replacement brackets, slide pins, and bolts. Again, this is an issue that's developed over months of track abuse, for spirited street driving you probably wont have this issue.

Question for Zack and Jerry: I've learned that the C6 base model caliper fits the same bracket and provides more strength against flexing, why not use it here? Is there an issue with fitment under the stock wheels?

Thanks again for putting together such an awesome kit.

I went ahead and swapped C6 front calipers onto the C5 brackets, they seem to give a little better pedal feel under hard abuse. I've been dailying on 19 inch mustang wheels and running high brake clearance 18s at the track, havent had a chance to throw the stock wheels back on and see if they clear the thicker calipers.

Here's my brake pad report:
    Hawk HPS and HPS+: Excellent. Pricey for street pads, but you get what you pay for and they hold up to aggressive use well.
    Hawk HT-10: More aggressive stopping power than HPS, very good heat resistance for sustained abuse. Wears very quickly when hot, though. $250/set
    Hawk DTC-60: Excellent track pads with relatively good cold (street) characteristics as well. More durable than the HT-10, I usually get about 5 track days out of a pair. V expensive at $300/set
    Performance Friction Compounds carbon ceramic whatever: Bought these at Oreillys when I got tired of paying for DTC-60. Great for street use, but hi-temp track use deposits a lot of pad material on the rotors. Enough to give the car a vibration under braking. Seemed to be a long lasting pad. $100/set
    Powerstop PST731: Rockauto's track day brake compound. Smaller friction puck than some, but this doesn't seem to hurt performance under extreme conditions. Only ran for one track day so far, but I was impressed. Too soon to say about durability yet. Seems dustier in street use than track use. $100/set

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.drives View Post
    I went ahead and swapped C6 front calipers onto the C5 brackets, they seem to give a little better pedal feel under hard abuse. I've been dailying on 19 inch mustang wheels and running high brake clearance 18s at the track, havent had a chance to throw the stock wheels back on and see if they clear the thicker calipers.

Here's my brake pad report:
    Hawk HPS and HPS+: Excellent. Pricey for street pads, but you get what you pay for and they hold up to aggressive use well.
    Hawk HT-10: More aggressive stopping power than HPS, very good heat resistance for sustained abuse. Wears very quickly when hot, though. $250/set
    Hawk DTC-60: Excellent track pads with relatively good cold (street) characteristics as well. More durable than the HT-10, I usually get about 5 track days out of a pair. V expensive at $300/set
    Performance Friction Compounds carbon ceramic whatever: Bought these at Oreillys when I got tired of paying for DTC-60. Great for street use, but hi-temp track use deposits a lot of pad material on the rotors. Enough to give the car a vibration under braking. Seemed to be a long lasting pad. $100/set
    Powerstop PST731: Rockauto's track day brake compound. Smaller friction puck than some, but this doesn't seem to hurt performance under extreme conditions. Only ran for one track day so far, but I was impressed. Too soon to say about durability yet. Seems dustier in street use than track use. $100/set

Any idea if the c6 caliper fit with stock 18” wheels ?
    2004 marauder black purchased new. Sold 9/16 at 297,000 miles. Still ran strong didn't burn a drop of oil.
    2003 marauder black 28,000 miles all stock. Garage Queen.
    2004 marauder red daily driver.

Hello guys and gals. Thanks to all that made this happen !!! Just did this to replace my KVR rotors which were made of unobtainium and went belly up long ago. Completely worn down but stayed true to the end. Could have had discs made but $600 later in same boat. Grinding and bolt up with bracket was fine. Only issue is the C5 pads don't cover all the disc surface area. Lose approx 15% contact towards bottom. Aesthetically challenging. Pads are not tall enough. Got the leverage though and using Carbotec X8 compound pads. Pricey but best pads I've had on any vehicle over last AHHHGGG!! 50+ years. As Mikey says try it you'll like it. Talk to Mike or Mike Jr. at Carbotec.Fast response and very helpfull. Proverbial hit the brick wall stopping. Better have premium rubber. Will post pics when I get a chance. Call/text me me if you want 908-208-3735

Thanks, Stan

Has anyone experienced annoying squeaking from the brakes when going over bumps?

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Has anyone experienced annoying squeaking from the brakes when going over bumps?
    I have about 175,000 miles on this brake upgrade. I experience squeezing when the pedal is depressed and the brake pads are less than 1/2 of new. If its happening going over bumps I would check your wheel bearings/ hubs for movement.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Turned out to be the body mounts.
    Last edited by Serge; 09-02-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25656869707172737475

Thread Information