Thread: Replacing tensioners and guides.

Replacing tensioners and guides.

getting some naaaaaasty rattle on startup and idle and low rpm acceleration...
    ive never done anything like remove the timing cover but ill have my genius father to help me out. he said that hed lack the tools to remove the cover but honestly it looks like its pretty straight forward. only looks time consuming is all.

anyway i want to get replacements for said items. im wondering if there are shops i could go to buy parts as to avoid shipping times and costs. i can drive out and get the parts if theyre available in the lower mainland bc or down in the seattle area. also what kinda time frame am i looking at to get this done? couple days i think?

a friend of mine sent me this vid dunno how much of it is relevant to the DOHC engine

ill be searching around mm.net and cv.net for more info on getting this done in the meantime.
    4 Doors, No nonsense, Make room for it.

Purchase date 01/21/2014

My sister calls my marauder a glorified Grand Marquis

Merc Family

Nightmare Banshee
    King of the Highway
    300A Black
    164400-223000K Still Nothing Broken
    5697 of 7838

K&N CAI
    4.56's
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Stock audiophile deck replaced with Android based touchscreen head unit
    6 CD Changer, Traction Control, Canadian Cluster

I had my primary tensioners, gear chain arms and gear chain guides replaced. Lots of chain slap on startup and once the oil warmed up to normal operating temp it made a rattle at low rpm (below 1200 rpms).

I recommend getting the metal tensioners which I discuss in this thread http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=92299

You'll need left & right primary metal tensioners, left & right gear chain arms, left & right chain guide arms, and a Felpro Timing Cover Gasket Set p/n 45980. Also need some new coolant of either a pre 50/50 mix or pure and mix it yourself since you'll need to drain the radiator to remove the coolant hoses.

You may also need a valve cover gasket set and new O-rings for the COT (Crossover Tube).

I had a fellow MM owner do mine, he was able to get the timing cover off without removing the COT or valve covers. He loosened the bolts on the valve covers and shimmed them enough to get the timing cover off. Also had to shave/chip part of the oil pan gasket away for more leverage.

I ordered the tensioners from RockAuto and got the gaskets and chain guide parts from Advance Auto Parts.

Time frame took about 8-10 hrs and that was moving at a slow pace since we bs' ed around, the person who did it also had done it before so it was still fresh in their head. I believe most of the timing cover bolts are 18 ft/lbs tq rate.

Before & After pics http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=92538

Only issues we ran into was getting the timing cover off without removing the COT/valve covers, had some oil drip down off the VC to the exhaust and smoke a bit and then needed to burp the coolant system 3-4 times since it had a lot of air in the system.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Good thread! I like the video. PuntyMario, please keep notes on parts and vendors. I may be doing the same in the not too distant future.
    Recent new owner of a 2004 SB
    RIP 2003 Black 300A

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    I had my primary tensioners, gear chain arms and gear chain guides replaced. Lots of chain slap on startup and once the oil warmed up to normal operating temp it made a rattle at low rpm (below 1200 rpms).

I recommend getting the metal tensioners which I discuss in this thread http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=92299

You'll need left & right primary metal tensioners, left & right gear chain arms, left & right chain guide arms, and a Felpro Timing Cover Gasket Set p/n 45980. Also need some new coolant of either a pre 50/50 mix or pure and mix it yourself since you'll need to drain the radiator to remove the coolant hoses.

You may also need a valve cover gasket set and new O-rings for the COT (Crossover Tube).

I had a fellow MM owner do mine, he was able to get the timing cover off without removing the COT or valve covers. He loosened the bolts on the valve covers and shimmed them enough to get the timing cover off. Also had to shave/chip part of the oil pan gasket away for more leverage.

I ordered the tensioners from RockAuto and got the gaskets and chain guide parts from Advance Auto Parts.

Time frame took about 8-10 hrs and that was moving at a slow pace since we bs' ed around, the person who did it also had done it before so it was still fresh in their head. I believe most of the timing cover bolts are 18 ft/lbs tq rate.

Before & After pics http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=92538

Only issues we ran into was getting the timing cover off without removing the COT/valve covers, had some oil drip down off the VC to the exhaust and smoke a bit and then needed to burp the coolant system 3-4 times since it had a lot of air in the system.
    great intel as always. thanks raven

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimojc View Post
    Good thread! I like the video. PuntyMario, please keep notes on parts and vendors. I may be doing the same in the not too distant future.
    yes i will now that you mention that lol
    4 Doors, No nonsense, Make room for it.

Purchase date 01/21/2014

My sister calls my marauder a glorified Grand Marquis

Merc Family

Nightmare Banshee
    King of the Highway
    300A Black
    164400-223000K Still Nothing Broken
    5697 of 7838

K&N CAI
    4.56's
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Stock audiophile deck replaced with Android based touchscreen head unit
    6 CD Changer, Traction Control, Canadian Cluster

Buy the guides directly from Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBoomz View Post
    I just did this job. Raise the cam covers up to avoid breaking the gaskets. Don't need to drain coolant. Try to zip tie the chains to the crank so they don't jump timing. If they jump you have made the job much bigger
    Person who did mine, removed the coolant hoses and fan to make more room which was fine.

Zip ties on the timing gears and crank were a big help.

If replacing with metal tensioners, its a good idea that once everything all timing components are back on and secure to turn the crank over by hand to get the chains nice and tight then set safety lock ratchet on the tensioners.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

My grand marquis has an engine tick now, seems like drivers side of the motor. I wonder if its the tensioners/guides...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Chains are easy. Don't fear it.

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
    "Since 2004"
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information